Wrestling

Carl Spackler

Re: Wrestling

Postby Carl Spackler » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:33 pm

Underlion wrote:It looks like the strategy against Zain is to smack him in the head for the first three minutes and then take your chances on the bottom. If he doesn't break you down it is hard to use his favorite Bow and Arrow. I think that strategy comes from the Rutgers match where that kid more or less punched him in the head. Zain can't wear you down if you just dance with him.

You nailed it Under. I thought the same thing when watching the Big Ten Championship match, hands in his face all the time. The ref did say something earlier this match but they won't stop it heck the Rutgers kid was penalized and immediately went back to it as I remember. I suspect Cael and Zain will come up with a plan for the NCAA match. IF they don't it's going to be very boring to watch. I understand why an opponent would do it but the official must do his job and stop it with penalties or Heaven forbid, DQ's if they are obstinate. I don't favor DQ's to enforce a rule yet watching Zain get poked in the face constantly needs to be a point of focus for officials and Cael.

The brackets come out this evening at 6 p.m. which is only a half hour from now. Woo hoo. :D
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

Underlion

Postby Underlion » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:10 pm

Wow another NC. Bo went from losing by 4 or 5 to a pin in 4 seconds. Team went from losing to winning in those 4 seconds.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:25 am

Woo! HOO!

WE ARE!
41-33.

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:35 am

Bo has done that sort of thing all season. He has moves that rival Saqoun's. I've watched him in slow motion over and over to try to see how he does it and even in slow motion it is difficult to grasp how he hits his cradle so often from potions that defy gravity and sanity. Myles Martin of OSU must be having nightmares from his domination by Bo and the way Bo did it, again.

The buckeyes faded in the semi's when the seedings did not completely favor them. They have a great team but not as great as the Nittany Lion's Dynasty. They themselves spoke of the rivalry in the TV promo's that were as ubiquitous as were OSU promos.

I watched their 125, forget his name but when he lost in the semi's he congratulated his opponent and then did an interview where he compliments his opponent again. Plus, IMar, post 2nd consecutive loss to Cenzo in the finals tweeted that he had done all the right things but was beat by a better wrestler. IMar did look beaten part way through the 3rd period, arms hanging down looking like he wanted to be anywhere else bot there. That was surprising to me but explains his tweet. He was classy. I saw more class by defeated wrestlers than I can ever remember, possibly more TV coverage and social media coverage.

Bo Nickal won the Outstanding Wrestler of the NCAA Tournament.

Zain Retherford won the NCAA Most Dominant Wrestler of the Season

Cael Sanderson won the NCAA Coach of the Year

PSU loses only Zain for the next season.

OSU loses four seniors from this years team when next season arrives.

After PSU's inauspicious beginning of the NCAA Tournament this performance to win it all with four NC's individual champs is remarkable. What a ride, again.
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

Underlion

Postby Underlion » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:19 pm

We would have been untouchable this year had Suriano not gotten homesick. Overall we lose Zain but seem to get stronger in the lite weights next year.

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:23 am

From Coach Casey Cunningham, possibly his last as he is up for a HC job. :( 8-)

Penn State Wrestling Fans!!!!!!!!!

This is my annual end of the season update as our guys make the transition into the off season and for some the freestyle season. There are a lot of exciting things happening over the next couple months with the upcoming World Cup in 2 weeks, the US Nationals at the end of April, University Nationals, the first World Team Trials and then finally with hosting one of the final World Team Trials events. That is a lot of exciting stuff that several of our guys are looking forward to but first I will take a moment now to reflect on this past season and the past nine years since we arrived at Penn State. None of this success would be possible without the foundation that was built before us but it is fun to look at what has transpired in the past few years.

What a season it was once again with many challenges along the way and culminating with what many fans have told me was an exciting National Tournament. The team stayed focused through all of it with their minds on their own personal goals, which in turn allowed this team to win its 3rd straight team title and 7th title in the past 8 years. Our staff and this team does not take winning titles for granted as it takes a network of people including the strength staff, trainers, sports psychologist, director of operations, administration, parents, fans etc to make it a reality of winning championships. When kids come to Penn State to wrestle there is no guarantee that they are going to win but we do guarantee that we will provide the necessary resources to help them accomplish their goals. It is ultimately up to the kids if they want to use everything and everybody around them to achieve their goals but that is the great thing about this sport.

We have been very fortunate as a staff to be able to coach some amazing individuals over the past nine years so the following accomplishments I share are a testament to those guys who bought into the vision when we arrived and propelled this program forward. Some of those accomplishments along with many academic accomplishments include:

7 NCAA team titles,
20 NCAA individual titles,
32 NCAA finalist, 63% of our All Americans have been NCAA finalist
51 All- Americans,
23 Big Ten Individual titles,
3 undefeated National Champions in the same year (only school to ever do this),
With 5 last year and 4 this year we have the most NCAA champions in consecutive years with 9 titles,
4 Hodge trophy awards,
8 All Americans this year (ties a school record) and an undefeated dual meet season. The list could go on but what an amazing job these guys that have come to Penn State have done. As one of our recent National Champions would say, “YOU COME TO PENN STATE TO WIN BIG MATCHES AND WIN NATIONAL TITLES, THAT IS WHAT WE DO!”
We are very thankful for the amazing fans and support that we have at Penn State and are grateful for our past but we are already looking forward and are excited about the future. I will try to send a few updates throughout the summer after some of these freestyle events but for now thank you once again and we look forward to many fun years ahead.

GO LIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:49 pm

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/sports/wrestling/article_9dfce5d6-48e4-11e8-96ae-6b97773a76ab.html

Article in the Collegian yesterday about the wrestling dynasty and its relationship with the NLWC training center, its advantages in training and exposure to world class wrestlers. Interesting article but a bit here and there. It does focus on the professional bent to the NWLC as an advantage to PSU wrestling, and it is. Cael built on Rich Lorenzo's vision in a big way and is capitalizing on it like a bandit in recruiting and training. The results speak for themselves. Seven NC's in eight years. :D :D :D

WE ARE....