Indiana Thread

Crowbar

Indiana Thread

Postby Crowbar » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:11 pm

Here's hoping the Nits can put a complete game together.

I think they start sluggish, but finish with a comfortable win. Glad it's not a noon start.

Penn State 35, Indiana 21.
41-33.

tempe

Re: Indiana Thread

Postby tempe » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:10 pm

A humbled but determined team plays well.

Go MGBS - I mean Lions!

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:43 am

I'm spending Saturday doing a college tour with my son and then my wife and I have plans in the evening. So, I'm not sure if I'm going to get to see this one.

I think the worst part is I just feel like I'm letting tempe down again.
Is it baseball season yet?

Nat@PSU

Postby Nat@PSU » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:53 am

I am, by nature, a pessimist. (I know, you're all shocked :lol: :roll: )

Therefore, as a Penn State fan, even in the best of times, I've been waiting for the other shoe to drop so to speak.

Over the past few years, James Franklin and his staff have begun to change that. I've started to expect PSU to go in and win in situations where they would struggle in the past. That said, the last two games (combined with a discernible pattern over the last three years) has broken my optimism with regards to PSU football.

I fully expect us to struggle against Indiana and likely lose. We have a lot of issues on this team, largely due to youth and lack of experience(both in players and in coaches roles)

I'll be happy to be wrong.
- Nat

Let's Go State!!

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:58 am

13 starters form the 2017 team went to the NFL as either draft picks or free agents. That is a lot of talent, depth and experience to lose. And, despite that, the young kids on the team look great. Yes, they lost heart breakers to OSU and MSU. Yes, there were some quesitonable play calls. But, it's a young team and this is not far off from what I expected.

I think we beat IU in a game that looks closer than it should be. I think we finish 9 - 3 or 10 - 2. And, I think next year we are poised for a potential playoff run (assuming whomever our new QB is can step right in and doesn't experience a lot of growing pains). Those losses sucked but I still think it's a good time to be a Penn State fan and that people calling for Franklin to be fired and replaced are idiots.

Nat@PSU

Postby Nat@PSU » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:27 am

Oh, I want to be clear: I'm not calling for Franklin or any staff (with the exception of Phil Gailaino who should be at least on the hot seat for the special teams performance this year)

I'm just saying that it is going to take some on field performance that reverses the trend of what we've seen (inability to sustain/build 4th quarter leads in big games, conservative playcalling in those scenarios, etc) to move me to a place where I expect those outcomes.

Right now, I expect what we've seen:

Win some big games, be competitive in all of them but not be ready to "reload" like the OSU, Bama, Clemsons of the world. This is a good program, maybe even a great one right now. But it's going to take a lot of work to move the ball that last few inches. I'm hopeful that they can do it and happy with the progress I've seen, I'm just saying the jury is out on whether they can get that done.
- Nat

Let's Go State!!

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:28 pm

I agree with that assessment.

The only thing I'd add is I think getting to that elite status may require some choices I'm not sure PSU should make. I don't want to be Alabama if the cost of that is we stop carrying if players graduate and requiring them to be student athletes. Not worth it in my opinion.

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:46 pm

We should go in there and kick the crap out of Indiana! I fully expect this team to come out pissed off, make some mistakes, and break some heads.
Good guys- 51
Bad guys- 19

We still have a chance to make one of the great bowls!

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:39 pm

I hate seeing those last two finishes before the game and hearing that a loss today drops us off the charts. I doubt a win, even a blowout, makes up for the fall last week but there is nothing we can do about that. Time to take care of business and get this win in the books. Let’s Go State!!!

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:49 pm

Nice start. Now, let's hope the D can step up.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.