Michigan Thread

Carl Spackler

Re: Michigan Thread

Postby Carl Spackler » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:53 pm

Not much to add to the observations above. Good stuff guys.

Bdub, justifiable homicide, time served plus a drumstick.

Is our coach a bit soft on the team? I have wondered about that facet in the past but not voiced it. Is there a proverbial @$$ kicking required, a wake-up call? Or is it completely the rebuild issue, which is a large part obviously. Or something completely different?

These younger players will remember the "revenge tour commentary" from UM for a long time. I hope they can return the favor, repeatedly.
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:32 am

Well that wasn't the outcome I was hoping for - but on the positive side I was in a bar and couldn't hear announcers fellate UM the entire game.

That said I think the opportunity to win was coughed up through the series of unforced errors in the 1st half:

1. Penalty of blocked FG return : - 7 points
2. Fumble of muffed hand off exchange
3. Penalty extends UM drive which results on TD : + 7 to UM
4. Missed wide open WR just before half : - 7 points

All these had nothing to do with a UM player doing anything. All just mental or execution errors. In every game you will get beat on some plays simply because the player on opposing team beats you and makes a better play. The first half was PSU beating themselves. Take away any one of those errors and you go into half at worst down 14 -7 and take away a combo and you go in to half tied 7 -7 or up 14 - 7.

The game ended after UM went up 21 - 0 - Penn State quit. I agree with earlier poster that the 3rd and long pass play that preceded 3rd TD looked like offensive PI that I've seen called on PSU multiple times this year. I don't think it changed win / loss but it opened up the door for the blowout.

I'd say my biggest disappointments aside from the unforced errors on key plays in 1st half - the offense looked lifeless and didn't seem to be ready or able to adjust to UM rush schemes - too many guys came just about free too often. The second is the team just quit when they got down 21 - 0 and let themselves be embarrassed and nobody seemed to be pissed about it.

I get it - you don't want somebody rubbing it in your face - play better. I get you can say Trace deserves some payback on his TD celebration - but he's your teammate, your leader and the guy who has done a ton for your team - you have to have his back - so when one of the most jerk laden programs in the B1? mocks him in the middle of field during the game - well somebody needs to get in someone's face.

There are tons of great things about this program in terms of talent and quality of the kids in the program - but I do you think you needs some guys with a bit of an attitude and a chip on their shoulder. Somebody should be in a bad mood.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:53 am

That said I think the opportunity to win was coughed up through the series of unforced errors in the 1st half:

I kind of thought our inability to move the ball, much less score, was sort of a bigger problem. The UM defense completely shut down our offense. We had nothing that whole game.
Is it baseball season yet?

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:54 am

Agree, the PSU offensive line was just dominated. We keep hearing how they've improved and have so much talent but whatever. I don't see it. They are not nasty, they do not hold blocks and the rarely put people on their backs.

And you still have to TRY to run the damn ball! Here's a fun stat: PSU QB's ran the ball 22 times! Yes, some were not designed but still. On the other hand, PSU RB's ran the ball 8 times. 8. Let me spell it out: EIGHT. That's crazy. It was only 14-0 so it's not like it was out of hand at that point.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:17 am

I agree PSU offense was dead all day - but fact remains PSU could have go into the half up 14 -7. If you go into 3rd QT with a lead it changes momentum and feel of game - I'm not saying they would have been a lock to win but they probably don't get blown out. as I've commented previously - without guys like Barkley, Gesicki, Hamilton who would give you 5 - 6 splash plays a game. This year the only guys making big plays with any consistency are Hamler and McS and McS was MIA this game (which kind of takes away Hamler). Sanders has disappeared last few games. The inability to get big plays on O means no covering the mistakes (penalty on return, fumble, missed open WR). This team just doesn't have much margin for error.

As much as the O got physically dominated they didn't match the intensity of UM D and either the UM D coaching staff outschemed PSU or the players weren't making proper reads - they weren't picking up stunts or blitzes at all.

The PSU D was respectable for 3 QTs but for a team that runs the RPO they got fooled on QB keepers to the point of embarrassment.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:25 am

I agree PSU offense was dead all day - but fact remains PSU could have go into the half up 14 -7.

No, they could not have. They never had a chance to be up 14 - 7. The closest they came to scoring against Michigan's starting D was that blocked field goal attempt. But, the offense could not do squat all day. There was no chance they were getting a 14 - 7 lead. Perhaps they could have gone into the half only down 14 - 7. That, perhaps, is possible (in the sense that all things are possible but certainly not in the sense that they were good enough to put points up on Michigan). But, the notion that we could have had a lead heading into the locker room at the half, well, you wathced a different game than the one I watched if that was your take away.

We were out matched, out coached and out played on all aspects against their starters. That's what I saw, at least.

Shane

Postby Shane » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:48 am

I think 14-14 at half was possible. McSorley missed Thompkins on a gimme TD pass when he shook the DB and the ball was overthrown. He was easily behind the defense and had a TD had the ball been delivered anywhere near him.

hbendle

Postby hbendle » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:19 pm

One defensive issue I was wondering about is the lack of polish at the linebacker positions. Is this part of our difficulty stopping the run through wide DL holes, or pressuring QBs? Or, is that all on the D line? It seems like we used to have some stars that made great plays helping DBs and DLs. I can't say if it's youth or talent or game management, but I fear a longer-term decline where the LBs won't be the go-to, game changing guys any more.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:21 pm

I think 14-14 at half was possible. McSorley missed Thompkins on a gimme TD pass when he shook the DB and the ball was overthrown. He was easily behind the defense and had a TD had the ball been delivered anywhere near him.

Was that gonig to be a 14 point TD? You guys are all giving us 14 at the half, and we ended up with 0.

Shane

Postby Shane » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:32 pm

I was going with the penalty on the blocked punt as well as this play giving it 14-14. Obviously didn't matter in the outcome, but when playing a what if scenario, it was possible.

You had stated that the offense did nothing all day and wasn't moving on Michigan's defense, I was just pointing out that we blew an easy TD.