Akron in Game

pennstate92

Re: Akron in Game

Postby pennstate92 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:00 pm

I had much the same reaction as most of you:

-nice to get a gimme to knock the rust off.
-there aren't enough superlatives for Saquon
-Trace is the perfect QB at the perfect time for this team.
-Tompkins impressive on returns.
-defense was stout, though I didn't think they showed a lot beyond basic formations against the Zips.
-Pitt went to overtime to beat Youngstown State. Think we white wash them next week.

We Are!

8-)
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.

PennState03Chris

Postby PennState03Chris » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:29 pm

That was fun. Exactly what we wanted to see. A dominate performance, physically over matching the opponent, not much rust. Still, enough to work on that the coaches can keep the kids focused.

Thoughts

- Rotated a ton of kids in on defense, especially on the DLine. Nice to be able to get those reps, as they'll pay off down the stretch.
- Feel like we'll need another receiver to step up alongside Juwan Johnson. Not sure who that will be. Johnson showed some nice form in his handful of catches, including the awareness on the scramble by Trace where Juwan came back to give Trace a target and then dragged the toe on the sideline.
- Saquon is ridiculously good. Don't think that either Robinson or Sanders are bad backs, by any stretch. However, they are not Saquon. Tough standard for future PSU RBs to live up to.
- We'll miss Joey Julius' big toe this year on kickoffs.

With YSU taking Pitt to overtime, doubt we'll know much about this 2017 Penn State team until Big Ten play hits.

Btw, when Rod Gilmore was getting into "How do we make college game shorter..." notice that "Fewer commercials" wasn't mentioned? More commercials are the EXACT reason why games are so long these days.

tempe

Postby tempe » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:53 pm

totally agree on the commercials. The ASU game "experimented" by shortening halftime by five minutes. wow! I thought long and hard about the shorter halftime and finally came to the conclusion that it shorten the game by five minutes. I sent in my report.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:41 pm

A few thoughts from the game yesterday. Sorry if these are repeats as I just got back from Happy Valley.

1. Barkley has to be the front runner for the Heisman. The guy is out of this world awesome. I think he was robbed of a touchdown too on a bogus "out of bounds" call. Should have been an 87 yard TD run.

2. The offense has been compared to 1994. I can see some parallels. I think the difference is the 1994 team was more explosive whereas the 2017 team seems more methodical. Akron should be thankful they stopped themselves a few times with an interception, turnover on downs, missed FG, etc or the score would have been a lot worse than 52-0.

3. Nice to finally have these types of games again where there is no doubt about the outcome of the game, even before kickoff. Fun game to be at with my son, even if my feet are still drying off.

4. D looked good. If I recall Akron ended up with less than 10 first downs and just over a 100 yards of offense. Hardly shabby.

5. All in all, a nice way to begin defense of the B1G championship. 8-) Other than the B1G looks pretty grueling, I think this team matches the hype. Trying not to be too homeristic, but this definitely has potential of being a special season.

6. Are they planning to hang 2016 on the east stands with the other championship and special seasons?

WE ARE!!!

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:03 pm

Sorry to disagree with the consensus but outcome wasn't determined by halftime and it wasn't in hand in the 1st QT. It was over about 3-1/2 years ago when CJF started hitting the recruiting trail. Penn State was superior to Akron physically, athletically and skill-wise and every position. I don't think there was a favorable match up for Akron anywhere on that field - maybe you could give a nod the their helmets being a little more stylish - but that's a subjective call.

Throughout most the last 20 years a mid-level MAC team would usually take PSU into the 3rd QT before PSU would put them away. They could usually find a match up advantage (small corners, OL problems, inability of PSU to handle mobile QB) and extend the game - especially if PSU made mistakes and took points off the board. PSU was faster, stronger, better everywhere.

PSU took 10 points off the first half and this still was never competitive. Everyone knows about Barkley, McSorely, Gisecki but two plays by Oriwaryue (forgive the spelling) really demonstrated it to me - that athleticism and skill he displayed on his INT was amazing. Even more impressive was the post pattern where he was beat - he lost his stride and still made up the distance and broke up the pass - unreal.

I know Akron is not Ohio State but from a strict talent perspective PSU is a Top 10 team IMO - no doubt.

And I know this will rub B&W a tad wrong but - get ready to pay Joe Moorehead.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:06 pm

I don't think there was a favorable match up for Akron anywhere on that field - maybe you could give a nod the their helmets being a little more stylish - but that's a subjective call.

You'd think they could maybe out-do the guy in the lion pajamas, but they couldn't even manage that.

Shane

Postby Shane » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:18 pm

sameoldlama wrote:
And I know this will rub B&W a tad wrong but - get ready to pay Joe Moorehead.

From what most people seem to think, this is Mooreheads last year with PSU. He will be offered a head coaching position and will most likely take it this year. Sounds like he is grooming Ricky Rahne for the job when he leaves.

Underlion

Postby Underlion » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:50 pm

End of season I can see the chants and signs from a coachless teams alum...WE WANT MOOREHEAD.

Oh my.

Franklin has done what it takes so far, his little black book has someone in it.

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:41 pm

I'm not sure Moorhead leaving is guaranteed. It has to be the right job. And he's said several times that his family is very happy in State College and that's a big part of any future consideration. He's getting paid at PSU and he'll get more. But seriously guys. Right now it's just Pitt, Pitt, Pitt, Pitt, Pitt.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:27 am

Recorded the game but only watched the fist half. I knew the final score already and figured the 2nd half was more of the same. I don't want to repeat what I'm sure everyone else said but just a few comments:

1. SB is going to run for 2,000 yards this year and likely get screwed out of the Heisman. I think between the regular season, the championship game and the playoffs he's going to run for over 2,500 this year - easily.

2. Juwan Johnson has the potential to be the best WR Penn State has ever produced. That combination of size and speed is just rare. He is a man among boys out there. The first time he lined up I noticed just how imposing he looks. And, that's on TV. I can only imagine what it looks like at field level, lining up against him.

3. Hamilton needs to hold onto the ball or he's quickly going to get lost in this offense. Kid has talent but he's his own worst enemy.

4. I think this is the best team we've put on the field since 1994. And, because of the balance on both sides of the ball, I think it's better. I don't think Trace is better than Kerry, and right now I wouldn't say this offense is better than 94. Kijana over Saquan? That's a tough call. Until this squad prove themselves, I think you have to give the edge to the 94 offense. But, the defense on this team is much better than the 94 defense and that's why I give this squad the edge. That may be premature, but that's my take so far.

5. I thought there was something in the PSU charter that prevented us from playing decent special teams. I hope we don't lose our land grant over that.

I was really pleased with what I saw. There was some rust shaken off early in the game, but, overall, I thought they looked great at every aspect.

Time to take Pitt to the woodshed.