Crush SPitt In-Game

Underlion

Re: Crush SPitt In-Game

Postby Underlion » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:07 pm

Disappointed but a 19 point win is OK. Defense against the run was poor and McS was not on. Special teams were good.

Michigan and MD were not as impressive this week. MD defense is suspect.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:43 pm

In the end I'll gladly take a 33-14 win.

As much as I hate to say it, you have to give Pitt props. They could have folded after going down 14-0. But they hung in there and played tough. They moved the ball pretty well but just couldn't close the deal.

Saw that some 109,898 people were there. That is awesome.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:46 pm

Let's look on the bright side.

Eastern Michigan 16, Rutgers 13. :lol: :lol: :lol:

On the other hand, Penn State won.

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:43 pm

Another win where I never thought the outcome was in doubt. It was nice for a 2nd straight week to feel confident from the beginning. I am not happy with the outcome but this is possibly a perfect win for us. Everything part of our game looked screwed up. We never got into a rhythm but we somehow made it work with ease. I would like to see us go deep a bit more. I am not sure we really tried today (I was canning and making spaghetti sauce all day so the game didn't have 100% of my attention). Going deep opens up everything for Gesicki and Barkley. I will say this again because I love saying it, "Marcus Allen is ridiculously good!" He reminds me of Ronnie Lott. He over pursues once in awhile but he makes up for it by crushing people! Good win and onto the next game. Who are we playing next... Alcorn State?

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:15 pm

End game thoughts:

Barkley is just a wonderful football player.

Thought Pitt's game plan was pretty good...keep the ball away from our offense. Unfortunately they came up field goals, and we came up TD's (for the most part). Time of possession was stark...though I'm not sure it's that big a deal against Pitt. Against OSU or Michigan, it may be.

Defensive line lacks that absolute beast. So used to seeing guys blow plays up for the past couple years, that I was disappointed with their play today (except for Shariff Miller, who did play a very good game).

Didn't think Trace was terrible today - two TDs in the first half were awesome to Gsicki, and he reeled off a number of scampers.

Also thought the game was never in doubt. I like those types of games. One more week of non con, then it gets real.

Some thoughts on other teams - I continue to be unimpressed by the Buckeyes. Michigan's defense scares me a bit - very, very athletic, especially on the line. Not sure what to make of the Terps. The rest of the teams seem to also-rans.

All I got. We Are!
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:41 pm

A PSU win over Pitt and Ohio State and Notre Dame both lose. That's a real good day in my book.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:05 am

That was a good game to watch, but I thought it was closer than all of you did. We let Pitt march down the field the whole first half. They put up 6 instead of 3 on those 2 drives - which they could possibly have done - and that is a very different game.

On offense, it felt like Barkley never really got going. The Oline wasn't as good today. Johnson was barely a part of the offense.

I didn't think it was a great game by our guys. They beat a young Pitt team but they play like that against OSU or Michigan and there could be some issues.

Also, the Pitt back-up QB who turned down UPenn to stay home at Pitt - are you kidding me? Pitt is a good school, much better than when I was in college in the 80s. I am looking at it as a possibility for my oldest. But, it ain't UPenn. That was a bad choice.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:08 pm

I was like B&W - that was the most nerve wracking 19 point win I ever experienced - but that may be because I have such high expectations for the season and it just never seemed like PSU was in control (and except TOs they were statistically on the short end).

The Good
Special teams made a significant contribution to the win. Davis's KOs and Gilliken's punting and the punt coverage neutralized Henderson. Gilliken's punt in the 4th sealed game - with 6 mins left there was time for Pitt to get 2 scores and tie it - instead PSU notches a safety and offense follows with 3 points and about 3-1/2 mins come off clock. Thompkins solid with 30+ yards on 3 returns - that's 3 extra first downs.

The D came up with big plays to put points on the board (INT led to easy TD, safety) and limited Pitt's first two red zone trips to FGs

The offense - you know times are good when your offense puts up 31 points and is considered to have struggled.

The Bad
On D gave up way too much yards after first contact, the LBs were MIA and late in the second half they couldn't find the ball carrier.

On O the WRs were MIA in the passing game but to their credit they stayed engaged in run game and made some nice downfield blocks

I thought the OL did OK, I thought McSorely jumped out of the pocket too early several times and Pitt seemed ready for it and had outside contain, forcing him to throw it away. McS seemed off in terms of accuracy and missed Barkley of a sure TD (though they came back to the play in 2nd half and cashed it in for TD). Be interested to hear from someone at game if it looked like no WRs were open or were they just out of sync.

The Ugly
Barkley is one of the best players in college football - but he is not a kick returner and PSUs kick return unit doesn't provide much to work with - get him out of that role - there are plenty of skill / speed guys on the roster that he doesn't need to be on that unit.

Miles Sanders puts the ball of the ground too much. IMO he's behind Allen and Robinson on depth chart.

The RPO - if you're struggling with the P and teams can key on the R you're F-ed in A because it takes too long to develop if teams are keying on run and stacking box. It's an explosive offensive scheme but that is a limitation.

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:41 pm

Part of the problem is that the offense had the ball for 21 minutes, so there was no rhythm established. Franklin said in his post gamer that the 'D' didn't get enough (any?) 3 and outs, putting more pressure on themselves than they should have and leaving the offense on the bench.

Still, I didn't have any sense that Pitt ever had a shot here. I think they ran their game plan as well as they could've hoped, yet still fell well short. Put the back up in there instead of the kid they started at QB, maybe I feel differently, but they really didn't do that until the starter got cut.

Agree w/ most: LB is the weak link. We miss that kid who transferred - he could tackle. Cabinda seems out there on an island - Koa Farmer played a poor game, and Cam isn't there physically or mentally yet - his penalty was not good. The rest of the guys, Brandon Smith, a couple others, are back up material.

I like this team. Unfortunately, unlike JoePa's teams, I'm still not sure what we have beyond Barkley.

Oh, and I like him returning 1 or 2 kickoffs a game. I know there's an injury risk, but I think ST's are a huge part of Franklin's strategy, and he fits a good role out there. Not like he's taking a knee every time - he's doing a good job.

Final note: Miles Sanders might find himself watching from the sidelines for the rest of the season. I sure don't want him carrying the ball. The kid coming in next year might surpass Miles im on the depth chart the first day he steps on campus. Fumbles will get you benched every time.
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.

ShoreLion

Postby ShoreLion » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:16 pm

Cabinda played pretty well but agreed, the outside LBs are not sure tacklers. The shovel pass (and OMG, I've seen people refer to it as "shuffle" and "shuttle") killed them because of their speed. Fast is nice but not if you're constantly running past the play. The tackles are playing decently but they have just got to be more disruptive in the run game. This line may get pushed around by somebody like Iowa. I disagree with what others said on here, I still think Apke is the weakest link on the field most plays. He's really bad against the run. What is up with the offensive line? They are still not getting push like they need to. 3rd downs were terrible yet again, even in short yardage. That's still my beef with this offense, if you need a yard and the defense is stuffing the box and bringing pressure you can't expect to hand off the ball and dance around. You need to get the ball and slam it up in there. At least Franklin punted instead of going for it late in the game. That decision led directly to a safety. Having a good punter is so important to helping out a defense. Still, I never felt like PSU was in trouble. You could see they had way more talent. So a 19 point win and a week with plenty to work on and then try out against probably the worst team in Division I could be beneficial.