Pitt Pre-Game

LioninVa

Re: Pitt Pre-Game

Postby LioninVa » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:28 am

I agree with you, Nat!

I go to CFN occasionally at the start of the week to read some recaps, and with the Labor Day weekend and a switched flex date, I didn't come to work until Wednesday this week (Oh, the horror!!) and read the article before I saw the by-line. I emailed him a few years back because he tends to list Beaver Stadium as being in College Station, PA and I wanted to let him know this was incorrect. I was polite, but got a reply that was not. I don't remember exactly what he told me, but it was along the lines of he is a sports reporter and I am not. Great guy...

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:50 am

Oh yeah. Fiutak is a complete tool. Nat is exactly right. There is almost always some sort of snide comment in just about everything he writes about PSU. Last season's success just had to kill him. He acts like he knows EVERYTHING about college football. I wrote him before too years ago. He was less than gracious in his reply.

We Are...2

Postby We Are...2 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:45 am

After perusing the Pitt threads, I have come to the conclusion that only 10% of the Pitt fan base either know how to use math or have drank so much Koolaide that they are completely non-coherent. Either way, after using my amazing math skills to take an average of what they think they will score on PSU, it comes to an outstanding number of 30.
I am trying to be as non-homerish as possible here. I do not see Pitt scoring more than 20 and that is being kind.
I have read the comments and seen the idiotic predictions and the call for PSU fans to be nice...Blah, blah, blah... it's PITT! the H_ll with being nice. Anyone remember last year? Bring the noise and score early and often. Pitt has brought any and all on themselves.
That said, I am always accommodating to any visitors when it comes to tailgating, as long as they remember where they are. As I do the same when traveling. Penn State if nothing else is one of the best atmospheres in College Football - in and out of the stadium.
It's funny Pitt fans want this to be more than what it is...rivalry game...yeah, it used to be in the 80's. Pitt ducked playing us in the 90's and forward, and not for lack of effort on PSU's side.
So, I have no sympathy for Pitt fans, welcome to Beaver stadium, enter in awe and please leave beaten and bruised. The team wants this one BAD! and Franklin is going to let them loose...
What the H... was that? Oh, Barkley!

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:54 am

Looks like we found something PSU and UM fans can agree on

http://mgoblog.com/mgoboard/pete-fiutak-giant-asshat

In the CFN article I think his dumbest line is PSU winning this game "comes a year too late" - as if they have no shot at having at B1? crown again and possible playoff.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:13 am

Regarding being nice to the Pitt fans, I generally hope all the visitors to our games are treated with respect and not abused by our fans. But, I've read that a number of Pitt fans will be wearing t-shirts that have a picture of Joe and say "Joe Knew!" on them. Curious to see how those people get treated. I bet not well.

We Are...2

Postby We Are...2 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:21 am

Pitt fans will get what they deserve...that goes both ways.
Yep, I am going to wear it proudly!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
What the H... was that? Oh, Barkley!

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:25 am

I think the 10% math score might be generous! I remember when Beaver Stadium increased capacity a while back. There was talk of getting Pitt back on the schedule long term. Pitt wanted the series to be equal home and home rotation, but JoePa wanted 2 at PSU and 1 in Pittsburgh. Pitt fans felt that this was a slight or demeaning or something but never considered the fact that our stadium could hold 40-50K more than theirs, when they owned one, and maybe 40K more than the one they now borrow from the Steelers.

Now, I don't know how the contracts work in big league college football, but that is a large amount of people paying for tickets that results in more money to share off of the profits. I would think they would be able to do some math and figure out a decent deal to make everybody happy. But they were too offended that we felt they were inferior... Like we even think about them that much!

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:47 am

JoePa wanted 2 at PSU and 1 in Pittsburgh. Pitt fans felt that this was a slight or demeaning or something but never considered the fact that our stadium could hold 40-50K more than theirs, when they owned one, and maybe 40K more than the one they now borrow from the Steelers.

No offense, but they felt it was a slight because it WAS a slight and was likely intended as one.

Back in 2003, Penn State had a 1 and 1 with BC. BC was no world-beater, they never have been, but they were a pretty consistent Top-25 team back then. And they have a small stadium. And if Penn State had offered a 2 and 1, BC would have told them to pound sand up their bum.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:09 am

I agree that it was a slight, _dad, but JoePa and PSU were in a position to make demands. Pitt, even to this day, is obsessed with playing us and very much wanted to renew the series back then. And Pitt (along with Syracuse and others) had basically told Joe to pound sand with his super conference idea a few years earlier so there was added animosity from Happy Valley.

I am not disputing any of that, but the financials speak for themselves and Penn State fans spend money on Penn State, while yellow seats watch Pitt play...

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:20 am

Crowbar wrote:I don't want to come off as too homeristic. However, I think Pitt is in for a very long and very tough afternoon and early evening. Unfortunately for Pitt CJF doesn't seem as compassionate as JVP on terms of not running up the score.

Penn State in a runaway rout.

Penn State 49, Pitt 6.

After some reevaluation I am revising my prediction.

Penn State 89, Pitt 1 (refs award Pitt a sympathy point, just because).