It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 11:17 am Advanced search

2017 Baseball Season

Talk about everything and anything.

Re: 2017 Baseball Season

Postby reincarnatedlama » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:05 am

Part of baseball's problems are the security of contracts - you don't see as much of this in football because it is easier to shed guys who don't play to their contract. Teams are stuck with guys and try to "get something" out of them - hence my Ubaldo Jimenez agita.

Saw some video of Tebow - the guy is absolutely jacked - I actually think his best fit to be a competitive athlete again could be cross fit.
Making America Great Again
reincarnatedlama

Postby psu_dad » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:14 am

That's too niche for him. He needs something more mainstream. Maybe the WWE.
Donald Trump is a douchebag.*

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby Blue&White » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:16 am

15 or so years ago the Wall Street Journal had an article about how baseball's biggest long term problem was guaranteed contracts. It may have actually been written in the 90s, but it's been a while. Whatever the exact date, it was certainly written in the time before pitchers getting $30+ million dollars a year. How many of those contracts are really going to work out for the teams? I'd be amazed if you can look back in 10 years and say even one of those contracts was worth it.

And, if Matt Harvey continues to gain strength and pitch as well as he's been pitching, he's also going to be looking for a monster contract after next season. How much are you going to be willing to pay a guy who had 2 potentially career ending surgeries before he hit free agency? $30M a year? $40M a year? I guess you pay your money and you take your chances, but the economics of baseball really don't make sense.

Regarding Tebow, I'm all for him going for cross fit, but love the WWE idea. I don't even care if keeps playing baseball. I just don't understand why anyone cares. He's an almost 30 year old minor league rookie playing in Low A ball right now. I just looked up his stats and he's batting .184 in what is an admittedly very small sample. But, the trend line isn't good. He strikes out 5X more than he walks and in between he's got a smattering of hits. The only thing he has going for him is he's such a physical monster that any time he does manage to get decent wood on the bat the ball is likely to go a long, long way. 2 of his 7 hits so far are homeruns. And, Low A baseball has a lot of bad pitching and guys who are never going to make it to high A, much less AA. But, a guy who whiffs 5X more than he walks is a guy who is having serious problems with pitch recognition. He's never going to make it beyond AA, if he even makes that far (which I doubt).
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby reincarnatedlama » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:56 am

Big market teams can survive those albatross contracts - they can be franchise killers for small market teams - signing guys to long term deals only to see the guy flame out in two years and then spend 6 years as dead weight while being the highest paid players is just death.

I'm having Glenn Davis and Albert Bell flashbacks.
reincarnatedlama

Postby Blue&White » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:28 am

Even if the guy performs it can kill you. Take the Rangers contract with ARod as an example. The 3 years he was with the Rangers he batted over .300, hit over 150 home runs, drove in just under 400 runs and won 2 gold gloves for his play at short stop. The Rangers paid and ARod delivered. And, in the 3 years he was on the team, the Rangers placed 4th every single year and never finished over .500. Their best year they won 73 games.

The problem was they paid for ARod but had no money left for anyone else. It ended up working out because they traded him to the Yankees for some prospects that they used to build the future, but signing a big name for a lot of money killed them. Even though he delivered as promised, it killed them.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:08 pm

Pirates OF "Clarice" Starling Marte suspended 80 games after testing positive for PEDs. He can't play for 2 1/2 months, but does he still hear the screaming of the lambs? That's what I want to know.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby shane » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:32 pm

Not that the Buccos were going to be great this year anyway, but that's a killer. It would also be nice if they would stop playing teams with "Red" in their names. They are now 0-7 on the season against the Reds, Red Sox and Redbirds (Cards) and 6-0 and everyone else (Braves and Cubs).
shane

Postby gmay10 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:18 pm

BOOM! That is how we roll in Philly! All of my Philly teams suck so I am limited in my happiness.
#Wentz4president
gmay10

Postby Blue&White » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:34 am

gmay10 wrote:BOOM! That is how we roll in Philly! All of my Philly teams suck so I am limited in my happiness.

Freaking Reyes dropping a routine pop-up in the 8th cost that game. He catches that, they are out of the inning. It's not enough for him to suck at the plate, I guess.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby reincarnatedlama » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:13 am

Tebow would have caught that pop up B&W. Heck, most of us would have.
reincarnatedlama

PreviousNext

Return to Free for All