Wisky Thread

Blue&White

Re: Wisky Thread

Postby Blue&White » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:25 am

I'm with Nat. And, I'd be ok with the record if he made $1M a year. But, he doesn't.

I still think we are a year away. But, if we keep losing the big games he's going to be gone. There is no way PSU will accept that level of performance at that salary. When you get the big time money you need to deliver the big time results.
Is it baseball season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:43 am

It will be interesting. If a few years from now, Penn State ends up firing a guy who has been winning 9,10, or 11 games a year and finishing in or near the top-10 every year, they're probably going to take considerable grief from the national media. I can already see the headlines: "Who do they think they are?"
Klaatu barada nikto

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:59 am

Right. And isn't that what happened to Frank Solich at Nebraska. I haven't checked his record, but I believe it was similar to JF's tenure. That didn't work out so well for Nebraska.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:23 am

I can see the argument regarding Franklin's salary, but unfortunately college HC salaries have reached Looney Tunes level. If you're the HC of a Top-10 caliber team these days, you're probably making a minimum of 5M per.
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:34 am

It's the Looney Tunes salaries that make me believe PSU isn't going to tolerate a coach who never gets past 11 wins and plays for an NC. That kind of money requires a certain level of return. So far, Franklin hasn't delivered that. That's not an indictment of the job he's done, it's just hard cold reality. And, I can't believe the people who sign his pay check haven't noticed it.

I think Franklin is fine right now but, to dad's earlier point, there is going to come a point where not making the playoffs is going to be a line in the sand. I think it's after 2021 but I suppose it could go a little longer than that. Not much longer, though. At some point he will have to deliver.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:59 am

Breathe deep guys - it's a beautiful, sunny. crisp autumn day and PSU won this weekend.

Barring a collapse of the program or some scandal CJF isn't going anywhere in the next 5 years even if he doesn't go to the CFB (which he will - and win a NC)
Here are the reasons why

1. He's a top recruiter
CJF has been landing Top 10 classes the last three years and has been 2 or 3 in the very competitive B1?. In one service I looked at last year PSU had 7 of the Top 20 recruits in B1? last year (OSU had 12, UM 1). Talent always shows. Let's not forget the circumstances he had to deal with when he started hitting the recruiting circuit at his start - to pull in the talent he did in the timeframe he did was a minor miracle.

2. Much of the Talent has lived up to the hype
Take a look - in a five year stint of coaching see how many guys CJF has in the record books - including a QB who every other program recruited as a safety.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penn_Stat ... al_leaders

3. He wins
I'm willing to throw out the first two years as he inherited depleted roster hit by sanctions and BO'B lack of effort in recruiting on his way out the door. As of Saturday he is 29 - 7 - that's an .806 winning percentage. I fully get the need to improve against OSU, UM, MSU and that 3 - 6 over last three years has to improve - but he's also 7 - 0 against cross division programs UW, NW, Iowa. Within 5 years he should pass MSU and be on par with OSU and UM.

4. That salary number doesn't mean Emmert
That's the cost of doing business right now. Louisville is about to cough up $14MM to get Bobby Petrino to go away - so to pay CJF $6MM to potentially win 10 games and take you to a 3rd straight NYD bowl is a bargain. And where that bargain really shows up is you are back to being a premium brand. The scandal was knocking 10-20M butts (and the associated non ticket dollars) out of your program and pockets. I guarantee you the resurgence he has brought to the program has generated far more dollars than the salary they pay vs what Joe made.

5. Despite people wanting them fired every week he does actually build good staffs
There is a reason his staff gets poached by D1 (and SEC) teams - because they are competent coaches who can recruit and develop talent. After PSU moved on from old staff the offensive coaches could get hired to a Pop Warner program - the only coach having a continued high level of success is LJ Sr. (he's killing us at OSU). I do think Vandy would have been a keeper and I loved Scrap but he's on his 3rd job since leaving I believe.

So calm down. It's going to be OK. In a couple of years DT will be gone PSU will be headed to CFB and Dad and I will celebrate the fulfillment of my prophecy with post game lap dances for an entire season.

We Are, baby .... We Are
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:08 am

So calm down.

If I were any calmer, I'd be comatose. This is all just hypothetical shooting the breeze. And when/if push comes to shove, I doubt any of us will be consulted.

PS - I do like the post-game lap dance plan.
Klaatu barada nikto

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:46 am

Actually if the way the PSU, MSU and UM administrations handled recent affairs I am fairly confident we will be providing input into this - and many other decisions concerning the operation of various Universities while we are at the tiki / lap dance bar. That's the only scenario I can come up with to explain how these people keep making such colossal cluster mucks out of any issue that crops up.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:41 am

hat's the only scenario I can come up with to explain how these people keep making such colossal cluster mucks out of any issue that crops up.

It's a mystery. My favorite is still the douchebag MSU board of trustees member who dismissed the whole Larry Nassar affair and said the president of MSU wasn't going anywhere and leave him alone he has more important things to discuss. And then she was gone like 3 days later.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:48 am

sameoldlama wrote:Breathe deep guys - it's a beautiful, sunny. crisp autumn day and PSU won this weekend.

Barring a collapse of the program or some scandal CJF isn't going anywhere in the next 5 years even if he doesn't go to the CFB (which he will - and win a NC)
Here are the reasons why

1. He's a top recruiter
CJF has been landing Top 10 classes the last three years and has been 2 or 3 in the very competitive B1?. In one service I looked at last year PSU had 7 of the Top 20 recruits in B1? last year (OSU had 12, UM 1). Talent always shows. Let's not forget the circumstances he had to deal with when he started hitting the recruiting circuit at his start - to pull in the talent he did in the timeframe he did was a minor miracle.

2. Much of the Talent has lived up to the hype
Take a look - in a five year stint of coaching see how many guys CJF has in the record books - including a QB who every other program recruited as a safety.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penn_Stat ... al_leaders

3. He wins
I'm willing to throw out the first two years as he inherited depleted roster hit by sanctions and BO'B lack of effort in recruiting on his way out the door. As of Saturday he is 29 - 7 - that's an .806 winning percentage. I fully get the need to improve against OSU, UM, MSU and that 3 - 6 over last three years has to improve - but he's also 7 - 0 against cross division programs UW, NW, Iowa. Within 5 years he should pass MSU and be on par with OSU and UM.

4. That salary number doesn't mean Emmert
That's the cost of doing business right now. Louisville is about to cough up $14MM to get Bobby Petrino to go away - so to pay CJF $6MM to potentially win 10 games and take you to a 3rd straight NYD bowl is a bargain. And where that bargain really shows up is you are back to being a premium brand. The scandal was knocking 10-20M butts (and the associated non ticket dollars) out of your program and pockets. I guarantee you the resurgence he has brought to the program has generated far more dollars than the salary they pay vs what Joe made.

5. Despite people wanting them fired every week he does actually build good staffs
There is a reason his staff gets poached by D1 (and SEC) teams - because they are competent coaches who can recruit and develop talent. After PSU moved on from old staff the offensive coaches could get hired to a Pop Warner program - the only coach having a continued high level of success is LJ Sr. (he's killing us at OSU). I do think Vandy would have been a keeper and I loved Scrap but he's on his 3rd job since leaving I believe.

So calm down. It's going to be OK. In a couple of years DT will be gone PSU will be headed to CFB and Dad and I will celebrate the fulfillment of my prophecy with post game lap dances for an entire season.

We Are, baby .... We Are

Beautifully stated.
National Champions 1911, 1912, 1969, 1981, 1982, 1986, 1994