2018 Season Predictions

sameoldlama

2018 Season Predictions

Postby sameoldlama » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:29 am

Can't believe no one got this going yet.

Offense
Expect some drop off but still expect it to be the strength of the team. McS will leave holding every conceivable record a QB can hold. Expecting the OL to be the best it has been post sanction which should make the losses of Hamilton, Gesicki and Barkley a little less painful. Sanders will be productive due to improved OL and fact opposing teams won't send four guys after him even when he doesn't have the ball. While I don't see him having as many big runs as SB I also don't see as many negative plays. I think the bigger drop off vs SB will be in passing game. For the WRs JJ needs to take the ARob, Godwin, Hamilton mantle and be that go to guy - he needs to over 70 catches for the year, a good YPC and be tough in red zone. I think we will also need to see a young as of yet unseen WR be a factor - I don't see Gesicki's productivity being replaced at TE so expect so 4 - 5 WR sets which means someone beyond Thompkins and Polk needs to be effective. I actually think Gesicki is the biggest loss on O as he could get deep and really high point - the TEs in que seem like more your traditional short catch possession guys.

Defense
Have to hope Reid returns to form, Miller emerges as a dominant force and some young talents like Wade and Castro-Fields really step up. This will be an evolving unit and I think the hope has to be that the O can carry the early part of season until the D can develop.

Special Team
Gilliken and Thompkins please keep being Gilliken and Thompkins - those two guys have been critical in helping PSU make gains of changes of possession in terms of field position. With the unreal amount of skill / speed talent recruited we should be able to find a KR. The massive ? will be PK.

OOC Games
Should be 3-0 in OOC - Kent State likely to be awful. Appalachian State actually waxed Toledo in a bowl game last year but this is a case where the offense should eventually allow PSU to pull away. Pitt - the only concern is it's an away game but again the talent level should allow PSU to put it away by 3rd QT as I don't think Pitt has much at QB or O in general.

B1?
These should be locks:
Indiana, Rutgers, Illinois, Maryland - Illinois is just a bad team, Maryland is bad team that is a mess and Rutgers and Indiana don't have the talent to match up.

You Never Know What you Get - Iowa - on paper and at home you'd say advantage PSU but Iowa has a way of being a thorn in PSU's side - but time for CJF to dominate the middle tier B1? teams. PSU wins

The Four that will determine if we Roar
Michigan - IMO a very important game - this the last box CJF needs to tic off - winning against a top tier B1? opponent on the road. He's currently 0 - 6 against UM, OSU, MSU on the road. UM will have a tough D but still nothing great on O. This is the game PSU O needs to control in the 2nd half and hold up. I think we get this one.

Wisky - Expect their tailback to be best RB in country and have off the charts stats - they return a great line and this will be a classic smashmouth Badger O - don't think we will have the D to match up - see this as a loss.

OSU, MSU - think we get one, lose one. OSU definitely lost a good deal of talent across board and lost leadership with Barrett gone - but they are deep in talent and you can expect them to be at the top - though they will cough up a game or two. MSU is the other program PSU needs to have the recruiting and talent they have stockpiling start to show up - they need to start dominating Sparty at home.

I'm going 10-2.

And the way to early prediction - we make CFP in 2019.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Shore Lion

Re: 2018 Season Predictions

Postby Shore Lion » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:07 pm

I refuse to make predictions on the season. I just don't like to do it. I think getting OSU early in the season is helpful. Haskins will be a new starter on the road for the first time in a VERY hostile environment. That should help PSU a lot. I view Iowa as a sort of poor man's Michigan State. But away from home I don't see them winning. Even last year as nail biting as that game was PSU put up huge numbers. They just didn't get many points. I don't see that happening again. I agree the trip the the Big House is huge. No idea what to expect. They got thumped last year and will remember it. The two mysteries to me are Michigan State and Wisconsin. I know everybody is pretty high on MSU but are they really that good? That was such a wacky game last year with that super long weather delay plus it was the week after losing late at OSU. So I just don't know what to expect there. PSU has won 5 of their last 6 against Wisconsin. I think it is entirely possible that those teams play twice this season both could be some of the top games in the BIG. I do like that Franklin plays to win and put teams away (for the most part). Finally, I'll say this. First games scare the hell out of me. App State is a pretty good team. They won't be intimidated so those looking for a blowout in that game probably won't get it, unless PSU pulls away late due to some turnovers. Kent State should be a game everybody plays. There will be plenty of PSU fans in the Burgh so hopefully that goes well. I'll be at the beach that game at a PSU bar owned by a guy from Pittsburgh. That should be fun.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:11 pm

10-3, including a bowl win.

They return a very good team. However, they lost too much to be realistically considered a playoff caliber team.
41-33.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:01 pm

I know nothing OSU is popular but Kirk Herb threw PSU some love - picked McSorely to win Heisman and PSU to be a playoff team
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:18 pm

I have a lot of time for KH. I think he does a good job all the way around. He's not an OSU homer, and he tries to be objective.
Is it baseball season yet?

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:51 pm

I agree. Herbie is excellent at what he does.
41-33.

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:09 pm

I await to see who fills the shoes, as it that is really feasible, of Marcus Allen. A four year starter who was the unsung hero of many a game. The defense must jell early and play smart ball. #24 needs to show he can keep the ball and run with the authority has does possess. There are so many variables that make up a team it is maddening to attempt to predict. I don't think 10-2 is outlandish but 9-3 is just as believable at this point.

The tough games at home schedule is a point in our favor as only Michigan is away of the big games I think. Once we play OSU we will have an idea of how well we may traverse our schedule.
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:26 pm

We have the perfect schedule. Our tough games are at home. We go 12-0 and head to NC Series and win it all. I think we can outscore anyone. The question will be whether our defense will stop teams or get a much needed TO.

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:44 am

We are young on defense, and there will be a learning curve. All these 'retirements' due to injury hurt our depth, and I can't believe that won't play a factor. Our OLine is probably the strongest of all position groups (whodathunkit just two years ago)...they're going to have to keep McSorley clean. I don't think McSorley wins Heisman...but I do believe he earns 2nd team AA. Love JJ, think he wins 2nd team honors two...also think CJF is going to use Justin Shorter a lot in the early going to get him ready for BiG season.

I don't think, overall, this team is as good as last years. I do think by next year, however, they will be ready for to challenge for a BiG Champ and the Playoff.

10-2 (Losses to Wisky and Michigan).
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.

Shane

Postby Shane » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:42 am

Insiders on 247 saying that Justin Shorter probably won’t play that much early, dealing with an ankle injury that has slowed him down.