It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:53 am Advanced search

2017 Baseball Season

Talk about everything and anything.

Re: 2017 Baseball Season

Postby psu_dad » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:43 pm

OK. I'm not hallucinating. According to MLB.com, this is the current top of the Yankees depth chart at each position:

C Gary Sánchez 6'2" 230
1B Chris Carter 6'4" 245
2B Starlin Castro 6'2" 230
SS Didi Gregorius 6'3" 205
3B Chase Headley 6'2" 215
LF Brett Gardner 5'11" 195 *
CF Aaron Hicks 6'1" 202
RF Herman Munster 6'7" 272

* He's the team midget and he's the same size as Mickey Mantle.
Donald Trump is a douchebag.*

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby Blue&White » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:59 am

The Mets have 6 starting pitchers. 1 of them (Matz) is 6'2". 4 of them (Harvey, deGrom, Gsellman, Lugo) are 6'4". 1 of them (Syndergaard) is 6'6". There is not a pitcher on that squad shorter than 6'1"

The only starter on the team below 6' even is Cespedes, at 5'10". The next shortest guys are Reyes and Cabrera sitting at 6' even. Everyone else is just bigger. Herman Munster is a monster but the rest of the team is about what you see on a major league roster these days.

Anyway, deGrom's line from last night: 9 IP, 1 ER, 5H, 4BB (including 1 intentional), 6Ks, W

Given how average he's been the past 2 outings, a complete game win was just what the doctor ordered. And against the cubs no less. I'm going tonight. It's going to be a cool 98 at first pitch, and the air is going to be liquid. Can't wait.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby psu_dad » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:40 am

Herman Munster is a monster but the rest of the team is about what you see on a major league roster these days.

There may be other 6'2" 230 lb catchers. There may be other 6'4" 245 lb first baseman. There may be other 6'2" 230 lb second baseman. etc. But as a team,they are friggin huge. When the Red Sox went into Yankee Stadium last week, it looked like the Yankees were playing their annual father/son game.

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby Blue&White » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:10 pm

Aside from Judge, I think the Yankees are really bigger than the Mets. I think having guys over 6' is pretty much the norm these days. There are always exceptions, but it's much more the norm than it used to be. I'm not sure if the Yankees average is higher than normal but the Mets are pretty tall too. And not just the pitchers.

Anyway, the MLB draft is underway. I was reading about the Mets picks yesterday, including some left hander from Oregon who struck out 20 batters in one recent game. I also stumbled upon a story about a kid who wasn't drafted yesterday named Luke Heimlich who was a consensus first day pick until it came out that he was convicted as a minor of molesting a 6 year old girl. The reason it came up was he neglected to register as a sex offender in a town and the press picked up the report. He pulled himself from a college WS game because of it. Wow.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby psu_dad » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:17 pm

I'm not sure if the Yankees average is higher than normal

I haven't the time to research this, but I'd wager they are well above average. I did compare them to the Red Sox and they are larger at every single position. And in half the positions (C, 1B, 2B, RF) they are significantly larger. Perhaps the Red Sox have a small team.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:23 pm

OK. For your viewing pleasure, I've complied the position-by-position difference between the Yankees and the Red Sox. All the differences are in the Yankee's favor.

C 5" 35 lbs
1B 2" 15 lbs
2B 5" 55 lbs
SS 2" 0 lbs
3B 1" 20 lbs
LF 1" 15 lbs
CF 3" 2 lbs
RF 10" 92 lbs

Even if you omit Herman Munster vs Mookie Betts in RF, the Yankees are on average 2+ inches and 17+ lbs bigger. I wasn't hallucinating. And I suspect lama wasn't hallucinating, either.

Mrs psu_dad: No one cares.
Me: FIne.

psu_dad

Postby reincarnatedlama » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:51 pm

Well admittedly the way the Orioles pitching staff was going I was drunk by the 6th inning. I think the starter's ERA over the first three innings of the last three games is something like 66.
Making America Great Again
reincarnatedlama

Postby psu_dad » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:01 pm

Well, I wasn't drunk and I wasn't hallucinating.

Mrs psu_dad: LET IT GO.
Me: FINE.

psu_dad

Postby Blue&White » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:23 pm

So the Red Sox employ midgets. So what? My point was I don't think the Yankees are not, on average, bigger than most teams. "On average" by definition means some teams are smaller. The Red Sox are just anchoring one side of the curve.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:28 pm

On a train so not sure this will post correctly:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/rosters/_ ... order/true

Thus gives averages of every MLB teams 25 man roster (which admittedly is not the same as the starting 8). Orioles are the tallest team on average. Yankees are 5th. Red Sox are 12th.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

PreviousNext

Return to Free for All