Michigan Thread

sameoldlama

Re: Michigan Thread

Postby sameoldlama » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:21 pm

You don't get the penalty on the blocked punt and score is 7 - 7. If you don't get that penalty you don't subsequently fumble the ball on your side of the field and have an offside penalty which extends drive that results in UM's 2nd TD.

As Shane mentioned the overthrow on pass right before half cost you a certain TD. And both those errors were huge momentum killers. You can't go on the road against a higher ranked team and throw opportunities away. Factor in the Polk drop and the early McS slide costing 1st downs and those things add up in terms of field position, TOP and points. Last year if a guy dropped a pass or you took a 3 yard loss on a run it didn't matter because a 40 yard Barkley run, Hamilton going across middle for 13 yards for 1st down or Gesicki winning a contested catch in the red zone were right behind it. That's not happening this year.

Unquestionably PSU took 14 points off the board and handed UM 7 via unforced errors. Given how much the O struggled it's certainly conceivable that UM wins the 2nd half and the game but from a coaching perspective your play calling in a tie or one score game doesn't have to be as high risk as when you are down two scores. PSU blew any chance at a win by swinging score 21 points via unforced errors.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:15 pm

You go through that game you can fine some errors from Michigan, too. That's why I don't like playing "woulda, shoulda, coulda". It all comes down to "didn't".

We lost that game, and we lost well. Our offense was dominated. What's interesting to me is that the defense, who has been a bit of a weakspot this year in comparrison to the offense, looked pretty good to me. They were on the field a lot and the offense did not help them at all, but, overall, I think the D has been taken steps forward game on game.

This is not our year. We are a young team. I expect 2019 to be much better. I expected 3 losses this year, and that's what we have. They need to win out to keep me accurate. And, this is where Franklin and the seniors need to lead. They have 3 more games left. The team needs to stay up for those 3 more games. 9 - 3 is not a bad season given all we lost after last season. And, we were in every single game but the MIchigan game. I'm not thrilled with everything I see this year, but I'm equally not discouraged.
Is it baseball season yet?

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:59 pm

Not to beat a dead horse but my point is the issue of unforced errors - UM a good team - they are going to make plays. To me there is a big difference between "if only so and so had made that diving catch or broke one more tackle" or the opposition laying a hard hit to cause a fumble and your all time leading QB missing a completely uncovered or someone diving at a guys knees. Those mistakes came on potentially game changing plays.

I'm not saying PSU would have won for certain but you would have been sitting their in 3rd QT thinking they were one play away from maybe stealing a win vs one play away from blow out coming. It just changes the whole mood of the game. And IMO it's what the team needs to clean up the most - the unforced errors.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Underlion

Postby Underlion » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:00 pm

sameoldlama wrote:You don't get the penalty on the blocked punt and score is 7 - 7. If you don't get that penalty you don't subsequently fumble the ball on your side of the field and have an offside penalty which extends drive that results in UM's 2nd

As Shane mentioned the overthrow on pass right before half cost you a certain TD. And both those errors were huge momentum killers. You can't go on the road against a higher ranked team and throw opportunities away. Factor in the Polk drop and the early McS slide costing 1st downs and those things add up in terms of field position, TOP and points. Last year if a guy dropped a pass or you took a 3 yard loss on a run it didn't matter because a 40 yard Barkley run, Hamilton going across middle for 13 yards for 1st down or Gesicki winning a contested catch in the red zone were right behind it. That's not happening this year.

Unquestionably PSU took 14 points off the board and handed UM 7 via unforced errors. Given how much the O struggled it's certainly conceivable that UM wins the 2nd half and the game but from a coaching perspective your play calling in a tie or one score game doesn't have to be as high risk as when you are down two scores. PSU blew any chance at a win by swinging score 21 points via unforced errors.

As the Old Oakland A's Coach said 'Small ball keeps the players engaged, something about the law of accumulation, lots of little things matter.' You can't stand around waiting for the homerun. Look at the singles and stolen bases we didn't get. McSorely sliding early, missed TD pass, penalty on the FG runback, on and on. Polk drop? That was a foregone conclusion. Not to pick on the guy but he has hands of stone coated with Teflon. He needed to go to whatever school Geseki went to over the summer.

We could have been outplayed but still ahead 14-7 at half. Then Michigan's throat starts getting tight, the crowd quiets, CHOKE...

psuro

Postby psuro » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:21 pm

Just want to say how awful that game was.

Not much more to add.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:10 pm

Watching that game was bad enough.

Watching that game with pneumonia was flat out awful.
41-33.

saturdaysarebetter

Postby saturdaysarebetter » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:26 am

At least you can't blame one bad call for the difference in the game nor can you blame one play or player for the loss when you get blown out.

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:02 pm

I'm with Bdub on this one. In my tender years I played the coulda, shoulda, woulda card a lot but over time I learned that the only thing that matters is the score at the end of the game. The rest is window dressing. Well, not really but the goal remains the final score alone, nothing else. Just do it, or don't. ;)

Two years ago, after we played Michigan and lost badly, being down by up to 21 points was not insurmountable for our team. Not this year. The explosive factor is not apparent, at least not at the exponential level it was in 2016. Of course, when does that happen, consistently? Once in a lifetime? 1994 and 2016 both were different styles of offense. Both had a middling defense that could step up and take a bite out of the seat of your pants but generally not incredibly intimidating. This is not a condemnation but a recognition of the style of team we witnessed in 2016 and 1994, exciting, amazing and great fun. :D
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt