It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:47 am Advanced search

Off Season Fun

Talk about everything and anything.

Re: Off Season Fun

Postby reincarnatedlama » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:48 pm

The people on this forum are (using a restaurant industry term) "heavies" in terms of consuming the product and many of us miss the old days when Sportcenter showed highlights instead of talking heads - when they cut to another game instead of post game press conferences - they need to get back to watch heavies want to see - and that's primarily men's sports. Now if as you state they are challenged to fill airtime with the product people want maybe they have to consider they have oversaturated their market and have too many channels and should consider paring back their menu. But make your heavies happy - don't drive them to change the channel.
In my estimation ESPN has not reacted to well to getting "ESPNed". ESPN stole market from the networks and really caught them flat footed with their programming. The college networks, MLB, NFL, golf channels did that to ESPN. They need to retrench.

And don't lie - you'd watch an Ed Kranepool or Art Shamsky three hour biopic before you'd watch the Texas Tech - Houston women's basketball game.
Making America Great Again
reincarnatedlama

Postby Nat@PSU » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:15 pm

Does anyone here seriously believe that ESPN would pursue a course of action that was outside of a path to gain greater ratings and in turn higher profits? I for one, do not. I find much of the women's sports coverage to be fairly uninteresting to me, but frankly stated, I'm not entirely sure we're ESPN's target audience anymore.

I think they're looking for something much broader than the "heavies" you've referenced. We may not like it, but well, . . . money talks.

And while I generally much prefer the male version of most competitions, I will say that some of the Women's World Cup matches have matched/exceeded their male counterparts for excitement and entertainment. And generally I prefer women's volleyball. That preference is . . . . ahem . . . multi-tiered. :roll:
Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this clown.
:May the reign of our Dear Leader be short and inconsequential, much like his fingers."
Nat@PSU

Location: The Dystopia that used to be known as the United States of America

Postby psu_dad » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:29 pm

And, you can always change the channel.

I invariably do. If ESPN were an "add-on", as opposed to part of my basic package, I would have dropped it a long time ago.
Donald Trump is a douchebag.*

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby reincarnatedlama » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:31 pm

I don't think lower ratings are their intent rather than a bad decision - I'm sure the guy who came up with New Coke didn't do so with the intent of losing market share (and his job).

And I'd I would say their are some women's sports that are justifiable from a ratings standpoint (WC is a great one), NCAA hoops tourney, Olympics. I would see WNBA being a ratings dog.

I watch women's vball of B1? - primarily because PSU is good - and in general I would extend your "appreciation" to female athletes in general - probably take track / field over vball though.
I didn't start doing road races until middle age - wish I would have started earlier - way better female to male ratio than bars and a lot of fit girls - especially when you get into 10Ks and half marathons.
reincarnatedlama

Postby reincarnatedlama » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:01 pm

Back to the #DTTwitterChanllenge - add "Alina Tet quits spamming nf.com"
reincarnatedlama

Postby SouthernLion » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:57 pm

At this point on the sports calendar I'm so baseball-starved I'd watch dad's Aunt Agnes pitch BP to B&W's cousin Gertrude if it were televised.
SouthernLion

Postby Blue&White » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:33 pm

SouthernLion wrote:At this point on the sports calendar I'm so baseball-starved I'd watch dad's Aunt Agnes pitch BP to B&W's cousin Gertrude if it were televised.

You ain't kidding. I'm so baseball starved I've been reading Yahoo articles on baseball.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby Nat@PSU » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:39 pm

Guys, that's really depressing. I'd recommend watching some lacrosse games. Obviously I'm a bit biased as a former player and someone who has coached for over 11 years.

ESPNU broadcasts a lot of games in the spring and the WatchESPN app has almost unlimited coverage.

A few highlights from PSU's own beating of Cornell (an upper echelon Ivy league team that Tambroni left to coach the Nitts) this weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLqTeriT1lk
Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this clown.
:May the reign of our Dear Leader be short and inconsequential, much like his fingers."
Nat@PSU

Location: The Dystopia that used to be known as the United States of America

Postby Carl Spackler » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:06 pm

I remember football players used to play lacrosse at PSU.

Nat, is lacrosse the sport where the ncaa hosed you on extended eligibility?
Carl Spackler

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:20 pm

Blue&White wrote:
SouthernLion wrote:At this point on the sports calendar I'm so baseball-starved I'd watch dad's Aunt Agnes pitch BP to B&W's cousin Gertrude if it were televised.

You ain't kidding. I'm so baseball starved I've been reading Yahoo articles on baseball.

I'm just starved...as in hungry. Think I'll grill a couple of Hebrew Nationals. WITH PLENTY OF KETCHUP! How dare you interlopers impugn the world's greatest condiment...one that pairs well with nearly everything. Including the hotdog. I'm not letting this go. You don't know who you're messing with.
Yeah, well...you know...that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.
PittGradPSUMad

PreviousNext

Return to Free for All