OSU thread

Shane

Re: OSU thread

Postby Shane » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:50 pm

Agree with your post nittwittier, don’t think he was throwing kids under the bus.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:25 pm

I didn't think so either. I think it was just worded poorly here. But, I did not take it as him blaming any of the players.

As for the vitriol thrown at Franklin - I was POed with some of the play calling last night, but he's been a good coach. I think he made a few mistakes last night. It happens. He didn't want to lose that game any more than we did. People need to get a grip.
Is it baseball season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:58 pm

Fair enough. I was commenting on a comment about the press conference, which I hadn't seen at the time.

I've since read a transcript of the PC. I appreciate the passion, but he may want to tone it down bit. It isn't necessary to let the the press know EVERYTHING you're thinking, especially when you're in an emotional state. As an objective "outsider", I thought it was a bit much. It gave off a bit of a "Rex Ryan" vibe. Probably not the person to emulate.
Klaatu barada nikto

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:55 pm

I'm still processing this loss....it stings more than last year's loss. I won't fault JF for the 4th down call in the second. If it clicks, we're loving the call with no guarantee that it would have lead to a score. But let's suppose that we kick a FG instead and it's good. Project ahead and assume instead that Penn State is up 29-27 when OSU fails on the two point conversion with 2:03 to play. At this point, the dynamic changes because PSU needs to move the sticks and keep the clock moving. I'm fairly certain that means JF wants to run the ball instead of passing which probably results in a three and out with at least a minute remaining since OSU had all three time outs to stop the clock. Based on how OSU exploited our blitzes and hurt us on the edge, they would have moved into FG range at very least to win it 30-29. Regardless, we're not having this conversation if the defense had played better. And they will when the younger guys gain more experience and learn from their mistakes. Our day will come, but it's not here just yet.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:51 pm

Let's be honest - Franklin is dead right that OSU is the elite program in B1? and the program that is the measuring stick if PSU wants to compete for NCs. And he's right - there is still gaps between the two programs and over the course of 60 minutes they eventually show up.

Think back to the end of the Paterno era / immediate post Sandusky years - OSU was generally bigger / faster / stronger / more skilled at every position on the field and dominated PSU. That gap has closed significantly.

The DL certainly held their own last night - OSU didn't establish a consistent run game and PSU got pressure on QB - OSU is a program that puts a fair share of OLs in pros.
PSU had advantage at QB and looks stocked for future - OSU QB threw for about 50 yards and his receivers ran for 200. Other than the Hamler TD PSU didn't get a lot of YAC.
PSU RBs are every bit as good as OSU and again their is tons of talent in the pipeline.
PSU has young talent at WR / TE - this year we lack that go to "move the chains" / "go to" guy (Robinson, Godwin, Hamilton) - Johnson simply hasn't filled that role. Only concern I have is the young WRs are smallish.
PSU OL is much improved and looks like it will have depth - the O certainly moved the ball but credit OSU punter and cover team for making PSU go full length of field - especially first half.

On offense PSU has caught up to OSU in terms of speed and skill - just need more physicality.

Where there is a big gap is our back 7 on D. There is no impact player in the LB corp - no tackling machine like Lee, Poz, Connor, Cabinda and no guy who can get to QB and get a strip sack like Bowman / Bell. #2 from OSU was dominant - PSU doesn't have the speed / strength at LB currently. The hope is Parsons will be that guy.

The glaring gap is at DB - the PSU backs can't break on balls and can't tackle - if you can stomach watching the game again the YAC of OSU WRs last night was obscene - I don't think many of the OSU passes were more than 5-10 yards (or screens at LOS) - they rolled up about 170 yards in 3 minutes on their last two possessions of 4th QT. Now looked at OSU DBs on run plays when PSU went east- west or when they tossed WR screens / flares - they closed the open space and dropped receiver for no gain or losses. They are bigger / faster / stronger / more skillful than PSU at that position and that was the difference last night, last year, the Rose Bowl and almost Appy State. It's time for the 4 and 5 star DB recruits to start showing it.

Penn State is in a way better place than end of Paterno era and the emergence from the Sandusky scandal is miraculous. Franklin is right - they are close but more guys got to play to their "star" level and PSU needs a couple more impact guys - especially on D.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

psuro

Postby psuro » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:37 am

Just....crap.

Gunsmoke17

Postby Gunsmoke17 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:14 am

If you want a elite program , schedule a non conference elite program game!

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:39 am

Gunsmoke17 wrote:If you want a elite program , schedule a non conference elite program game!

Like Alabama?

2018: Louisville, Arkansas State, UL Lafayette and the Citadel
2019: Duke, New Mexico State, Southern Miss and Western Carolina

That sure is a Murderer's Row.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:41 am

I missed it, but apparently Franklin got into it with a fan while walking off the field on Saturday night. That was stupid. He should have ignored the guy and kept on walking. No one remembers the fan but everyone knows Franklin. I understand there is a video of it. Dude, that is a no-win scenario for you, coach. You need to just walk away.
Is it baseball season yet?

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:27 am

Shore Lion wrote:
Gunsmoke17 wrote:If you want a elite program , schedule a non conference elite program game!

Like Alabama?

2018: Louisville, Arkansas State, UL Lafayette and the Citadel
2019: Duke, New Mexico State, Southern Miss and Western Carolina

That sure is a Murderer's Row.

Don't forget Mercer last year. :D
National Champions 1911, 1912, 1969, 1981, 1982, 1986, 1994