It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:48 pm Advanced search

Off Season Fun

Talk about everything and anything.

Off Season Fun

Postby Blue&White » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:56 am

Southern tried to start something like this yesterday and I think it's a good idea. There is no football news to discuss. Baseball is 6 weeks away. And, politics is going to give us a collective bleeding ulcer. So, thought maybe we could come up with some fun topics.

I'll start. There was a good debate on the primary Mets site I look at and I'm interested in people's take: is a hotdog a sandwich?

Discuss.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Re: Off Season Fun

Postby SouthernLion » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:20 am

With a temporary lull in the slumlord action, I have some time on my hands. Sorry.

is a hotdog a sandwich?

No.

What I believe is a more pertinent aspect of the hotdog debate, is what condiments do you prefer? And why?

I like a spicy brown mustard, sweet relish, a touch of dill relish and sweet (authentic vidalia, if available) onion. No cheese, tomatoes or other 'Chicago' stuff. Definitely no ketchup. Yellow mustard is OK if I can't get SB, but yellow is really a weak, stopgap substitute. Chili? On occasion. And the bun must be soft, ideally heated.
SouthernLion

Postby gmay10 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:49 am

Hot dog a sandwich- NO. You need to have 2 slices of bread to make a sandwich in my opinion. A sub uses hoagie rolls. Kaiser rolls do not make a sandwich. I am not sure what it makes but not a sandwich.

Condiments- French's mustard or a lot of Sauerkraut!!
There was a corner store at the college I attended where they made chili cheese dogs at a great price. There was nothing better on this earth than a chili cheese dog after throwing down a ton of Beast Ice.
#Wentz4president
gmay10

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:37 pm

What in bloody hell is wrong with ketchup on the dog? Ole buddy JP looks at me like I violated his mother when I slather heinz 47 on my dog. I thought it was a sammich.
Yeah, well...you know...that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.
PittGradPSUMad

Postby reincarnatedlama » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:41 pm

gmay is correct - if we examine the grammatical meaning of the word sandwich and examine it's culinary history we can understand the criteria better and also understand the various inappropriate uses of the term.

The word sandwich implicitly infers a "between" contents - the term sandwich is commonly used in non food applications to mean something layered or stuck between opposing outside layers - not simply slotted into an opening of a singular containment system. Also note these outside layers of the sandwich provide a required structural integrity to the entity necessary for overall function in addition to providing a flavor component. Can you eat a hot dog without a bun - of course - can you eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich without bread - good luck. Does a sandwich cookie contain two wafers surrounding the tasty middle or one with a canyon carved in it? Cheese and pepperoni on a ritz cracker is an houre duerve (forgive the spelling) - slap another ritz on top and it is a sandwich cracker. If a simple slotted containment system were adequate to deem something a sandwich then a taco is a sandwich. I suppose next we will be calling reality show boobs viable presidential candidates!
Things got off track and somewhat loose when the generally illiterate knuckle draggers from Philly coined the term steak sandwich - clearly this was an improper use of the word sandwich and this food offering belongs more appropriately in the submarine or hoagie family.

But then again I can count the number of hot dogs I've eaten in the last five years on one hand and they were all plain - so you might not want to listen to me.
Making America Great Again
reincarnatedlama

Postby LioninVa » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:02 pm

I eat mine plain as well. I prefer them grilled with the bun toasted on the grill as well. I don't think it's a sandwich but never thought about it before. For the record, my favorite is Smith's in the casing but Hebrew National is a decent substitute.
LioninVa

Postby Blue&White » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:07 pm

A hotdog sits between two sides of the bun. I think there is an argument it's a sandwich but I think the deciding factor is you can cut a sandwich in half. No sane person would cut a hotdog in half. We are (current politics aside) not ruled by the insane. Ergo, a hotdog can't be a sandwich.

And, you put mustard on a hotdog, spicy or yellow. Ketchup on hotdogs is for psychotics and OSU fans.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby Shore Lion » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:09 pm

I like to split mine open and then grill them in a skillet. Spicy brown mustard for me too. Sometimes some kraut. And yes, I brown the buns too. Which is another question. What kind of buns? Around here I prefer potato rolls but I do have an affinity for the rolls they have in New England. The ones they use for lobster rolls. I've never seen them around here.
Shore Lion

Postby psu_dad » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:17 pm

I can count the number of hot dogs I've eaten in the last five years on one hand and they were all plain

I eat mine plain as well.

Sweet Merciful Jeezus.

You must put mustard on a hot dog. Spicy brown is preferable. Yellow will do in a pinch. Relish is optional. I prefer sweet red relish myself. Only a small child is allowed to eat a plain hot dog,

Mrs psu_dad: Your son doesn't want you to eat hot dogs.
Me: I'm speaking hypothetically.
Donald Trump is a douchebag.*

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby gmay10 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:26 pm

From google on the history of a sandwich: "The bread-enclosed convenience food known as the "sandwich" is attributed to John Montagu, fourth Earl of Sandwich (1718-1792), a British statesman and notorious profligate and gambler, who is said to be the inventor of this type of food so that he would not have to leave his gaming table to take supper.

I read somewhere or possibly saw it on the Andrew Zimmern show that he would put the meet between 2 pieces of bread.
Last edited by gmay10 on Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#Wentz4president
gmay10

Next

Return to Free for All