OSU thread

Blue&White

Re: OSU thread

Postby Blue&White » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:46 am

I hate that we lost because we gave it away. We were not out played and OSU does not have better talent. I can accept losing because the other team was better. Last night the other team was not better.

If I have to take a Brightside I guess it's this: in a short amount of time Franklin has recruited talent to put us in the ranks of the elite teams. And, even better - he seems to have done it while maintaining some standards. He just needs to get himself over the hump.
Is it baseball season yet?

tempe

Postby tempe » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:01 am

nittwittier wrote:An observation though - I used to go into these games praying that our team would have the game of their life, get a few calls and pull an upset. Now I often go in expecting our team to play up to their stats and win the game because they are better (albeit perhaps not this game). The talent gap has closed and now we have to make three more plays a game and we win these frequently. Clemson was here not too long ago. We will get there soon. We are...one step away...

This is a cool thought - enjoyed reading this over "mourning" coffee

Gunsmoke17

Postby Gunsmoke17 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:05 pm

Hello! The Lions were outplayed in the 4th quarter,

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:21 pm

Gunsmoke17 wrote:Franklin loses another big game for the lions, his post game speech are so fake,he is a amateur, GET OBRIEN BACK!

Considering how things are going for the Houston Texans BOB may be available soon...

With that said, not that opinion matters, I'm sticking with Franklin. He took over a precarious situation and has brought the Nits to the doorstep of elitism in a very short time.

And if you fire Franklin, who are you going to replace him with? BOB, as much as I love him, is an NFL coach and I can just about guarantee you he has no interest in coming back to Happy Valley.

Since joining the B10 Penn State has had all sorts of issues with OSU. At least they are back to being competitive with them again. I was tired of seeing them losing 38-14 or so to them.
National Champions 1911, 1912, 1969, 1981, 1982, 1986, 1994

PennState03Chris

Postby PennState03Chris » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:34 pm

A few thoughts...

If we are going to lambast the coaches for the last two 4th quarters we've played against Ohio State, we must also praise them for being able to build the leads we did in those two games. Coaches need to figure out how to finish out these games, instead of watching the whole thing collapse in front of their eyes.

In Franklin's presser after the game, he mentioned 1) getting more high end recruits and 2) finding guys who can make plays. While not the full story by any means, he isn't wrong.

It is true that Penn State has not recruited at the same level as Ohio State and Alabama, especially over these past 4-5 years. Our recruiting has certainly improved, and we had and have some really talented kids in our program, but we are not on the OSU, Alabama, Clemson and, lately, Georgia level. That's true no matter how you look at it - class ranking, average star ranking, number of NFL draft picks, as well as on-field results. We've seen the latter manifest itself in the 4th quarter of the OSU games these past two years. Their talent in the defensive front 7 has taken over those games, and their skill talent on offense has exposed our back 7 on defense.

How many points did we leave on the field last night? How many "If that ONE play hadn't happened, or turned out differently" scenarios were there last night? We missed field goals. We fumbled deep in our own end right before the half. We had opportunities to get INTs, and only had one. Receivers continue to drop balls. Defense forgot that this was tackle football at some point in the 4th quarter.

This wasn't coaching only. This wasn't players only. It's a solid mix of both.

Will be interesting to see how they rebound from this and move forward. MSU is not a pushover. Neither is Iowa, Wisconsin or Michigan. Never expected this to be "our year", but it hurts to lose it when it's not just in our grasp, but we have the stake over the heart and the hammer raised high ready to drive that sucker deep in there.

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:43 pm

I liked this post and agree, Chris.
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.

Gunsmoke17

Postby Gunsmoke17 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:34 pm

Well said,but let's be honest,the atmosphere had Ohio state off there game,too,many .mistakes and,lots of.dropped passes,and The Call,on 4 and 5 gives advantage to any defense, as for recruiting,it fell into Franklins lap with the additional scollies, kids sighned to play because they new they could start playing asap,that's the way it works..It wasn't because of Franklin, also Fyi,Obrien would have consider to stay if he would have .known about sanctions being lifted , it's all timing and all to many fans give credit to the great cheerleader,,Coach! F

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:41 pm

In Franklin's presser after the game, he mentioned 1) getting more high end recruits and 2) finding guys who can make plays. While not the full story by any means, he isn't wrong.

I'm not sure I'm crazy about that. Even it he believes that, he probably should have kept it to himself. He was, at least indirectly, throwing the current players that HE recruited under the bus. Did he express this sentiment when he was recruiting them? ("You're not the high-end player I'm looking for, but you'll do for now.")

If he needs better players, he should just get them and shut his pie hole about it.
Last edited by psu_dad on Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Klaatu barada nikto

Shane

Postby Shane » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:15 pm

Going in to the game last night, I was hoping PSU could be competitive, but would probably couldn’t keep up. Today, I feel like PSU outplayed them and should have won the game. Don’t want to throw too much shade on the coaches, they didn’t drop passes, fumble before the half, or not be able to tackle in the fourth quarter. Hated the last play call, but hindsight is always 20/20.

nittwittier

Postby nittwittier » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:33 pm

psu_dad wrote:In Franklin's presser after the game, he mentioned 1) getting more high end recruits and 2) finding guys who can make plays. While not the full story by any means, he isn't wrong.

I'm not sure I'm crazy about that. Even it he believes that, he probably should have kept it to himself. He was, at least indirectly, throwing the current players that HE recruited under the bus. Did he express this sentiment when he was recruiting them? ("You're not the high-end player I'm looking for, but you'll do for now.")

If he needs better players, he should just get them and shut his pie hole about it.

The paraphrase is a bit misleading. JF just said that in order to take the next step and win these games, guys on the team need to make plays. He wasn’t saying those guys aren’t on the current roster and he needs to go get better talent. He was saying people need to step up. They were separate thoughts.

Not based on your comment dad, but I’ve been appalled by the vitriol thrown at Franklin today by the Lion fan base. He absolutely shat the bed on that last call, but only an idiot would think this guy has been anything but great for this program. I get people are emotional after a game, but some perspective. Meyer and tOSU are, after Alabama, the class of college football. The difference between them and us is like 5 plays. And that gap is closing fast. Sheesh!