Sparty Thread

Shore Lion

Re: Sparty Thread

Postby Shore Lion » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:46 pm

I was pretty pissed for about an hour but like B&W said, life goes on. And let's just step back for a second. Prior to the season's start most people who follow the team closely figured that K, LB and DL would be the biggest issues. Turns out we were right because that is where a lot of the shortcomings were in the two losses. Those issues plus a pretty bad day from Trace were a perfect storm. Let's move on and see what happens. Half the season remains.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:06 pm

PSUgrower wrote:I want to add that there was 1 holding call that was absolute bullshit. It was a 3rd down play and resulted in a 1st down. MSU scored on that drive. It was a huge call because MSU was going to punt. There was another call that was BS too but I cannot remember the exact circumstances of that call

True.

At the same time I think Sanders' fumble was incorrectly ruled down. Unfortunately, Penn State did not take advantage of their breaks, Sparty did. Hence, Sparty won.

The frustrating thing is PSU had so many chances to bury them, but they refused to do so. Almost getting desensitized to these blown 4th quarter leads.
41-33.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:52 pm

One thing that really does frustrate me is how a program of our caliber can't find a better kicker. The problems with the kicking game are inexcusable.
Is it baseball season yet?

Nat@PSU

Postby Nat@PSU » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:42 am

I had to step back from this game and collect myself for a bit to realize that I allow PSU football to affect me way to much in the Fall.

We are a better team than Sparty. For some reason, we just aren't getting the bounces or making the plays that win games like this. That does feel like it falls on coaching.

It feels right now that our margins for error are incredibly small. We don't have a reliable kicking game. It's clear that Trace doesn't trust his wideouts like in previous years (for good reason). Previously strong players have completely disappeared from games (D'Andre Thompkins, Juwan Johnson . . . ) and our young talent just isn't quite there yet. Friermuth is going to be really good, but last year Gesecki makes that endzone catch and we go up by a TD.

Biggest issues as I see it:

Defense:

- Defensive line is incapable of getting pressure consistently. Our ends are lackluster and our DT's lack the depth and explosiveness of top end teams
- Tackling is still a massive problem for this defense
- We are not creating turnovers defensively. By my count there were a minimum of two (likely more) passes that we should have picked off. Either one of them could have sealed the game.

Offense:
- Playcalling lacks flow and balance that we've seen in previous years
- We are not creating explosive plays (this likely is tied to #1)
- End of game playcalling is way too conservative. Get one first down and you win. Don't worry about running vs throwing.
- WR have gone from a strength to a liability. Outside of Kamler no one creates a matchup issue.

ST:
- Where to begin here: Creating almost nothing in our return game
- Is there a range where we even feel comfortable with our kicker?!? (less than 30 yards)
- Giving up tons of "trick" plays to other teams (multiple onsides kicks, fake punt, and the fake FG darn near worked)
Phil Gailano had better start brushing up his resume as he may have a short stay in State College.

We knew this was a rebuildng year but wanted to believe that it was reloading year like OSU, Clemson, Bama, etc all have. We just are not there.

I still believe that Franklin is the guy but the close losses are starting to become more than a coincidence.

Also, Franklin is now 3-11 against OSU, MSU and Mich. That isn't gonna cut it long term. I know that the first few years kind of skew that stat but in the past three seasons he is 3-5 against those teams with our best teams. That also isn't going to cut it.
- Nat

Let's Go State!!

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:24 am

I had to step back from this game and collect myself for a bit to realize that I allow PSU football to affect me way to much in the Fall.

Probably a discussion for a different thread, but one of the post Sandusky scandal impacts for me was a massive downgrade in my overall interest level in PSU football in particular and college football in general. I still make it a point to watch, but it no longer has the impact on me it once did. And, beyond PSU I watch just about zero college football these days and pay litlte attention to what else is going on. That wasn't just because of Sandusky, but that was certainly one of the bricks in the wall. My interest in the NFL has waned considerably too, as well.

Fortunately, there is still baseball. But, reading about the Mets search for a new GM is sucking what joy is left for me in baseball as well.

If this keeps up, I'm going to have to find stuff to talk to my wife about all year long instead of just February and March. <shudder>

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:02 pm

'...echoing the sound of silence.'
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.

tempe

Postby tempe » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:29 pm

oh fine - when I say all this life goes on - see the big picture - perspective crap, I get the Debbie Downer tag.

Ok - fine - maybe I'll die on the can - just like Elvis. :roll:

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:36 pm

It is all in the delivery, dude. Not my fault yours sucks.

8-)

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:01 pm

Ok - fine - maybe I'll die on the can - just like Elvis. :roll:

Can I have your MGB?
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:21 pm

Sorry, I call dibs!