Indiana Thread

Shane

Re: Indiana Thread

Postby Shane » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:26 am

He did have an extra point blocked that missed yesterday

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:48 pm

Right. I tried to block that one from my memory. It was ugly.

Our kicking game isn't particularly good and well below the caliber of what you expect from a program like PSU. Pinegar is not performing at the level we need him to and there is something wrong that we don't have other options. But, he's what we have and he has shown he can make kicks within 40 yards with reasonable consistency. He's certainly not a lock for any kick, but you have to trust him to make kicks in his range when the game is close and it's 4th and 5.

But, that wasn't really my point. My point was that arguing that a game where he made a bunch of kicks is proof we should have gone for it on 4th and 5th vs. OSU was a bizarro world argument.
Is it baseball season yet?

tempe

Postby tempe » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:20 pm

can we just stick with proper terminology here - Inductive Probability.

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:20 pm

Blue&White wrote:
PSUgrower wrote:Bdub- do you understand why we didn't kick a FG against OSU? Our FG kicker is atrocious at the moment.

So, on an extremely windy day the kid hits 2 field goals - one of which was about the distance of the kick we didn't take during the OSU game - and hits all his extra points and that's supposed to be proof that our kicking game is atrocious and Franklin made the right call going for it on 4th and 5 during the OSU game?

What am I missing here?

And this guy we just call Feldman......

It would have been 10 yards further against OSU. I am not sure if you saw that 32 yard FG but it barely made it. It had nothing to do with the wind. There was no height whatsoever! The kicked that was blocked had zero height. His other made FG was 27- a chip shot. Hitting a FG from 30ish compared to 40ish are 2 completely different kicks. It is like going for it on 4 and 5 or 4 and 10. 2 completely different play calls

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:44 pm

I agree our kicking game has issues. It's tough to dispute that. But, there is a better percentage chance of making a ~40 yard field goal than converting a 4th and 5. That kick was in his range. Franklin made the wrong call.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:58 pm

You guys know watching college football - while it can be nerve wracking at times - is supposed to be fun and something you enjoy - not something that makes you want to jump off a bridge right?

Let's be happy that for a change PSU was on the downside of a game statistically but ended still snagging a conference road win to snap a 2 game losing streak.
Let's be happy PSU generated TOs (a problem area) that had a big impact on the outcome of the game - first fumble recovery likely took points if board for IU and PSU grabbed 3 points and second fumble recovery led to TD. PSU got TOs and cashed them in. That's a good thing.

Before we hang the ST coach let's remember PSU had an advantage of about 175 yards on returns (other than the first KR of year PSU has been solid on return coverage). Hopefully the two converted FGs on adverse conditions that provided margin of victory get Pinegar on track. I mentioned what an asset Gilliken is several times - when he punts. The fake was a poorly designed play that was poorly executed - someone on the sideline should have called TO or Gilliken should have optioned out of it.
In regards to onsides kicks - coaches earlier in year warned players about releasing early and they just had to learn hard way. This week Scott just needed to catch ball and fall - not get in stride and return it - that's a mental error on player not on coaching.

Thinking McS has regressed or is any part of the offense's problem is insanity - he is the only consistent performer on the offense - between running passing he accounts for about 275 yards a game and 3TDs - that's with a WR core that likely leads nation in dropped passes. If you had Hack back there this team would be 2 - 5.

We rip on CJF if he gets conservative at end of games and say he "plays to not lose game" and then when he was aggressive by throwing at end of game fans lose their mind that he just didn't run three times. The problem isn't the whether PSU passes or runs it's that they aren't executing well at end of games. My only carp on the pass calls is they should have been higher percentage throws (like 2nd down throw).

I realize it ain't all lollipops and roses. I agree with Chris that WR, DB, LBs have been disappointing. The WRs have been a problem - and the most disappointing aspect is that it upperclassman that have been responsible for a bulk of the drops. If I guy can't catch after 4-5 years at this level I guess someone would have to tell me what the coaches aren't doing to prepare him or why guys like Godwin, Gesicki, Hamilton got more sure handed and better each year and what the coaches did differently with them.

Many of the guys who missed tackles or dropped sure fire INTs in OSU and MSU losses were upperclassman - again these are plays you expect multi year starters to make. We just don't have that LB who makes impact plays or who are physical enough to stand runners up at the point of contact - hopefully Parsons and Brooks become those guys.

If there is a coach I would put on notice it's the strength coach - PSU is getting outmuscled frequently - especially the back 7 on D and WRs are not very physical.
Second - I know CJF is Mr. Positivity but I think the team (especially the D) needs some guys with who arrive at the ball with bad intentions. The team has it's share of guys who have speed and skill but having some guys like Marcus Allen, James Boyd, Paul P., Navorro Bowman - guys that are going to pop people and not take Emmert from anyone are good to have around. I'm sure people saw the highlight of the UM player stomping on the Spartan logo pre-game - someone from MSU should have come out and popped him - same as George Teague did to TO when he went to the star. I think that 'tude would serve the team towards having a "let's finish it" mentality at end of games vs "just hang on".

And if anyone thinks pushing CJF out the door is the answer - remember - 18-22 year olds win games - and CJF gets very talented 18-22 year olds to go to PSU. Also if you happened to catch the UCLA game last night and saw the crowd shots - that's what happens when you are not satisfied with your program not being Alabama (see also Tennessee, Texas, FSU, Miami, Florida, Nebraska and a host of others) and you chase out solid coaches because they aren't churning out Top 5 teams constantly. Your team can spend a decade or more in mediocrity.
As someone mentioned - you had 13 guys from last year go to NFL rosters - that's not an easy fill. If you look at last 3 recruiting classes the good times are coming - just need to hold on a little longer.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:23 pm

First off, I absolutely love watching PSU and I love analyzing games. It is fun IMO and my friends and I enjoy doing it. I am being critical. I realize none of us thought PSU would be in this position this early due to crippling sanctions. But guess what, we are winning and I am not going to be happy with wins and losses just because I should be. JF wants to be an elite program but the players are the ones making mistakes for the most part. I don't always agree with JF but that is normal. I wholeheartedly agree with Lama there is not reason to get rid of or think about getting rid of JF. I love the guy!

I am wondering if the kids are getting a bit complacent. JF doesn't seem like a guy who is in your face. I will guarantee you that guys don't get complacent in New England or at Alabama! Maybe JF needs crack the whip a bit.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:40 pm

Yeah, I think that post belongs on another forum. Generally, this is no longer a crowd that goes crazy over these things. I expected 2 or 3 losses. Sure, it's frustrating when you give away winnable games like we did in our 2 losses. But, this is not the group that will lead the charge to fire Franklin or anything like that.

Well, maybe Nat is. And possibly Chris. But, not the majority of us.

Nat@PSU

Postby Nat@PSU » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:10 pm

I don't want to fire Franklin. He, for the most part has been awesome. The recruiting is moving us to a place where we will have larger margin for error. This program is, realistically, way ahead of where any of us thought it would be years ago.

Perhaps it is just that being soooooo close to being really good is frustrating. Franklin has shown us he can bring it this far and I think he can take the next step. That said, organizations are at their best when there is accountability. I think our kids took that to heart and so did the coaches.

I'm less confident in some of the new hires but we may just need to give them time. That doesn't make the close losses easier to swallow.

Ultimately my frustrations come down to this: it doesn't feel like the team is improving as we move through this season. In season improvement is, in my opinion, a hallmark of young, talented, and well coached teams. I'm concerned about the last part of that when I see our lack of improvement.
Last edited by Nat@PSU on Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Nat

Let's Go State!!

Shane

Postby Shane » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:18 pm

Agree with your post sameoldllama. This forum isn’t bad at all with the negativity. I also frequent the Lions 247 board and that place is a nut house, even after wins. Definitely not for the faint of heart, but you can find Appoo on the site.