Iowa Thread

PennState03Chris

Re: Iowa Thread

Postby PennState03Chris » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:29 pm

A win is a win, but 2018 reminds me more of 2014 and 2015 than it does 2016 and 2017. This team is poorly coached in virtually every phase. The execution is poor. They look uninspired, unprepared, and appear to lack confidence. Franklin is back to looking confused and making mind numbimg in-game decisions.

Nat@PSU

Postby Nat@PSU » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:34 pm

Insane stat from today's game:

Penn States Special Teams accounted for more Iowa points (four) than Iowa's offense (zero).

Man. Glad we are on the right side of that one, but wow. Gotta fix that.
- Nat

Let's Go State!!

Underlion

Postby Underlion » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:14 pm

Iowa took risks, it was a cold wet day and PSU made mistakes. In general Iowa did not move the ball as well as expected but neither did PSU. The PRO is not a low risk offense, it seems we could go to something safer when we are up 10. It seems bullheaded to not change when it is time to be safe and eat clock. If we pass how about 5 yardsvvto the TE or back. Watching Moorehead and MISS State it seems he is basic at times. Maybebbhe doesn't have the players he needs yet. Inside the 10 and we fumble. In reality it wasn't a high risk play b ut it was more risky than the QB going under center taking a snap and handing off for a dive. Worse case we go up by 13 and run more clock. But getvvthe TD and we are up 17, game over. Instead we give up the turnover, stop them, get the ball back on our own 5, throw a pick 6 and are up 3.

On the plus side we didn't give up an on sides kick. :lol:

Nat@PSU

Postby Nat@PSU » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:41 pm

Well, the only argument against that is that the RPO is our offense. It's what they practice, it's the principles they know. Live by it or die by it. We do forget that when kids execute it has provided A LOT of points over the past three years.

That said, I share your general frustration with us not being able to run the ball with power when the game dictates and the other team knows it. To be honest, I don't know the game well enough to know if it's a scheme or an execution problem. But it clearly is a problem.
- Nat

Let's Go State!!

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:48 pm

But you know what? Ferentz made some serious head scratching calls as well. PSU wins this game going away if they can snap and catch them and recover at least one of this Iowa fumbles.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:09 am

I think that you keep doing what is working and adjust if it isn’t. Look at Purdue last week. The big takeaway that I have is we handed them the game and quieted our home crowd early but fought back. We tried, not intentionally of course, to give Iowa life later but the kids stepped up when they had to. One big complaint is that we don’t close out the big games but we did not give up yesterday and came out with the W.

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:19 pm

We can agree there is room for improvement on a relatively young team. ;)

Unfortunately, some of the mistakes are repeated by the same offenders with little sign of change. Others show improvement seemingly weekly, good news. Considering several defenders were playing in high school stadiums a year ago this is good news. Injuries seem to mount yet are we different than other teams in this area?

When the clock ran down to 00:00 we had more points, the goal of the game no matter how you reach that goal. Ask U of Miami team post-Fiesta Bowl 1987. But, but, but, they had more yards! The 1960 Yankees, outscored the Pirates by a million runs in the three games they won. I used to think that way too, in my more impressionable days but I've come to understand that it doesn't matter how you reach the total. Its the total you reach that is important. I can be more fun to reach the total as we did in 2016 and 2017 but this is 2018. Next week we play UM, the Big 10 home office trying to keep the GAME alive at the end of Nov. and their officials. Should be fun...... :shock:
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

psuro

Postby psuro » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:29 pm

Pretty sure the main purpose of the 2018 Penn State Football Team is to give psuro a heart attack.

Shane

Postby Shane » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:06 pm

You and me both ro, though I have a bad feeling we won’t have to worry about it this Saturday.

Nittany Flier

Postby Nittany Flier » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:09 pm

As I sat in the stadium at halftime, I looked at the scoreboard and wondered how we managed to be tied with all the mistakes we made. Then I thought Iowa could be in trouble the second half. And they should have been but we made enough mistakes to keep them in the game.
With Taylor ineligible the first half, Sutherland got a lot of valuable playing time. This kid looks like he could be something special in the near future.
With all the problems we are having at the receiver position, where is Shorter? I see writeups about how well he is doing so why isn't he playing. I suspect that for whatever reason JF does not want to burn his red shirt. If that's the case, maybe we'll see him for the Wisc game.