2019 Recruiting Thread

Blue&White

Re: 2019 Recruiting Thread

Postby Blue&White » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:23 am

I didn't realize so many of them basically graduated. That rule I was aware of.

Btw, I'm perfectly ok with this. I have no issues with the players having more options. And, I'm really pleased Franklin is making graduating players such a priority. If the cost of that is players moving on where they can get more playing time then so be it.
Is it football season yet?

ShoreLion

Postby ShoreLion » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:45 am

Franklin's plan is to basically have these guys get their degrees in 3.5 years so if they're good enough for the NFL they have their degree. And the transfer guys, most have graduated, they're not going to go pro and the reality is that Franklin and company are bringing in better talent. Lots of it. So they want to maybe get a chance to play in games at another school before they have to give it up for good.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:53 am

Like I said, I'm all for it. I like Franklin graduating the players on his team early and I really like the idea that college players have more options and flexibility. If it were up to me, there would be absolutely no restrictions on transferring and players would be eligible for the NFL as soon as they turned 18.

psuro

Postby psuro » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:04 pm

So, it's great that these kids are graduating as they are.

My question is - what exactly are they majoring in that allows so many of them to graduate ahead of other members of their incoming academic class? Not every student athlete has to be a Nuclear Engineering major, but there seems to be a lot of the kids who graduate early, and I am wondering if they are being churned out with degrees that are either.

1) Not really useful other than to get an easy degree and get out of college.

2) Below the academic skill set of the individual so that the student athlete it not really challenged.

I know a lot of fans love Franklin's focus on metrics - and graduation rate is one of them - but I hope that if anyone dug deeper, they wouldn't find that these kids are just being run through the system and being treated as data points.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:06 pm

I hope not, too. It's a good point.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:14 pm

I wonder if they are picking up credits during the intersessions or summer session that helps them graduate early. If they can enter early and pick up 6-9 credits over several summers that could cut off a semester. I also wonder if the University has upped it's game in terms of academic support for athletes and they are better able to manage school / sports.

But to echo others - good for them - they put a lot on the line with their bodies so I'm glad they have those options.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

ShoreLion

Postby ShoreLion » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:43 pm

They start early by enrolling in the summer session right after they graduate high school for one thing. As far as scholarships, you can still only sign 25 a year max I believe.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:25 pm

Wast there also a change to the redshirt rule that allows a player to play up to four games, I think, and retain eligibility or not have to sit out if they transfer? I’m not sure if it’s one, the other, or both but I have head this is a factor with the new transfer portal. I really haven’t followed it too closely, however.

Shane

Postby Shane » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:36 pm

I know that the new rule allows a player to play in 4 games and retain their redshirt but not sure it effects the ability to transfer with no penalty.

psuro

Postby psuro » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:53 am

LioninVa wrote:Wast there also a change to the redshirt rule that allows a player to play up to four games, I think, and retain eligibility or not have to sit out if they transfer? I’m not sure if it’s one, the other, or both but I have head this is a factor with the new transfer portal. I really haven’t followed it too closely, however.

Yes, the redshirt rule allows a player to see action up to four games without losing their redshirt status. Several freshman last year got playing time yet were able to maintain their redshirt. I believe the genesis of this was because of injury and players leaving for NFL (although that is a small part of the overall landscape). They can use it at anytime, not just freshman.

Any player who has graduated can transfer without sitting out a year. What we are seeing is the back end of the players who came into college after 1/2 of their senior HS year was completed and getting started their college careers early. If they end up graduating and have eligibility left, they can play without sitting out. (Although I still question the validity of some of their academic pursuits).

Shea Patterson was able to transfer to Michigan and play right away because his lawyer claimed hardship due to sanctions at Ole Miss. Justin Fields, who has the same lawyer, may claim hardship due to a racial issue at Georgia, and may be granted a waiver from sitting out. Long term, the transfer rule may be challenged, although historically, the transfer/sit out rule was in place to eliminate "barnstorming" by talented players.