Wrestling

Nittany Flier

Re: Wrestling

Postby Nittany Flier » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:02 pm

Wrestling team is in first place after session one. 5 pins in 9 matches and all 9 wrestlers moving to the second round.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:29 am

3 losses in 2nd round including Rasheed getting upset - he was injured much of the season so he might not be in top form. I believe Iowa advanced 10 guys into 3rd round so this could get tight. Going to need guys to keep tapping bonus points and get some points in wrestle backs.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:42 pm

Just witnessed the semi-finals, Iowa was a no show, they are toast. OSU had big dreams, dashed.

P S U dominated, as usual. Six wrestlers into the semi's and five won going into the finals Sat. evening @ 8:00 p.m. I think. Several razor close wins in the bunch and at least one sudden death completion. Only NIck Lee lost and he is a freshman, plenty of time to learn and grow into the dominant wrestler he is destined to become.

The point standings after the semi's have PSU leading OSU by 35 with two more finalists wrestling tomorrow. OSU has some great wrestlers and they act like gentlemen so I can't find the usual fault I save for their participants but their top man. Miles Martin lost a close one. At this level, the competition is so good nearly anyone can lose to anyone else.

Bo Nickal pinned his opponent from Princeton who appeared to think he was in a boxing match given the head slaps and shots he put on Bo in the early going. He paid for that, Bo rubbed him into the mat and they pinned him like the fait acompli we expected, sarcasm noted.

The finals should be fun, ESPIN Sat. evening. PSU is expected to run away with the team championship, four in a row and eight of the last nine! Dominance.

The effort it takes to participate in this sport is remarkable. Dedication and guts. To achieve what PSU has in the past decade is amazing. Cale Sanderson is the man and his staff incl. his brother Cody, Casey Cunningham and a heavyweight I can't recall at this time are doing such a fantastic job with these young men. I believe they choose a very select type of young man to offer when recruiting. We can be proud of these men, coaches, and team, all around.
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

Nittany Flier

Postby Nittany Flier » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:14 pm

PSU has already clinched the national championship. With the points earned in the medal round, OSU cannot catch them.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:23 pm

NINE time national champions!!!!!
National Champions 1911, 1912, 1969, 1981, 1982, 1986, 1994

Underlion

Postby Underlion » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:59 am

A little disappointed that Joseph and Hall lost. I had them and Cassar as Tossups. Wanted Joseph to have a chance at 4 NC's. 3 of 5 final wins is OK. 4 of 5 would have been good.

Hope Cassar gets his medical red shirt.

Nittany Flier

Postby Nittany Flier » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:39 am

It may be a long time coming until we see two wrestlers that are so dominant on the same team at the same time as Nolf and Nichols.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:47 am

Nittany Flier wrote:It may be a long time coming until we see two wrestlers that are so dominant on the same team at the same time as Nolf and Nichols.

Amen - both 3 time National champs, #1 and #2 on PSU career pins (and guys do less matches now) and about half their matches they pinned. These guys barely were even scored upon.

Sanderson has developed a program in which the wrestlers are very aggressive - they don't look to win they look to dominate - they rack up bonus points like you've rarely ever seen.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

saturdaysarebetter

Postby saturdaysarebetter » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:43 am

Underlion, three out of five is ok? Ok? How many other schools would have like to have three national champions and two runner-ups?

I would have liked to have seen Hall and Joseph win but they weren't wrestling chopped-liver out there. The kid from Arizona State was the defending national champion so that wasn't going to be easy. At that level, they're all very good wrestlers. I'll take three-out-of-five every year thank you very much.

Underlion

Postby Underlion » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:40 pm

I didn't communicate well. Being we had 5 in the final and I expected Bo and Nolf to win 1 out of the other 3 was my minimum expectation. I had the other 3 as toss ups so my expectation was 3.5 wins in the final. Joseph is a bit of a disappointment as IMO he just hasn't developed his style or body as much as some. Hall is the littlest guy in his weight class and Cassar definately overachieved.

3 NC's in 10 weights and beating OSU by 40 points is dominant. Was it 7 All Americans? Imagine had Suriano not gotten home sick.

Next year will not be as good, we lose some automatics and then we have Olympics. Last time we lost the NC didn't we have an Olympic year with someone sitting out?