Pitt pre-game thread

PittGradPSUMad

Re: Pitt pre-game thread

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:47 am

psu_dad wrote:Hey, where did we go
Days when the rains came

More like

Blue eyes cryin' in the rain.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:02 am

DVR'd the game and watched it late into the wee hours. It was a tale of two halves. PSU's second half defense was dominant against the run and harassed Pickett into bad throws. Kevin Givens was a force and highlights just how important he is to the defensive front. Parsons was all over the field but was caught out of position on several plays. He will only improve.....fast, hopefully...and will be a beast with more game experience. The defensive holding call against Johnson was purely bad; fortunately, the momentum shift was taking place at the point. No question, Pitt's ST play was spectacularly bad, but it doesn't tarnish the fact that the Good Guys made adjustments that limited Pitt to 64 yards total in the second half. McSorley continues to impress by making mostly good decisions and would have impressive stats if not for six or seven drops in horrid weather. Call it ugly if you want....I call it a great win and an improvement over last week with a dose of FU, Narduzzi, thrown in for good measure. Two more games against cannon fodder won't make this team great...not sure that'll happen this season....but come the 29th, I expect to see a much improved team take the field against...them.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:06 pm

Lets debate ugly win more. It was ugly in the first half and we won in the 2nd half. Agree with dad, that should be called an ugly win or should we make it a compound word: uglywin!

! more thing that I noticed on the defensive side of the ball. The players are struggling to come off block and make plays. It seems like players are giving up! I hope JF shows some video of that laziness! Also, DE were being pushed up the field giving Pickett a free running lane in the beginning of the game. They made changes so that was good to see

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:35 am

Bob Flounders made what I thought was a great point on the PennLive postgame video with Dave Jones. He said that Franklin was a Psych major and he definitely gets into Narduzzi's head. Excellent observation. Narduzzi spends so much time talking up the "rivalry" and making such a big deal about the game his team gets tight and can't handle adversity. Emotion only gets you so far in a game. Pitt is 0-2 the last two years after the PSU game. They play Georgia Tech this week so that streak may very well stretch to 0-3.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:01 pm

I watched game from a bar - it's funny to come back and read comments and compare to the texts I send to friends and then how you feel a couple days later.

Some In Game Texts
During 1st QT : Wisconsin will run for 400 yards against us

On the D 1st QT: Not sure if Brent Pry is the guy. We should play all freshman
By the 4th QT : That was the most dominant half of football I've seen D play in years

1st Half : These refs should be reviewed and should be suspended for a week (I still maintain they were awful)

2nd Half : I guess App State is better than Pitt

Last Score : That was a big FU to Narduzzi

The best part of the night was the PSU haters in bar getting STFUed during the 2nd half. I'm fine if someone doesn't like PSU. I'm fine if you like Pitt. I just can't stand people who hate on a team just because half the bar is rooting for them. I had the misfortune of sitting next to a 24/7/365 hater who was hating anything anyone liked including PSU and deeming McSorley a "trash" QB. Guy walks in the bar next day for NFL games wearing a Dolphins Tannehill jersey - are you kidding me?

Overall couldn't be much happier - only carp might be some dropped passes by Johnson / Thompkins. Would like to give props to Gilliken - the kid has been solid as can be for 3 years and him pinning Pitt deep time after time was a big factor IMO - just contrast him to the night the Pitt punter had.

We beat Pitt senseless in their stadium, emptied it and shut that troll Narduzzi up for at least one night. That's way better than standing in front of the TV screen with butt cheeks clenched hoping you can hold of App State in OT. :lol:
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:56 pm

I was pretty stunned at how poorly we played in the first half. Have to hat tip CJF and the entire staff - they really have taken making adjustments at the half to a new level. I think I've seen one game in the past 2+ years where they didn't adjust (UM 2016), and that was due to injuries at LB as much as anything.

I like this team. Still think they're a 2 loss team, but there's a lot of raw material and I just feel like we're on the cusp of greatness. Really like Parson/Ellis Brooks tandem at LB. Also thinking Luketa's gonna make an impact as well.

Onto Kent State - get all the freshmen in. Hope to see Justin Shorter at WR at some point - too many drops from JJ and Thomkins for my liking.

Anyway, short stream of consciousness - was traveling last week, so didn't see Appy State. Probably a good thing that I didn't...
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:29 am

Saw a pretty wild/sad statistic. Pitt has not had a season with fewer than 3 losses since 1981.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:31 am

What exactly do you find sad about that?
Is it baseball season yet?

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:17 am

Well sad if you're a Pitt fan. Me, I just think "ha ha ha ha ha ha".

Just for fun I visited some of the Pitt articles in their newspapers. I don't troll or anything, just read but man it's funny how they still hold a grudge against Joe and PSU. I mean, get over it.

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:19 pm

What exactly do you find sad about that?

Made me laugh. :lol: :lol: :lol:
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.