It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:35 pm Advanced search

God speed John Glenn

Talk about everything and anything.

God speed John Glenn

Postby originalchas » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:31 pm

originalchas

Re: God speed John Glenn

Postby Blue&White » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:40 pm

My favorite John Glenn moment is when he punched the moon landing conspiracy theory guy in the face when the guy wouldn't leave him alone. There is a great video of it out on youtube. I'll post it later when I get the chance.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:11 pm

Here is the video, but it was Buzz Aldrin, not John Glenn. My bad. Still a great video.

As for Glenn, the man was the bravest of the brave. He had no way of knowing he was coming back from that trip. Pretty amazing guy.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby psu_dad » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:07 pm

Those Project Mercury Astronauts had no way of knowing if they'd even survive the launch.

I saw an interview with the writer Tom Wolfe (The Right Stuff) many years ago where he described being at the ticker tape parade for Glenn in NYC. Wolfe was a mostly unknown newspaper reporter at the time. At one point, he saw a very tough-looking NYPD officer standing on a corner as the car with Glenn went by. And the officer had tears streaming down his face. The emotional nature of that parade was what first convinced Wolfe that there was something way beyond scientific exploration that was going on with the Mercury program.
Donald Trump is a douchebag.*

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:53 pm

Where does the courage come from? I can't comprehend what it would take to sit in a technologically primitive space capsule that is sitting on top of tons of explosives capable of blowing you into bits of cosmic dust. My god, I am happy that I lived in a time where I could witness such accomplishment. And sheer courage. It seems like we could, as a nation, do anything if we just dreamed it. Have we lost that or are we still capable of such monumental achievements? God, I hope so.
Yeah, well...you know...that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.
PittGradPSUMad

Postby hbendle » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:50 pm

"I don’t know what you could say about a day in which you have seen four beautiful sunsets."
Who didn't want to be that guy growing up? Gives me chills to think of it still, I used to eat up all that stuff as a kid.
hbendle

Return to Free for All