Wrestling

Underlion

Re: Wrestling

Postby Underlion » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:50 pm

sameoldlama wrote:I was figuring Underlion meant a 6 point swing - as in PSU didn't get 3 and opponent got 3

Yes, aggressive or maybe a little arrogant. He went from a in control to a loss in 7 seconds.

We could have lost 197 and hwt...it was a big deal st the time.

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:03 am

Sorry I misunderstood. Joseph could have been pinned but wiggled out of that predicament. Something his opponents did not do to Mark Hall and Bo Nickal. Watching Bo you know something is about to happen but darned if it can see it happen - its a blur. I reverse the DVR to a point prior to his move and then use slow motion to see how he does what he does, then I say - how did he do that? He is very fast, a cobra or possibly a mongoose.

Conference championships coming up first weekend in March and the NCAA's in mid March. We need everyone to be rounding into top form and conditioning.

I did see Adam Coon of UM beat Kyle Snyder of OSU 3-1 the other day. For a big man Coon moves well plus it appears Kyle's mystique is ebbing. Nick Nevills wrestled him reasonably well then I heard Kyle has jet lag after returning from the Yagrin, Russian invitational matches but he had returned for over a week when Coon bet him.

David Taylor won the Yagrin event by pinning a Russian champ in the semis and pinning a Turkish champ in the finals. David looks like a beast now at
89 Kg I think. 8-)
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:33 pm

Casey Cunningham <cwc14@psu.edu>

Feb 14 at 3:03 PM

Penn State Wrestling Fans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It has been a busy few weeks since my last update with three weekends in a row of double duals and then the last two weekends of having 2 top 5 teams in the country here at Penn State. Our team has handled the past month and a half really well and the progress is evident with them. They have scored a lot of points and have been exciting to watch and that is why they continue to sell out not only our arena but that of our opponents as well. We were once again able to break the indoor dual meet attendance record this past weekend with almost 16,000 people showing up to cheer these guys onto another victory. We have also sold out Rec Hall for 40 straight matches and this Sunday will be 41 straight matches. It is absolutely amazing the support this team receives from you the fans. We still have almost a month until the start of the National tournament so we will keep seeing improvement from the team right up through the Nationals.

We now get to stay home for our final dual this Sunday against a scrappy Buffalo team and then we are into the post season. We will honor our seniors for their last home match so it will be bitter sweet as these guys have meant a ton to our program yet we are excited for their futures as well. It is always tough to watch guys come to the end of their college careers but it is also exciting as we get to see who is going to be the next guy to step up in their place. Let’s send these guys out with a loud crowd this Sunday.

In my last update I asked if anybody had questions to email me and I would try to start responding to them. I received a few emails that I responded directly to, as they were not necessarily questions that maybe everybody would be interested in. I should have mentioned beforehand though that I cannot answer questions about recruits for the most part and I will not give much information on our team’s injury status as that just does not make a lot of sense for many reasons. There were several questions in regards to recruits and injuries that I was not able to answer but I am willing to answer other types of questions like the one below.

Question: I would be interested in how the coaching staff is able to consistently produce not just great wrestlers but humble gentlemen that are academic all Americans.

Answer: We believe you become a product of your environment. If we continue to surround these guys on our team with people that are motivated and competitive but are also able to see the big picture then we will continue to have guys that are successful in academics and life also.

Thank you for all the support.

GO LIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:12 pm

Rumor has it Jason Nolf is jogging at practice and wanted to wrestle against Buffalo last Sunday afternoon. I think he may be questionable for the Big 10 conf. championships but again he may wrestle a few bouts then exit and prepare for the NCAA's. They, the NCAA's, are in Cleveland this year, driving distance for me but the ticket prices are so high I'll have to pass. Hope someone here is able to attend to give us a feeling of being there for the finals where we will be represented, by how many I do not know but can't imagine any scenario where we are not heavily present in the finals.

Carl Spackler

Big 10 Championships Seeding Released

Postby Carl Spackler » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:38 am

ROSEMONT, Ill. - The Big Ten Conference announced the preliminary seeds for the 2018 Big Ten Wrestling Championships, which are set for March 3-4 at Michigan State. Six schools boast at least one top-seeded wrestler, with Penn State leading the way with four top-seeded wrestlers.

Ohio State and Penn State will bring a seeded wrestler in each of the 10 weight classes, while Michigan boasts a seeded grappler in nine classes.

The pre-seeds, as voted on by the conference's coaches, rank the top eight wrestlers in seven weight classes, along with all 14 starters in three weight classes due to the Big Ten receiving nine or more NCAA Championships qualifier allocations in those classes.

Penn State boasts four top-seeded wrestlers, with 149-pounder Zain Retherford, 157-pounder Jason Nolf, 174-pounder Mark Hall and 184-pounder Bo Nickal. Ohio State and Michigan each hold a pair of top seeds. The 133-pounder Stevan Micic and 285-pounder Adam Coon pace the Wolverines, while 141-pounder Joey McKenna and 197-pounder Kollin Moore earned top billing in their weight classes for the Buckeyes. The Fighting Illini's Isaiah Martinez (165), the Hawkeyes' Michael Kemerer (157) and the Scarlet Knights' Nick Suriano (125) round out the group of top-ranked grapplers.

This year's field contains a combined 15 Big Ten individual championships (nine wrestlers) and 11 NCAA individual championships (eight wrestlers). In addition, Illinois' Martinez and Ohio State's Nathan Tomasello are looking to become only the 15th and 16th wrestlers in conference history to win four individual titles.

For more information on the 2018 Big Ten Wrestling Championships, visit the Big Ten Championships Central page. The complete list of Big Ten Championships pre-seeds can be found below.

125 lbs.
1. Nick Suriano, RU
2. Spencer Lee, IOWA
3. Nathan Tomasello, OSU
4. Sebastian Rivera, NU
5. Ethan Lizak, MINN
6. Luke Welch, PUR
7. RayVon Foley, MSU
8. Drew Mattin, MICH
9. Travis Piotrowski, ILL
10. Elijah Oliver, IND
11. Mitch Maginnis, NEB
12. Johnny Jimenez, WIS
13. Brandon Cray, MD
14. Carson Kuhn, PSU

133 lbs.
1. Stevan Micic, MICH
2. Luke Pletcher, OSU
3. Mitch McKee, MINN
4. Jason Renteria, NEB
5. Scott Delvecchio, RU
6. Corey Keener, PSU
7. Dylan Duncan, ILL
8. Ben Thornton, PUR

141 lbs.
1. Joey McKenna, OSU
2. Nick Lee, PSU
3. Michael Carr, ILL
4. Chad Red, NEB
5. Nate Limmex, PUR
6. Tommy Thorn, MINN
7. Cole Weaver, IND
8. Eli Stickley, WIS

149 lbs.
1. Zain Retherford, PSU
2. Brandon Sorensen, IOWA
3. Ryan Deakin, NU
4. Colton McCrystal, NEB
5. Ke-Shawn Hayes, OSU
6. Eleazar Deluca, RU
7. Alfred Bannister, MD
8. Malik Amine, MICH
9. Steve Bleise, MINN
10. Cole Martin, WIS
11. Austin Nash, PUR
12. Eric Barone, ILL
13. Jwan Britton, MSU
14. AJ Raya, IND

157 lbs.
T1. Michael Kemerer, IOWA
T1. Jason Nolf, PSU
3. Alec Pantaleo, MICH
4. Micah Jordan, OSU
5. Tyler Berger, NEB
6. Andrew Crone, WIS
7. Jake Short, MINN
8. John Vanschenkbrill, RU

165 lbs.
1. Isaiah Martinez, ILL
2. Alex Marinelli, IOWA
3. Vincenzo Joseph, PSU
4. Richie Lewis, RU
5. Evan Wick, WIS
6. Nick Wanzek, MINN
7. Logan Massa, MICH
8. Isaiah White, NEB
9. Te'Shan Campbell, OSU
10. Jacob Morrissey, PUR
11. Bryce Martin, IND
12. Austin Hiles, MSU
13. Brendan Burnham, MD
14. Mike Sepkle, NU

174 lbs.
1. Mark Hall, PSU
2. Bo Jordan, OSU
3. Myles Amine, MICH
4. Dylan Lydy, PUR
5. Johnny Sebastian, NU
6. Devin Skatzka, IND
7. Joey Gunther, IOWA
8. Ryan Christensen, WIS

184 lbs.
1. Bo Nickal, PSU
2. Myles Martin, OSU
3. Dom Abounader, MICH
4. Emery Parker, ILL
5. Nick Gravina, RU
6. Tyler Venz, NEB
7. Ricky Robertson, WIS
8. Mitch Bowman, IOWA

197 lbs.
1. Kollin Moore, OSU
2. Shakur Rasheed, PSU
3. Cash Wilcke, IOWA
4. Kevin Beazley, MICH
5. Hunter Ritter, WIS
6. Christian Brunner, PUR
7. Zack Chakonis, NU
8. Eric Schultz, NEB

285 lbs.
1. Adam Coon, MICH
2. Kyle Snyder, OSU
3. Nick Nevills, PSU
4. Sam Stoll, IOWA
5. Youssif Hemida, MD
6. Conan Jennings, NU
7. Shawn Streck, PUR
8. Rylee Streifel, MINN

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:51 pm

Cool and the gang, Carl. We've come to expect big things. In other words, we've become spoiled with all the success under Cael S. BTW, if anyone has the least interest in wrestling and has never been to the NCAA tournament, do so. It's a great experience. I attended when the tournament was held at Maryland in 1988. John Fritz was the head coach at the time. I knew Fritz in college through mutual friends and sneaked down on the floor to say hello. I was like a little kid in the candy store with all the legendary coaches present, Dan Gable among them.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

Underlion

Postby Underlion » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:51 pm

That was a little disappointing. Saving Nolf, hoped for more from Lee, Joseph, and Rasheed as a package. OSU got 125 as a gift since Suriano forfeited.

Hopefully the results are different in 2 weeks.

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:54 pm

I missed much of the only TV event with other duties. Under, how did OSU get 125 automatically? Or do you mean their man got the top spot without much strain? I wasn't sure of the scoring as when we won our score increased a little but when the OSU HWT wrestled their score seemed to soar but again I didn't see as much as I wanted to and possibly missed the info answering my questions.

Underlion

Postby Underlion » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:45 pm

Once Tomasello beat the Iowa Freshman he had no one else to challenge him as Suriano saved himself for Nationals. I think OSU won Hwt and the weight prior where Shakur was never in the match.

Underlion

Postby Underlion » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:51 pm

It looks like the strategy against Zain is to smack him in the head for the first three minutes and then take your chances on the bottom. If he doesn't break you down it is hard to use his favorite Bow and Arrow. I think that strategy comes from the Rutgers match where that kid more or less punched him in the head. Zain can't wear you down if you just dance with him.