It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:07 pm Advanced search

Off Season Fun

Talk about everything and anything.

Re: Off Season Fun

Postby LioninVa » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:09 am

I have been considering cutting the cord but am not sure. We have had DishNetwork forever, with Verizon for DSL. Dish is ok, but they lose channels in contract disputes regularly and VZ has the Emmertyist (Is that a word?) modems I have ever seen for moderate speed; I have to reset mine 4 or 5 time a day. We are looking at COX for high speed (50-100 Mbps), and if I bundle the Bronze (200 channel) pack, I save almost $150 a month. Dish is trying to talk me out of it. I just don't know how much I would like streaming and need to research it more.
LioninVa

Postby reincarnatedlama » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:49 am

I can't tell you much about Lion but a buddy of mine uses Sling and he is happy with service and said it was much cost effective
Making America Great Again
reincarnatedlama

Postby psu_dad » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:29 pm

VZ has the Emmertyist (Is that a word?) modems I have ever seen for moderate speed; I have to reset mine 4 or 5 time a day.

Interesting. I've had Verizon FIOS for TV and internet for years. While the cost gives me a popsicle headache, the service has been outstanding. When a truck came down the street and tore down the FIOS cable from the pole to my house a few years ago, I explained to them that I was working from home and this was a disaster for me. They had someone over to fix it within a couple of hours. And I very rarely have to reset my modem.
Donald Trump is a douchebag.*

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby LioninVa » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:47 pm

Is your FIOS actually fiber optic? I have heard nothing but good things about that. I have DSL over the phone line as Verizon can edge into the fiber side here for some reason. We have been through 3 modems, maybe 4, in the past decade or so and every last one of them had problems with maintaining connectivity.
LioninVa

Postby psu_dad » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:18 pm

Yes, it's a fiber optic service. Years ago, I had Comcast cable for TV/internet and wasn't delighted with either the service or the constant rate increases. But they had a monopoly in my town at the time. When Verizon wired my street for FIOS, they offered me a great price and I switched. Of course, the original price was an illusion. That has increased quite a bit over the years. But the service has been excellent.
Donald Trump is a douchebag.*

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby LioninVa » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:31 pm

Fiber is the Emmert! I worked in the industry on navy ships for 5 years before landing my current cushy, yet less paying, gig. The speed is unbeatable and if I can make a connector work, just about anybody can. Of course, most connections are not out in front with lots of room so I found myself contorted and uncomfortable more often than not.
LioninVa

Previous

Return to Free for All