It is currently Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:06 pm Advanced search

2017 Baseball Season

Talk about everything and anything.

Re: 2017 Baseball Season

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:29 am

Blue&White wrote:Pirates OF "Clarice" Starling Marte suspended 80 games after testing positive for PEDs. He can't play for 2 1/2 months, but does he still hear the screaming of the lambs? That's what I want to know.

That is a season killer for the Pirates. Kang is probably out longterm with visa issues...totally self-inflected...and Marte thinks he can get away with taking PEDs. That's two big bats out of a lineup that lacks power hitters. Toss in a young pitching rotation and crappy relievers and what you end up with is a crappy season...and a long at that for Pirates fans who believed the team had emerged from a decades long darkness.
Yeah, well...you know...that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.
PittGradPSUMad

Postby psudelco » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:47 pm

The Phils can use all the help they can get right now, so thanks Jose and bullpen. Eflin settled down and pitched well and Phils bullpen kept the Mets in check. Phils have the 2nd youngest rotation in baseball with Bucholtz going down for the season, I hope they stay healthy and keep pitching well and prospects like Quinn, Williams, Cozens, Crawford, Alfaro and Hoskins play well and push everyone on the current roster.
psudelco

Postby gmay10 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:44 pm

Drill Jay Bruce 8-) Kidding Bdub
#Wentz4president
gmay10

Postby Blue&White » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:18 pm

Drill Jose Reyes.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby Carl Spackler » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:04 am

PittGradPSUMad wrote:
Blue&White wrote:Pirates OF "Clarice" Starling Marte suspended 80 games after testing positive for PEDs. He can't play for 2 1/2 months, but does he still hear the screaming of the lambs? That's what I want to know.

That is a season killer for the Pirates. Kang is probably out longterm with visa issues...totally self-inflected...and Marte thinks he can get away with taking PEDs. That's two big bats out of a lineup that lacks power hitters. Toss in a young pitching rotation and crappy relievers and what you end up with is a crappy season...and a long at that for Pirates fans who believed the team had emerged from a decades long darkness.

We don't receive the Pirates Root network feed, we get the Injuns, wow, sweet......but this is the first I've heard about either issue. Just saw Marte in the lineup against the Cards on Monday night....this sure will be a very long season. Sad but you have to know you can't play with fire (peds) and expect to get away with it. Stupid is as stupid does.
Carl Spackler

Postby Blue&White » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:42 am

'Roids to ruin? Turns out, PED punishments aren't a deterrent

In the Wake of the Marte suspension, ESPN has an article arguing that the punishments for PEDs are not working because people are still getting caught using them. I'm not so sure I agree. Power numbers are WAY down from where they were before these penalties went into effect. So, it's clearly deterring people. Not everyone, but enough. Sure, they can do more, but I don't think it's fair to say it is not a deterrent. I think the problem is that they haven't hit everyone's risk threshold.

Give the teams the ability to break contracts, and then I think you see even fewer people getting caught.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby psu_dad » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:55 am

Power numbers are WAY down from where they were before these penalties went into effect.

I'm not sure that's true. But I think the larger point is that if PEDs help you land a big contract and you end up missing half a season because of it, you're still way ahead. In that sense, it's not much of a deterrent. The trick is to avoid the third positive test result that will get you banned for life.

But as I said before, I can't think of a single example in which a sports organization started testing for drugs and the athletes stopped using them. Even in the Olympics where the penalties are pretty severe, use of PEDs is still widespread.
Donald Trump is a douchebag.*

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby reincarnatedlama » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:01 am

"Give the teams the ability to break contracts, and then I think you see even fewer people getting caught"

Translated : Link decisions and actions to rewards and consequences and you will drive behavior.

I'd love to see old DT take a step toward "draining the swamp" and any Congressman convicted of a felony related to job function (taking bribes, misdirecting contracts, patronag hires, hookers on expense account, sleeping with pages) automatically forfeits their pension benefits.
Making America Great Again
reincarnatedlama

Postby Blue&White » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:10 am

I'm not sure that's true.

You're not? You think it's just a coincidence that only one guy has hit more than 50 home runs since they started testing in 2013 and this became an issue in 2008 or so? We went from having multiple guys hitting over 50 home runs per a year to having 2 guys hit over 45 home runs since testing got into full swing. I think it's tough to argue that reduction isn't related to testing and the big push to clean up the game.

But, your latter point is, I think fundamentally correct. If it helps you get set-for-life money, it's worth the risk. That's why I said giving teams the opportunity to nullify your contract if you get caught would help. There are problem other things they can do to improve the deterrent, but I disagree it's having no impact. I do agree it's not deterring everyone, though. It obviously isn't, as people are still getting caught.

Lama - how about he take that first step and stop hiring the very same people he decried as "the swamp" when he was running? He's hired nothing but lobbyists, Wall Street bankers, and former Congressman; the very essence of "the swamp". You don't get any swampier.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby psu_dad » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:51 am

You're not?

No. It's complicated. HRs were in decline for a while, but there was a huge increase last year in total HRs, basically back to the level of the "steroid era" in the late 1990's.

You're not seeing guys morph themselves into the The Hulk and hit 70 HRs, but you're still seeing a lot of HRs. An article I read last year said much of the increase was due to middle infielders hitting HRs at record levels. Perhaps that's because middle infielders are just much larger than they used to be years ago. Who knows.
Donald Trump is a douchebag.*

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

PreviousNext

Return to Free for All