It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 11:18 am Advanced search

2017 Baseball Season

Talk about everything and anything.

Re: 2017 Baseball Season

Postby Blue&White » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:20 pm

13 games into the season, Jose Reyes has gone a whopping 4 for 46 at the plate. That's a .087 batting average. I realize it's a very small sample, but that is awful. Reyes is on the league minimum and still getting paid around $20M by the Rockies. That sucks for the Rockies but I suppose they may be glad that he's not benefiting anyone else either. As for the Mets, my guess is that if Reyes doesn't turn it around at some point soon, they will cut him and just eat the $550k he's contracted for this year. That may take some time, though, because a) the Mets front office has shown ridiculous amounts of patience with veterans in the past, even ones who are clearly past their prime and b) they don't have a whole lot of options at third base. They stuck their UT in their for a game last week, a career minor leaguer who made the club late last year when they were decimated with injuries, and the kid played so horribly at 3rd that Collins pulled him from the game in the 4th and replaced him with Reyes. And, it's highly unlikely they are getting a lot out of David Wright this year.

I knew Reyes wasn't going to be good, but I didn't think he would this absolutely horrible at the plate.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby reincarnatedlama » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:38 pm

Shore - Britton went on 10 day so hopefully it's nothing to serious (report is forearm stiffness). As you know Buck likes to use a lot of pitchers - not uncommon for him to use 4 in a game where the opponent only scores 3-5 runs. Have to hope starters can push 6-7 and you get those last 2-3 from Brach, Gyvens and O'Day.
Tillman had a bullpen session last week. If he could return and give them a quality start once every 5 games that would take some pressure of pen.

B&W - Tebow could .087 - just saying. You can probably still get that Fireflies jersey.
Making America Great Again
reincarnatedlama

Postby psu_dad » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:04 pm

I knew Reyes wasn't going to be good, but I didn't think he would this absolutely horrible at the plate.

He's at that age (33 going on 34) where the batting skill of many players can disappear quickly. And it generally doesn't magically come back.

Jim Rice was one of the best hitters in all of MLB right through age 33. And that was his last great year. Robin Yount was a .300 hitter right through age 33 and never came remotely close to that again. Neither of them suffered serious injuries. They just lost it.

PS - I like lama's Tebow idea.
Donald Trump is a douchebag.*

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby Blue&White » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:15 pm

B&W - Tebow could .087 - just saying.

They have plenty of guys who can bat .087 in the Bigs. What they need is someone who can't hit but can play third. Tebow can't play third.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby reincarnatedlama » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:04 pm

So give him Granderson's spot and see if Ed Charles a grandson who has a mitt - heck if Jim Palmer has a granddaughter that can throw overhand I'd ship Ubaldo out.
Making America Great Again
reincarnatedlama

Postby Blue&White » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:53 pm

I know you're kidding, but the Granderson thing is a real bug with Mets fans. They are trotting him out there almost every day at the expense of former 1st round pick Michael Conforto (son of the former PSU player of the same name). Conforto came out gangbusters in 2015 but had a serious sophomore slump last year. This year he's off to a great start but they are struggling to find at bats for him. You always hear about how pro sports is a true meritocracy but it is been my observation that is not true. Older players get protected at the expense of younger, better players. Granderson is well past his prime. Trotting him out there to play center field most nights is ridiculous. He can't run. He can't throw. And, so far, he can't hit. He's a notoriously slow starter.

He seems like a great guy and has been a good Met, but, seriously, it's time to give youth a chance. Conforto is not really a center fielder but he's as much of one as 36 year old Granderson is, but with a better arm and a much better bat.

Btw, speaking of Granderson's arm, I'm reminded of some interesting trivia I heard this weekend. Don Baylor is apparently the only outfielder in major league history who played at least 500 innings in the outfield and never had an outfield assist. Even Granderson and his noodle arm have had an outfield assist. Apparently the saying on Baylor was he was a 3 tool player: he could hit, he could field and he could lob. I thought that was kind of funny. But, mostly, I'm amazed he's the only long playing outfielder to not have an assist in the history of the game.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby gmay10 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:21 pm

I am amazed at the lack of arms baseball is trotting out there nowadays! I realize there are a few bombers out there but I listening to someone on the radio that said players are not practicing throwing guys out at the plate anymore during warm-ups.
Last edited by gmay10 on Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#Wentz4president
gmay10

Postby psu_dad » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:45 pm

I remember the story about Don Baylor at the time he played was that he suffered a serious shoulder injury playing HS football and it screwed up his ability to throw. I don't know if that story is true, but I do know that orthopedic surgery back then was practically medieval compared to what it is today.

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby Blue&White » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:49 pm

I looked up Baylor's numbers on baseballreference.com and, per them, he had 27 career assists. So, seems the trivia was Fake News. I heard it on the broadcast of the Mets game over the weekend, and assumed they knew what they were talking about. Guess not.

Btw, Pete Gray, who had 1 arm and played a season with the Browns in 1945 had 3 career assists from the outfield.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby psu_dad » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:13 pm

I didn't believe the Baylor thing, but I didn't get around to looking it up.

He absolutely did have a weak arm, but even guys with weak arms get a few assists if they play as long as Baylor did. You're bound to encounter the occasional knucklehead who tries to stretch a single into a double or advance on a shallow fly ball.

psu_dad

PreviousNext

Return to Free for All