Pitt Pre-Game

LioninVa

Re: Pitt Pre-Game

Postby LioninVa » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:48 am

I was there in the late 80's as well. It was a rivalry week game before ESPN started the concept. It was also more than just the game, ther were fundraising competitions between the schools and even a blood drive challenge. But, mostly it was a chance to Shitt on Pitt! Oddly, they thought more about playing (and occasionally beating) us than we did about them over the years off...

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:54 am

This game will be a good indicator of where PSU is at "mentally" as well as development wise. This is an emotional game - it's an in state rivalry, these kids know each other, there has been smack talk and the loss to Pitt last year arguably kept PSU out of the playoff Does PSU channel the emotion and methodically put a beating on Pitt or do they play out of control?

Development wise I want to see how the D handles a team that had them confused and exploited mismatches last year. Let's face it - Pitt ran up and down the field on PSU much of the game last year.

So can they play with a controlled fury and does their talent negate Pitt's more talented players (Quadree Henderson killed us last year).

Narduzzi has talked a lot of smack so I'd kind of like CJF's gaze across the sidelines to say "I am not a forgiving man and this will not end well for you today".

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:10 am

One thing I'd like to see is for McSorley to use his weapons more and run less. He has one of, if not the, best running backs in the country to hand the ball off. He has one of, if not the, best Tight Ends to throw to when the pressure is on. And, he has some very talented receivers, including a huge target in Johnson to throw too. Hamilton had some drops on Saturday but that kid is a burner and gets open a lot.

So why are we running so many designed QB runs with all those weapons? It's one thing when that's all the defense gives you. Trace is fast enough to take advantage of that. But, how about they run him less before he gets freaking killed. There is too much talent around him to justify the risk.

Nittany Flier

Postby Nittany Flier » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:44 am

I don't think they were plays specifically designed as qb runs. Akron was keying on Barkley and McSorley took what the defense gave him.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:07 am

More than a few of them looked like designed runs to me, but maybe you're right. I'd just like to see him run less in general. I keep thinking he's going to get himself killed.

PennState03Chris

Postby PennState03Chris » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:44 am

After the Minnesota game last year, the coaches made the conscious decision to run Trace more often. His ability to pick up yards with his feet added an extra element to the game plan.

I don't mind the decision. Trace was pretty careful on Saturday, opting to slide rather than lower a shoulder. Based on the dual QB sets we saw in the second half, I think you'll be seeing a lot more of it.

As for Pitt, I really couldn't care less about them. Pitt, to me, carries the same significance as Rutgers or Maryland. We matter a whole lot more to them than they matter to us. I'm hoping we pick up where we left off and send Narduzzi back home puzzled and confused. This should be another drubbing of an over-matched opponent. 54 - 10.

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:15 pm

They pass/run a read option, thus them lining up, then looking to the sideline, then lining up again and snapping the ball. Coaches are looking at the defensive alignment and calling the play once they see what the defense is giving them. Frankly, I like the QB run element, but I agree that you have to pick the spots to run that play.

As for Pitt - even when I was in school, I looked at other games as more important. Perhaps because i was from NY, I looked at Syracuse as more of a rival than Pitt. And I loved the ND game because I hated ND with a passion that is inexplicable. I still do, and hope they have a losing record again when this year is said and done.
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:17 pm

They're not going to win 54-10. :D

You guys are getting a little carried away. But I admire your enthusiasm.

Nittany Flier

Postby Nittany Flier » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:21 pm

OK, how about 57-6? I see Saturday has been designated as a stadium wide white-out.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:52 pm

psu_dad wrote:They're not going to win 54-10. :D

You guys are getting a little carried away. But I admire your enthusiasm.

Who invited the buzz kill?