Michigan Thread

Nat@PSU

Re: Michigan Thread

Postby Nat@PSU » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:19 pm

Underlion wrote:
Nat@PSU wrote:Sometimes you eat the bear. Sometimes the bear disembowels you on live TV in front of a hundred thousand fans and everything is sad.

Beer disembowels you?

This one did. Then consumed us. Then . . . Well, you know.

What a beating.
- Nat

Let's Go State!!

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:28 pm

Yes, it was...just like the beat down we gave them last year at the Beav. That one was fun...this one, not so much.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

Underlion

Postby Underlion » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:53 pm

PittGradPSUMad wrote:Yes, it was...just like the beat down we gave them last year at the Beav. That one was fun...this one, not so much.

I felt like we beat them l last year. This year I feel like we gave it to them. Especially after the two INT's. Start with the bad spot, trace missing a wide open receiver...we needed to make plays to keep our defense off the field. The defense need to get off the field but the offense needed to do more.

Hate to think it didn't mean enough to us.

Nat@PSU

Postby Nat@PSU » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:17 pm

So hereis where I'm at: I'll preface this by saying I think we are generally moving in the right direction with some serious flaws:

- Blowouts: if we are moving towards great we should never be blown out like this. I think we are a good program but have a ways to go.
- James Franklin is 3-12 against OSU, MSU and Michigan. Not going to get it done. Only one season did they beat two of them (2016). 0-3 three times and 1-2 twice.
- Major glaring areas: ST and OL
- Galiano has shown nothing to suggest he can do his job well
- Limegrover has not developed this line with lots of experience and talent into a decent line against good DL's. Name a game, even a big win where the OL has played consistently well?!

- Rahne, jury is still out but need to see some flow and creativity. Hasn't shown that he can replace JoeMo.

Always tougher after a big loss but I think these are fair critiques of this staff. The good news is they are recruiting well but at some point, that just means the other part is a huge deal.
- Nat

Let's Go State!!

ShoreLion

Postby ShoreLion » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:40 pm

I'm not too bugged about the blowout itself. It happens to almost everybody sometime. PSU has had a really good run of non-blowouts. Michigan 2016 actually. OSU got creamed last year by Iowa and this year by Purdue. It happens. But until today PSU had a 4th quarter lead in something like 35 straight games so I'm not going to jump off the deep end for one game. Like you though, OL is a huge concern. It's just not getting better. I honestly think it is more mindset than coaching and ability for that group. Specials teams is a freaking disaster. PG has got to go. He has shown nothing except his teams being unprepared.

Nat@PSU

Postby Nat@PSU » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:23 pm

Also, I think the defense played well today. The score is indicative of offense and special teams WAY more so than Defense.

Are there times of some boneheaded mistakes and letsdowns? Sure. But they have steadily improved over the season. Kudos to Pry and a young group.

The other two phases has regressed, massively.
- Nat

Let's Go State!!

PennState03Chris

Postby PennState03Chris » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:22 pm

So, I happily missed most of the game. Happened to walk in at 28-0 and suffered through the final ~8 minutes. Zero interest in ever seeing the first 52 minutes. Ever. Ever.

Mentioned this before, but this season bears a lot of similarities to the 2014 and 2015 seasons. This team doesn't look prepared. They don't look like they really believe in what the coaches are giving them. The coaching staff on all sides doesn't seem to make any adjustments, it's "here's our plan and we're sticking to it!" The Rahne experiment has been an abject failure. Franklin took the "plug and play" strategy with this offense and is paying for it. People over systems, always. Rahne may have Moorhead's playbook, but neither he nor Franklin seem to have a clue how to execute it. With very few exceptions, both units and players have regressed year over year. Perhaps it's simply a regression to the mean; where a James Franklin team should actually be.

Ultimately, recruiting can only get this team so far. It can only mask coaching issues for so long. And recruiting can and will eventually fall off its peak if this team continues to struggle.

Unfortunately, I don't really feel any better about this program's future under James Franklin than I did when a few graduate assistants from Georgia embarrassed Penn State in the Huggies and Pampers Bowl a few years ago.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:36 am

Had to watch the 2nd half this morning. I started to do some serious fast forwarding after it was 35 - 0. And, before I read through this thread I first took a few minutes to go back and read all the complaints about how we beat Iowa. Sort of a "girding my loins" preparation for this thread.

Anyway, in summary: that sucked.

Here is the worst part, though: my sister's daughters go to OSU and Michigan. I now have to kill my brother-in-law at Thanksgiving.
Is it baseball season yet?

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:46 am

Oh, one other things. Something I said before but I think it bears repeating: we sent 13 starters from last year's squad to the NFL. That is a lot of talent and depth to replace. A lot. What we are witnessing is growing pains. I'm not happy about it but I'm also not surprised. I figured we would lose 3 games this year. We've now lost 3 games. It could end up being 4. There is no guarantee we beat Wisconsin. So, if it's 4, then it's 4. But, I wouldn't read too much into one season.

Hey, look where Michigan was last year. Look where they are now. Experience has an impact.

Bring on the Badgers.
Is it baseball season yet?

Shane

Postby Shane » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:47 am

If we win this week, 9-3 is probable. If that is our rebuilding year, we are in a good spot.