Wisky Thread

Blue&White
Posts: 2654
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:01 am

Re: Wisky Thread

Postby Blue&White » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:18 am

No, I don't think so. And, certainly not for the money he's getting.

I would bet that if he doesn't make the playoffs in 2019 or 2020 he may not be back for 2021. But, given the starting point he came from, and the success he had recently, there is a little bit of patience. But, another 2 years of losing the big games by a couple of points, or getting blown out by a top team like we were against Michicgan, and he's out. He would have to be. You can't pay a guy almost $6M a year and be willing to settle for him always being a bride's maid. That would be lunacy.

That was the big advantage of Joe; PSU paid him $500k a year which, even at the time, was well below market. He took money from other sources but never asked for much from PSU. And, as a result they could tolerate a lot of mediocrity for a long time (which given how close he was with many of the big donors they had no choice but to tolerate). Franklin has none of that. If he can't get the team to the playoffs then he has to be out.

I'm ok with that. I just think expecting us to make it this year after graduating all that talent was unrealistic. You had to know this was going to be a down year going in, and I consider 9 - 3 down. If he doesn't close the gap in 19 or 20 I'll be on board with getting him out.
Is it baseball season yet?

tempe
Posts: 240
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:54 pm

Re: Wisky Thread

Postby tempe » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:50 am

I guess I never think about the money - I simply forget. It must matter. And really - the money aspect turns me way off to sports. Ask Nebraska how easy it is to find a coach. Not sure how I feel about that turn-over cycle. Then again, I do not really care about winning a NT much. I was generally happy with the 10-2 level with an occasional big year. I care about having a program that produces quality human beings. Players who can speak into a microphone without someone like me - an educator and a student of humanity- wondering how the hell is that person in college. But I digress. I guess I should settle for respecting an institution that does not have sixty-four different uniform combinations.

Underlion
Posts: 571
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:02 pm

Re: Wisky Thread

Postby Underlion » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:17 pm

tempe wrote:I guess I never think about the money - I simply forget. It must matter. And really - the money aspect turns me way off to sports. Ask Nebraska how easy it is to find a coach. Not sure how I feel about that turn-over cycle. Then again, I do not really care about winning a NT much. I was generally happy with the 10-2 level with an occasional big year. I care about having a program that produces quality human beings. Players who can speak into a microphone without someone like me - an educator and a student of humanity- wondering how the hell is that person in college. But I digress. I guess I should settle for respecting an institution that does not have sixty-four different uniform combinations.


Ditto, competing with top 10 programs and producing character matters more to me, but I'm not a doner with influence?

Blue&White
Posts: 2654
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:01 am

Re: Wisky Thread

Postby Blue&White » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:21 pm

I am actually in favor of that, too. I'd be more than happy to have a coach who wasn't asking for $6M a year and won the B10 once every few years. My only point was PSU didn't pay Franklin $6M a year to finish 10 - 2 every year. At some point, the brass is going to want more.

Btw, I would be much happier if we went back to the days where football coaches were paid as football coaches instead of rock stars and there was less focus on the money. I wouldn't mind if we were a 1AA school at this point. But, that genie is out of the bottle and he's not going back in.
Is it baseball season yet?

psu_dad
Posts: 1608
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:59 pm

Re: Wisky Thread

Postby psu_dad » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:55 pm

College HC salaries have gone through the roof. Different sources report different numbers, but there's something like a half-dozen guys making 6M+ and another half-dozen making 5M+. It wasn't that long ago such a salary would have been large for an NFL coach.
Klaatu barada nikto

Nat@PSU
Posts: 287
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:56 pm

Re: Wisky Thread

Postby Nat@PSU » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:19 pm

I don't know what the future holds for JF but as I've refer need before, the biggest numbers for him are the following:

3-12. He has gone 3-12 against OSU, Michigan, and MSU. He hasn't ever beaten all of them in a season and only once has gone 2-1. He has gone 0-3 in three seasons now. And there have been some serious blowouts in there too.

For $6M a year, that just won't cut it.

Like I said I think he is doing a relatively good job and is on track, but if those numbers don't start to trend the other direction I wouldn't be surprised to see him out. I'm not sure you can find someone to do better either to be honest. Barring the lottery-like scenario that you find a guy who can put up Sabanesque numbers (and I don't think that is possible at PSU) I don't think that you can really do better.
- Nat

Let's Go State!!

PSUgrower
Posts: 722
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:52 am

Re: Wisky Thread

Postby PSUgrower » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:52 pm

psu_dad wrote:I don't see how the above warrants firing, or even consideration of it.

I suppose that depends on expectations. In 5 years, he hasn't yet established Penn State as a CFP-caliber team. If that's the goal, he's fallen short. If competing for a Big-10 title occasionally is enough, there's no reason to consider letting him go. He seems capable of accomplishing that.

PS - If he ever brings back those fakakta jerseys with the white trim, he should be fired immediately.

I am not going after you Dad, I just needed a quote so people knew what I was commenting on.
Ummm, how many of us thought we would be discussing this in 2018?? Most of us had PSU starting to be 500 by this time. It is an absolute joke that people want JF out! I don't care what his record is against some teams. (poker analogy)He came to this program with pair of 2's but has somehow turned those 2s into a full house. We still can get a straight flush but that is hard to do. I am lost on the JF talk!

PSUgrower
Posts: 722
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:52 am

Re: Wisky Thread

Postby PSUgrower » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:02 pm

Nat@PSU wrote:I don't know what the future holds for JF but as I've refer need before, the biggest numbers for him are the following:

3-12. He has gone 3-12 against OSU, Michigan, and MSU. He hasn't ever beaten all of them in a season and only once has gone 2-1. He has gone 0-3 in three seasons now. And there have been some serious blowouts in there too.

For $6M a year, that just won't cut it.

Like I said I think he is doing a relatively good job and is on track, but if those numbers don't start to trend the other direction I wouldn't be surprised to see him out. I'm not sure you can find someone to do better either to be honest. Barring the lottery-like scenario that you find a guy who can put up Sabanesque numbers (and I don't think that is possible at PSU) I don't think that you can really do better.

You need to throw out 2014 and 2015 and then give me some stats. He was in repair mode those years and they mean nothing to me.

Crowbar
Posts: 706
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:54 pm

Re: Wisky Thread

Postby Crowbar » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:05 am

Agreed. You cannot hold 2014 or 2015 against him.
National Champions 1911, 1912, 1969, 1981, 1982, 1986, 1994

Nat@PSU
Posts: 287
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:56 pm

Re: Wisky Thread

Postby Nat@PSU » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:16 am

PSUgrower wrote:
Nat@PSU wrote:I don't know what the future holds for JF but as I've refer need before, the biggest numbers for him are the following:

3-12. He has gone 3-12 against OSU, Michigan, and MSU. He hasn't ever beaten all of them in a season and only once has gone 2-1. He has gone 0-3 in three seasons now. And there have been some serious blowouts in there too.

For $6M a year, that just won't cut it.

Like I said I think he is doing a relatively good job and is on track, but if those numbers don't start to trend the other direction I wouldn't be surprised to see him out. I'm not sure you can find someone to do better either to be honest. Barring the lottery-like scenario that you find a guy who can put up Sabanesque numbers (and I don't think that is possible at PSU) I don't think that you can really do better.

You need to throw out 2014 and 2015 and then give me some stats. He was in repair mode those years and they mean nothing to me.


OK, then he is 3-6. 33% winning percentage against the 3 teams in conference that matter.

Listen, I'm not saying he is doing a bad job. I'm saying that if that trend and percentage doesn't turn around in the next few years then I don't see how he can hold on here.

Realistically, he is doing a great job recruiting, has been about 50% on his assistant hires, and has some seriously questionable gametime decisions. I think that is a fair and rational assessment of the job he has done. I don't want to undersell the recruiting either. That he has been able to get so much top flight talent to come here despite what this placed looked like in 2014 and 2015 is nothing short of incredible. But that's only a part of the equation, and that he can ONLY recruit has been the knock on him for a while. I'm just saying that the jury is still out.
- Nat

Let's Go State!!