Rutgers thread

Underlion

Re: Rutgers thread

Postby Underlion » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:18 pm

That was a bad game in so many ways. A win but not much entertainment value. PSU should handle Rutgers more easily, instead they sleepwalk thru.

Underlion

Postby Underlion » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:20 pm

Either way MD could give us trouble. I didnt think so last week but after today's 2 games I do.

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:24 pm

That game was.......really something. :roll:
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

tempe

Postby tempe » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:21 pm

Boy - What a game! Two top caliber teams slugging it out in dynamic fashion. Simply thrilling!

the philly special when it works:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XmhBaUdges

and when it does not:
https://www.sbnation.com/college-footba ... ly-special

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:03 am

Obviously yesterday's game will never be compared to the 1987 Fiesta Bowl. But the below article puts it into perspective a little bit.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.blacks ... in-rutgers
National Champions 1911, 1912, 1969, 1981, 1982, 1986, 1994

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:30 am

I have to say this team is making it tougher by the game to find those silver linings.

Nat perfectly encapsulated the "all right to oh Emmert" frustration of seeing Parsons get a strip sack, seeing multiple Lions around the ball and going from - D is going to score to recovery for sure points to they are punting deep in their own territory to Rutgers first down midfield. And he's right - this team shoots themselves in the foot that way far too often and that's contributing to making games closer than they should be. Had same reaction when Sanders was running wide at end of game - I'm sure all of us yelled "stay in bounds" he did - and lost the ball.

We all love Trace and what he has accomplished in his career - it was tough to see him play arguably one of his worst games the same day he breaks the career win record. He was just off and making some bad decisions.

I didn't understand why the offensive play calling went so heavy on first down throws - Rutgers doesn't have a great rush D and McS was struggling - seemed to me PSU was in way too many 2nd and 10s.

But here are my positives

The defense has improved significantly throughout the season. Parsons is getting better every week - when he has another full off season to develop he has the chance to be dominant. The defensive line has been strong and Miller and Gross Matos are dominating and Windsor is solid. The secondary has greatly improved through the season both in coverage and tackling. D has also been doing a better job of generating TOs and looking to strip ball to cause fumbles. They will need to tighten up at LB next year and replace talent in secondary but you have to be happy with how they have played second half of season.

If you dig in on Pinegar's stats he is 9-10 on FGs inside 40 and 5-10 outside 40 - so it looks like in off season he needs to improve his range. Cover teams have been solid. Hamler looks like he will be a solid return guy.

The offense - well Freiermuth looks like he's going to be a solid TE. Hamler is over 1000 all purpose yards and looks to be a potential big play guy. Clearly need two other guys to step up at WR out of Dotson, Shorter, Sullivan Brown and Hippenhaimer. I will be curious to see who starts and who sees the targets in the bowl game after team has a few weeks of post season work.

Right now the biggest issue on offense is the inability to get big plays - last two years PSU lived on big plays and you had four guys (Barkley, Hamilton, Gesicki, McS) who could deliver them consistently. These last 5 games you've had McS, Sanders, Hamler flash one here or there but not consistently. This is forcing offense to go on long 10-12 play drives and when that happens there is more of a chance of an errant pass, a dropped pass, a penalty or a whiff on block for a loss killing a drive. As far as pass game, watching on TV I can't tell if McS is making bad decisions or if the WRs aren't running crisp routes and getting separation but it is just not clicking. Throw in drops and inaccurate passes and it's been a problem.

Well dual personality Maryland visits for finale - they need win to be bowl eligible and I'm sure they will be emotional in last game of season dedicated to their fallen teammate. Let's hope PSU can match the emotion on Trace's last game in the Beav. I'e given up hoping for an easy viewing experience.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall