It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:48 pm Advanced search

2017 Baseball Season

Talk about everything and anything.

2017 Baseball Season

Postby Blue&White » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:22 am

Opening day is a week away! It's so close, I can taste it! Smell it! Feel it!

Anyway, my 2017 predictions.

National League:
NL East: Nationals (I won't bring bad luck on the Mets and pick them here)
NL Central: Cubs
NL West: Dodgers
Wildcards: Mets, Cardinals. I think the Pirates missed their chance to get over that hump and make a real run at the series and finish around, or maybe under .500 this year.

American League:
AL East: Red Sox
AL Central: Indians
AL West: Rangers
Wildcards: Blue Jays, Mariners. I think the AL East is going to be a nasty division, though, and all those teams will be causing fits for the leaders the entire season. I'm not sold on the wild card coming out of the east because I think that division is so strong it's going to hurt them, but I'm sticking with the Blue Jays.

I'm not picking a playoff winner right now but if the Mets rotation can remain healthy then I think they have a real shot at the whole thing. But, they have 3 starting pitchers coming back from surgery after last season. Zack Wheeler trying to come back after 2 years off, and a bunch of starters who are coming back from injuries, including 3 significant back injuries (and 1 of them, David Wright, probably doesn't play in 25 games this year). The Mets have good depth but no one has enough depth to overcome a bunch of injuries to key guys. But, if healthy, I think they are one of the 2 or 3 best teams in the NL.

I also predict that you will see a woman umpire called up as a replacement for a few weeks at some point in 2017 (and if not, it will happen by next year). There are a few women umpires who have been making their way through the minor league ranks the past few years and I know there is one out in the PCL they really like. I think she's going to get a chance in The Show this year. And, I also predict that the vast majority of the population doesn't care. I think most people have long moved past reacting to women or minorities getting opportunities that were once unthinkable.

One week away. I CANNOT WAIT!
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Re: 2017 Baseball Season

Postby psu_dad » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:36 am

AL East: Red Sox

Sweet Merciful Jeezus. There goes my Summer. Right down the toilet. Maybe you could convince appoo to come back and pick them, too.
Donald Trump is a douchebag.*

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:41 am

Wins Over/Under per Las Vegas

Cubs 95.5
Indians 92.5
Dodgers 91.5
Nationals 90.5
Red Sox 90.5
Mets 89.5
Astros 87.5
Cardinals 87.5
Giants 87.5
Blue Jays 86.5
Rangers 86.5
Mariners 85.5
Pirates 85.5
Tigers 85.5
Orioles 84.5
Yankees 83.5
Royals 80.5
Rockies 79.5
Diamondbacks 78.5
Marlins 77.5
Angels 76.5
Rays 75.5
Reds 73.5
White Sox 73.5
Brewers 72.5
Phillies 72.5
Braves 71.5
Twins 70.5
Athletics 66.5
Padres 64.5

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby Blue&White » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:45 am

I think the Mets should beat that 89.5 number but the injury thing really concerns me. I'm tempted to bet the over on the Phillies at 72.5. I don't think they are a .500 team yet but I think they will continue to show improvement and should win 73 games. Dodgers at 91.5? Maybe. I'd take the under on that. That Cubs number is tempting to bet against.

It's always fun to speculate but I just cant wait for the season.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:46 am

My predictions are congenitally bad, so I won't bother. I remember posting last year how invincible the Mets pitching rotation would be from one through five. I feel personally responsible for the Mets bad juju. You're welcome.
Yeah, well...you know...that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.
PittGradPSUMad

Postby Blue&White » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:57 am

I saw that the Tigers are going to try to convert outfielder Anthony Gose to pitcher. He's a lefty and can throw in the mid 90s, apparently. Gose use to be one of the top prospects in the Blue Jays organization and when the Mets traded RA Dickey to the Blue Jays a few years ago for Syndergaard I was mad that they didn't also get Gose and instead settled for D'Arnaud. D'Arnaud has been a decent MLB catcher but has trouble staying healthy and has not yet lived up to his billing in terms of offensive production. But, Gose strikes out over 30% of the time he steps up to the plate and was demoted down to AA ball twice last year. So, I'd say the Mets did much better with D'Arnaud, who at least is a serviceable Major League player (when he's not on the DL, anyway). Funny how things work out.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby LioninVa » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:12 am

Now we need the temperature to moderate a little and become seasonal! My father in law has become quite the Nationals fan in the past couple seasons. He watch Baltimore once in a while, but got hooked into the DC team with the recent success. Maybe I need to switch from my beloved Reds so I can share some interest...
LioninVa

Postby gmay10 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:41 am

Philadelphia Phillies are your 2017 World F'n Champions!!
#Wentz4president
gmay10

Postby Blue&White » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:45 am

It's raining a lot here but it's warming up. April, and especially early April, is always a crap shoot. I know that one of the reasons the season runs so late is baseball looked at weather history and determined that starting the season a little later and running to almost November gets you better weather than starting earlier (late March) and trying to finish early.

What they should be really doing is pushing for more teams to travel south in April. I remember 2 years ago the Mets only series with the Rockies was in Denver the 2nd week of the season. They ended up playing in below freezing weather and snow for the whole series. It was beyond stupid. Who schedules the only match up between the Rockies and any other team to be a Rockies home series in f*cking April? I mean, seriously, how much forethought do you need to realize that could be a serious problem? They also had a series right before or after that with the Twins in MN and had the same problem. Weather is just too unpredictable in April.

If baseball where smart, they would try to make April mostly divisional games so if you ended up with bad weather you had plenty of time during the season to make them up. At minimum, don't schedule the only series between 2 teams to be a home series in a climate where you traditionally have spotty weather until May.

Gmay - I love the perpetual optimism.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby psu_dad » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:53 am

Now we need the temperature to moderate a little and become seasonal!

The Red Sox open at home next week. The forecast is mid-40s and rainy for pretty much the entire week. Should be pleasant.

psu_dad

Next

Return to Free for All