Epilogue to the 2018 Penn State Season

pennstate92

Epilogue to the 2018 Penn State Season

Postby pennstate92 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:17 pm

Some thoughts:

Last year we lost Barkley, Gesicki, DeSean, Bucholtz and Torrence Brown (both to injury in preseason) along with a few other and the fanbase pretended that we would not feel the pain of that attrition. I predicted 10-2. We finished 9-3 (In fairness, I didn't see us losing to MSU at home). A successful year if measured against those personnel losses...but I find the taste of 9-3 to be a bit underwhelming. Hopefully Trace can lead us to another Big 6 bowl victory once again.

Speaking of attrition: defensively I think Oruruweh ( :lol: ) is the biggest loss - he was a ball hawk and will see NFL time. That said, I don't think the defense misses a beat. Matter of fact, I think they'll be much better than this year with the growth of our young linebackers and safeties. Garret Taylor's gonna be a stud.

If Miller stays, our dline will be stout. If he leaves, it'll still be stout, though the rotation will be one less - that's a concern if you consider the loss of Torrence Brown and Ryan Bucholtz and what their loss meant to the dline for the first 6 games of the year.

Wonder if Shane Simmons will ever be healthy enough to play - could see him retiring next year, which would be a real shame.

On offense: I suspect there will be a time or two when the fanbase will miss Trace McSorely. I don't think it's fair to place any sort of crown on Tommy Stevens' head at this point until he proves it on the field in clutch time. That said, I'm excited about his athleticism and arm strength, and am looking forward to seeing him get his shot. Having Clifford waiting in the wings is a nice deal too.

I think Miles Sanders should stay in school one more year to fix his fumble issue.

I sure hope the offensive line finally lives up to the hype in 2019. Inconsistent bunch even at the best of times. Please just let Mike Miranda start...

Loaded at wideout. Stevens will have a lot of targets. Really looking forward to seeing Justin Shorter play.

Gonna miss Blake Gillikin. For four years he was among our most valuable players. Hope the next guy is a ringer...

Hope Brent Fry stays. Not so sure on RR, didn't always like his play calls. Difference b/n him and Joe Moorhead were noticeable. Thought the hirings to replace Gattis, etc. were a step back - think CJF needs to look closely at that.

That's all I got. Shred away! :lol:
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.

Shane

Re: Epilogue to the 2018 Penn State Season

Postby Shane » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:22 pm

I could be wrong, but I thought Gilliken was a junior?

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:08 pm

I stand corrected. 1st shred scores first.
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:16 pm

Is it baseball season yet?

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:35 pm

Post Season Thoughts

Players to NFL
Oruwariye IMO would be comparable to Christian Campbell - so mid to late round draft pick
Johnson - FA
Thompkins - FA
Scott - FA
McSorley - I want to say FA but his numbers were down and he doesn't have the size pros look for. If he could have good bowl game, Senior Bowl and if he gets to combine a good showing he might find his way to a camp. I hope he gets a shot.

I think Sanders would be a late rounder - he's a quality back but fumbles are an issue and IMO he needs to develop as a receiver to be a high round pick in NFL. He's a good inside runner and gets some good chunk runs but he's not a premier home run threat and not a threat in passing game. I think if he stays and brings his game up a notch in those areas he's an upper round pick in a year.

DE is a value position in NFL so I think Miller would get picked but again I think a year of development would up his status (and given the whole line returns and LBs should be stronger his production should be great next year) and his staying power would be enhanced.

Defense
The defense got better as season progressed - being in the right position, tackling, generating TOs all improved - last 3 games - 10, 7 and 3 - maybe that means a zero in bowl game. Considering they lost their entire middle (DTs, MLB, safeties) from last year that's impressive. If Brooks and another LB can emerge and Sutherland brings that "bad attitude" from safety position given PSU should have a great DL - that's a best in conference D possibility next year.

Offense
Probably unfair but they inevitably were going to be assessed through the prism of the previous 2 years. I'd say the two primary issues were the inability to generate big plays and inconsistency in the passing game. This results in need for long drives and opens team to drive killing mistakes such as TO, penalty, dropped ball and so on. I do think the OL was better and (partly to Sanders running style vs Barkley) yielded fewer negative plays. Early in year WR drops were a big issue - back half it was McS's accuracy. I was fine with CJF sticking with #9 - he was your team captain and emotional leader - you can't bench him for a few errant passes especially when he made so many plays with his legs. IMO the big challenge for next year is to find two reliable WRs to go with Hamler and Freiermuth. Hippenhammer didn't show much so IMO 2 have to emerge from Dotson, Shorter, George and Sullivan Brown.
If Sanders comes back the play at WR will determine how far team goes.

Special Teams
At times special - Thompkins had some nice PRs, Hamler had some save our ass KRs, Gilliken is money and coverage was generally solid (other than 1st KO of year). The onsides kick issues were certainly infuriating and hopefully by next year Pinegar extends his range. Expect Hamler will handle all return duties next year and won't be surprised to see him take a punt and a KO to the house.

Coaching
The roster is stacked and the speed, athleticism and depth will really start showing itself the next few years. Obviously want to see more big name recruits come in and quickly make an impact (Parsons, Matos-Gross, Friermuth) than wonder what's up with (Wade). On offense I thought in some games the play calling became disjointed (going away from Sanders when he was getting hot and throwing when McS was cold) but overall I didn't see anything tragic. I do think they need to stress closing out plays (dropped passes, sealing TOs on D, cleaner exchanges, fewer unforced errors). And yes - they need to get the OSU, UM, MSU monkeys off their backs. Especially MSU - that is a program PSU should be beating like they are Iowa. 10-2 this year would for sure have PSU in a NY6.

Overall I'd say I'm happy with the program - 9-3 is a good year, the talent is there to be optimistic and I think the overall feeling internally in program is very positive. I'm sticking with it - NC within next 4 years.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:15 pm

McSorley - I want to say FA but his numbers were down and he doesn't have the size pros look for. If he could have good bowl game, Senior Bowl and if he gets to combine a good showing he might find his way to a camp. I hope he gets a shot.

I think McSorley's best chance is to change positions. Mobile QBs are not popular in the NFL. The view is their lifespan is just too short. When you look at the mobile QBs that have gone into the league, they have been athletic freaks. And, the last one that was drafted, RGIII, was done after a few years. Just too many hits. For every Michael Vick there are probably 50 mobile QBs that no one wants to touch. This is why Robinson didn't go to the NFL as a QB - he wanted a chance to play.

If McSorley will change to a receiver he maybe has a shot. His problem is he's a little small as a lot of these WRs are well over 6' these days.

Whatever he decides, I hope he gets a shot at the next level. He deserves it. He and Hackenberg will always have a special place in my view of PSU players. Hack because he took a huge risk and honored his commitment when he really did not have to and Trace because he turned us into a contender so quickly. I suspect his NFL career won't be substantially better or longer than Hack's but I'm still rooting for him.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:03 pm

Blue&White wrote:Mcsorley's emotional exit from Beaver Stadium

I'm going to miss this kid.

Me too. :(
National Champions 1911, 1912, 1969, 1981, 1982, 1986, 1994

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:30 am

The guy McS needs to model himself after is Russell Wilson - he needs to use his legs to extend plays and avoid negative plays - not to compensate for deficiencies in his passing game and by having a high number of planned runs (like at PSU). He hit a lot of downfield passes on his career by breaking contain and moving forward - drawing up cover - and then throwing. He needs to improve his accuracy which was simply off the back half of the season - maybe it was bad weather, maybe he was trying to be to perfect to deal with WR drop issues but he needs to show accuracy in the bowl, Senior Bowl and post season work outs.

Robinson could play alternate positions because he was physically a cement block - he had the body to play safety or fullback. Not sure if McS can physically / skill transition to another position.

BTW another name I am seeing as early entry possibility is Connor McGovern
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:35 am

Wilson has a much better arm than Mcsorley. He can sit in the pocket and run when he needs to. Mcsorley is just not the same player.

You're probably correct about him not having another real position in the NFL, but some undersized white guys have made it in the past. Maybe he can be the next Wes Welker.

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:10 am

Llama, why do you have Johnson going to the NFL? He has a season of eligibility left and it's not exactly like he set the world on fire this year.