It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:20 am Advanced search

"Too big to ...", Continuing the "new era" thread

Talk about everything and anything.

Re: "Too big to ...", Continuing the "new era" thread

Postby psu_dad » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:31 pm

Both companies have crappy price-to-earnings ratios, but it's all about the potential for growth in the minds of investors, which Tesla apparently has. It's the same reason Amazon's stock kept climbing in price even when they they were losing money every year.

Amazon, I totally understand. But I wouldn't touch Tesla stock with a 10-foot pole.
Donald Trump is a douchebag.*

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby Blue&White » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:47 pm

Yes, I'm aware of the P/E ratio and how it impacts price. I'm not shocked that Tesla seems to be it's own private economic bubble right now. I am shocked that investors value it more than GM. Tesla is just a few steps beyond building cars in their garage.

I can't tell if investors are really high on the mystique of Elon Musk or they just really, really worried about GMs long term prospects and the potential looming pension crises. But, it's amazing that a relative start up is more valuable than GM is right now.

If you own Tesla stock, now is probably a great time to ditch it.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby psu_dad » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:11 pm

If things go right for Tesla politically, they could become as big as U.S. Robotics in the movie I, Robot.

By that, I mean if at some point down the road Uncle Sam is forced to get serious about Global Warming or Climate Change or whatever they're calling it now, this could be a huge windfall for Tesla. I could see the tax breaks for electric cars increasing and gasoline taxes soaring to discourage the use of fossil fuels. And Tesla would have a big head start on everyone else. If that doesn't happen, I just don't see the market for very expensive limited-range cars becoming huge. The demographic of affluent people who want to appear "earth-friendly" is not a huge one.

I agree with your bottom line. Had I invested in Tesla early, I would probably take the money and run.

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby Blue&White » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:16 pm

Well, given that when America Was Great we were allowed to pollute drinking water and air with impunity and that is what we are heading back to, I wouldn't count on a massive serge for Tesla until at the earliest, January 22, 2021.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby psu_dad » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:37 pm

I think that's optimistic. Short of imminent disaster, I don't see Americans giving up their SUVs and pickup trucks, or voting for someone who tells them they must. And when I say "imminent", I mean something like verifiable proof that the depleted ozone layer is turning people into zombies.

psu_dad

Postby Blue&White » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:56 pm

I agree we're not giving up our gas guzzlers. But, if we go back to the 70s leven of pollution in our air and water, with rivers and lakes catching on fire, that may get people to stand up and take some notice about environmental issues. The reason the EPA exists is because when companies were unregulated with respect to how they can treat the environment, all hell broke loose. Admittedly, it won't get that bad in 4 years, and most companies aren't going to take the reputation hit for something like that, but I'd be shocked if you don't see some real, tangible issues as a result of these changes as companies scale back their oversight. I'll guarantee that, at some point, there is some big environmental issue that is directly tied to his rollback and the people who support thus will try to argue it was impossible to predict.

It will happen.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:57 pm

Well, you'll be glad to learn that Wells Fargo sure learned their lesson.

Wells Fargo Is Accused of Making Improper Changes to Mortgages

It is unclear why the bank would put through such changes. On one hand, Wells Fargo stood to profit from the new loan terms it set forth, and, under programs designed to encourage loan modifications for troubled borrowers, the bank receives as much as $1,600 from government programs for every such loan it adjusts, the class-action lawsuit said. But submitting the changes without approval violates bankruptcy rules and puts the bank at risk of court sanctions and federal scrutiny. When a lawyer for a borrower has questioned the changes, Wells Fargo has reversed them. (emphasis mine)

Yep, totally unclear why they would do this. A real head-smacker. I guess we will never figure this one out.

Oh, and then at the end there is this gem:

Mr. Limon quickly fought the changes.

If he had not, Mr. and Mrs. Perez could have faced further complications. The new Wells Fargo payments were so much less than the payments the Perezes had submitted to the bankruptcy court that if the trustee had started making the new payments with no court approval, the Perezes would have emerged at the end of their bankruptcy plan owing the difference between the amounts. The Perezes would be unwittingly in arrears, and the bank could begin foreclosure proceedings if they were unable to make up the difference.

So, if your lawyer didn't catch this, you could have come out of bankruptcy and they could have seized your house anyway and sold it off. Nice.

I'm sure the criminal investigation will start any day now. :lol:
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby psu_dad » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:15 pm

What is the deal on that photo of Theodore O. Bartholow III and Karen Kellett, lawyers for the plaintiffs? It looks like a promotional photo for Law & Order.

I'm going to add wording to my Will granting my wife permission to have me institutionalized if I ever pose for a photo like that.

psu_dad

Previous

Return to Free for All