Former Players Thread

Blue&White

Re: Former Players Thread

Postby Blue&White » Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:50 am

Just in time for Christmas, too. Nothing like perspective around the holidays.

RIP, Josiah.
Is it baseball season yet?

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:52 pm

Dae'lun Darien is now a former player. He's put in for a transfer and is looking to go some place closer to home (so maybe he ends up at Maryland since he's from Baltimore). He said it has to do with his father being ill and some other family issues he is dealing with.

sorry to hear about that and wish him the best of luck wherever he goes - unless it's Maryland. :p

Underlion

Postby Underlion » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:55 pm

Robinson had a good game but da Bears lose to da Beagles.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:50 am

Hack has been dreadful in the AAF and the team is 0-3 - sounding like the end of the line for him. Pretty far fall in 6 years for a guy touted as a top QB prospect coming out of HS.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

nittwittier

Postby nittwittier » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:26 pm

Donovan Smith just signed a big fat contract :)

Remember how much we all thought the Bucs overreached for him in the early second round given his often uneven performances for us in big games? He/they proved a lot of us wrong...happily. Sometimes guys make better pros and amateurs - he is a good example.

Well done!

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:09 pm

Agree, good for him. Glad he proved the doubters wrong. You think he got a "congrats" email or text from Hackenberg? That 2014 line was brutal for him. They did an awful job protecting him. I remember Franklin making a comment about the only one more concerned about improving the play of the offensive line than he was was Hackenberg's mother. And, now Smith signs a $40M+ NFL contract a few years after being drafted. Really pleased for the kid but you just know that Hackenberg has to be thinking "WTF?". Oh well.

As you say, some guys make better pros. It's certainly the exception, but it does happen. Btw, Chris Godwin had a nice year down in Tampa as well. His rookie season was unremarkable but I saw something at the end of the season on him from the Tampa press that was pretty glowing about him.

Did anyone see that at the combine McSorley was asked to work out as a DB and he refused and insisted he's going in as a QB? I have nothing but love for that kid, but he's getting some bad advice in my opinion. I wish him the best of luck, but his kind of football does not usually translate well in the NFL. Russel Wilson is the exception, not the rule, and Wilson has a better arm and is faster than Trace. I saw that Sean Payton was saying he thinks TM could be a Julian Edelman kind of player if he turns to receiver. He should absolutely consider that or going back to be a defensive back. But, the odds are really stacked against him as an NFL QB.

Whatever he decides to do, I wish him the best. He is one of those players you just always have to root for. He's up there for me with MRob and Hack (a lousy pro but he will never buy a beer in any bar I'm in).

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:23 am

Fully agree with you on Hack. I don't understand how any PSU fan could have negative feelings about him. Unfortunately for him he came in at the worst possible time, but he stuck it out through thick and (mostly) thin.

Just for that he should be revered around here.
National Champions 1911, 1912, 1969, 1981, 1982, 1986, 1994

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:27 am

It's hard to pinpoint where it went wrong for Hack - maybe he was just a guy who had a ton of extra coaching and help and was on a very talented HS team and was over-hyped. Obviously the sanctions and thin talent at PSU didn't help. Clearly he wasn't a fit for CJF's system. And post college he just hasn't been able to put it together.
I still remember him taking a routine sack in the bowl game with Georgia and getting up and motioning like his shoulder was hurt. I said to the guy next to me - - that wasn't much of a hit - he wants out of this game and he's going pro. And sure enough that's what happened. I thought he needed another year. Then I saw McS play with the same players in the same system and I said - "Oh, that's why he left, he was going to lose his starting job." IMO he should have transferred to an offense more compatible with his style. It has been tough to watch him flame out - always hope he could catch on in some fashion somewhere.

I don't fault McS for refusing to participate in DB drills. If he focused all his prep efforts on the QB drills he would be doing the DB with zero preparation with a group of guys who play the position and have been doing those drills for their entire college career and going into combine. Given the interest in him as something other than QB has now been surfaced and he has time to prep himself he could consider doing that on a pro day or private workout - but spur of the moment at a combine?

Was reading a story in BWI about Shareef Miller. I thought he should stay given depth of this year's DL class and potential to move himself up to top 3 round talent. Well he comes from a rough North Philly neighborhood. He was mugged at gunpoint as a teen, his brother was shot and killed. Basically he went pro because he desperately wants to get the rest of his family the hell out of that situation. This is why Emmert sucks. If Miller could be making money off his own likeness (work at a football camp, royalty for a team calendar, jersey, poster sales, appearance fees at sporting goods store or bar, shoe deal, let him sell his tickets or PSU apparel) - even just enough where he could funnel $500-1000 to his family they could move to a safer neighborhood. Then his decision to stay in school or go to the NFL could be based on what is best from him long term vs him thinking - every day I stay in college and don't get paid my siblings or Mom might get shot.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:16 am

Good post.

On Hack, I think he just peaked as a HS QB. That happens. Some guys just can't adjust to the next level. He was a good college QB but he wasn't a great one. He never seemed to improve. That could be for a lot of reasons - the system, the line, or just him - but he never really seemed to grow. He was a stretch as a 2nd round pick and the Jets had every incentive to find a way to make it work with him. But, ultimately, he wasn't good enough to make it in the NFL. He's in good company though as most QBs are not good enough. It's a shame because he is a kid who you really want to see make it, but it's obviously not to be.

On McS - fair point. It is a bit of a disadvantage to suddenly have to compete at a different position without warning. I'm not sure how much that hurts him, though. Hopefully he has an agent who understands this process and his giving him good advice. But, I think it's unlikely he ever plays a down as an NFL QB. I doubt he makes a roster. And, he's another kid you just have to root for.

On Miller - completely agree. I hope he gets drafted high, is a huge success, has a great career, and can get his family to higher ground (so to speak).

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:43 am

The Miller story shows you everything wrong about the college amateur system in the US - when there is a discussion about players getting paid in some form people point to the value of the scholarship - a deferred value of a college education doesn't solve the immediate and serious issue his family faces - and that story goes for many athletes. Given you have NCAA offices, campuses and businesses (TV networks, apparel companies) chock full of people making six and seven figure salaries these kids shouldn't be some ridiculously restrained from making some money to help their families.

As many of us have argued - if you were any other student on campus with a marketable talent you'd be able to monetize that talent at no risk of you status as a student or to your scholarship. Either pay these guys or make way for a true minor league system they can pursue out of HS where they get paid. We argue about income inequality and gaming a system - this is the unfair game - the NFL and colleges have rigged the system to allow them to exploit athletes - get a fair system that provides them fair market value for their talent.