Franklin to USC?

psuro

Re: Franklin to USC?

Postby psuro » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:25 pm

Recent Bruce Feldman tweet that Clay Helton is coming back for next year.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:28 pm

Franklin was apparently asked about it and said there was nothing to it and it was just crazy rumors.

So, expect the announcement he's going to USC prior to the bowl game.

:twisted:
Is it baseball season yet?

psuro

Postby psuro » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:03 pm

Blue&White wrote:Franklin was apparently asked about it and said there was nothing to it and it was just crazy rumors.

So, expect the announcement he's going to USC prior to the bowl game.

:twisted:

I am a Pennsylvania kid with a South Central heart.

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:31 am

Actually all Franklin said was that it wasn't even fair to be talking about that job. Presumably because it's not even open yet. But he did not say something akin to "I'm not going anywhere".

Shane

Postby Shane » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:56 am

Now there are reports that USC is retaining the coach and no position is even available.

Underlion

Postby Underlion » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:47 pm

Didn't he and his agent leverage before for improved assistant coach salaries and facilities?

nittwittier

Postby nittwittier » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:44 pm

JF emphatically said “he has all the plans in the world to be here [at PSU]” to clear any lingering doubt. But honestly, his initial answer was vague and noncommittal. He was annoyed about having to talk about it again, but IMO he brought it on himself. How hard is it to say “I’m not going anywhere”. Oh well. Onwards and upwards

Nat@PSU

Postby Nat@PSU » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:48 pm

He knows the game and he plays the game well. Good for him.

I think Franklin has done a good job. His greatest abilities thus far have been to recruit, and to hire assistants who do a good enough job on the FB end to make things run.

If he can make another run with a hire like JoeMo and combine that with the consistent high end recruiting then we are in for a fun few years.

This year has been strange. We are 8-3 and if has felt like pulling teeth. If we go 10-3 or 9-4 and this is our down year? Well, that's definitely good enough. Want to see if he can get over the hump. Not sure who to bet on but he has shown me enough thus far to be optimistic.
- Nat

Let's Go State!!

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:19 am

The reason for JF possibly leaving for USC that makes me laugh is the feeling he is not appreciated at PSU. Ok, maybe some internet posters want him gone, but these are the types of people who can't be pleased no matter what. I think, despite the tough losses, most of our fan base is rational and appreciates him. I would like to think JF understands that.

That being said, what makes anyone think JF would be appreciated in LA? I believe prior to this year USC won consecutive conference championships. Do I really need to remind anyone about the 2017 Rose Bowl? :?

Now there is speculation Clay Helton is on the way out because of one down year? Therefore, what makes anyone think USC would be any better than Penn State in this regard???

And, outside the decade or so Pete Carroll ran the team, USC hasn't really been a world beater, despite having all of these so-called built in advantages.
National Champions 1911, 1912, 1969, 1981, 1982, 1986, 1994

Underlion

Postby Underlion » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:57 am

There are built in advantages at USC, also distractions, but recruiting must be easy? ND has built in advantages also but the biggest advantages are the coaching staff and WINNING. Education? Not a big seller. Close to home has some advantages.

To my way of thinking Franklin would be a fraud as he claims Pennsylvania, Family, education and leaves for any place for less than 2M more. Really PSU has a great recruiting footprint. Until we get to OSU territory, we own the North East, (VA, MD, NJ) As long as MD, Syracuse, VTech, Rutgers, or Pitt don't become powerhouses it may actually be as easy a place to recruit as any. Sure some schools utilize the absolute minimum academic standard which the NCAA continues to lower and ignore

The only PSU negatives I've heard are assistant coach pay and facilities. Since it is a business, what are the paybacks? Are we competitive with OSU and Mich?

Go throttle MD and be quiet.