Epilogue to the 2018 Penn State Season

sameoldlama

Re: Epilogue to the 2018 Penn State Season

Postby sameoldlama » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:47 am

Even though Clifford saw limited action I've been telling people Stevens was not a lock to start. Clifford throws a nice ball - especially deep ball. I think the 5 guys who went to NFL also has an impact - their departure makes PSU less likely to compete for a B1? title in 2019 and if you look at roster - especially on offense and the skill positions - PSU will be very young / minimal experience. It may peak in 2020-2021 so CJF may be making decision he wants a QB with a year of experience in 2020 rather than a first year starter.

Feel bad for Stevens - a combination of injuries and bad timing have limited his opportunities. Hope he finds a situation that works for him wherever that may be.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:59 am

I think the 5 guys who went to NFL also has an impact - their departure makes PSU less likely to compete for a B1? title in 2019 and if you look at roster - especially on offense and the skill positions - PSU will be very young / minimal experience. It may peak in 2020-2021 so CJF may be making decision he wants a QB with a year of experience in 2020 rather than a first year starter.

That's a good point. The decision may be based on future considerations as much as anything. I hadn't considered that. But, honestly, I'm good with that logic, too.

I also feel for Stevens, but CJF has an obligation to the program, not to a player. He's not infalliable, obviously, but you need to trust that he's doing what he thinks is best for the health and success of the program overall. I'm still ok with this. And, I still wish Stevens the best of luck and hope he finds a good spot for himself.

Oh, and cue Grower complaining about him leaving early and telling us how his dad made him stick out his violin lessons one year.
Is it football season yet?

Shane

Postby Shane » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:57 am

It's also not a guarantee yet that he's leaving, he is exploring his options. If what I'm reading is correct that he wants to be a guaranteed starter, not sure he's going to find that at many places given his injury history. Still a lot to be determined, but wish him luck with whatever he decides.

ShoreLion

Postby ShoreLion » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:18 pm

Exactly, he wants to be named the starter even though he was very limited in spring ball and has had injury issues throughout his career. He's been a good soldier and I'd love to see him rewarded but he's got to be healthy in order to do that. We'll see.

Yes, it's a young team but anymore I don't think that's as big a deal as it used to be. There are a lot of guys that have played just not as starters. The defense should be pretty freaking good. IF (why do we say this every year?) the offensive line can be better than average I think they can do some damage in the BIG. OSU also lost a lot and is breaking in a new head coach. I'm excited for the season.

Underlion

Postby Underlion » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:13 pm

Wish him well, he has been a reasonable good soldier (considered leaving once before) and he has had bad luck with his health. But when you want the primary team leadership position you don't put your name in the portal. Sorry, time to go, no hard feelings. Somebody may guarantee him a starting position IF healthy. It doesn't seem we are doing that and if Clifford is equal why start a guy with one year of eligibility?

nittwittier

Postby nittwittier » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:57 pm

He's gone. PSU has had very good recruiting at the position, so talent is there. Whether they will perform well remains to be seen of course. I think Clifford will be good personally. I like what I have seen. But an injury would mean a freshman is running the ship for us.

The Justin Fields situation is irritating me even more now...

tempe

Postby tempe » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:59 pm

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:26 am

Not surprising: Stevens hooks up with Joe Moorhead in Starkville.
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.

Nat@PSU

Postby Nat@PSU » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:21 am

I was meandering through youtube videos and came across this one:

https://youtu.be/MiQpVVz772A

Man, that 2017 team was really good and that year was quite a missed opportunity. The losses to OSU and MSU were just absolute back breakers for a team that by all accounts, should have been our first playoff team. They were EXPLOSIVE offensively and good enough defensively to stay in every game. Would have loved to see them get a crack at Clemson or Bama that year. That was our last, legit shot at a playoff.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this year as I don't think we've seen this much talent in Blue and White uniforms in my lifetime as a fan. Not sure all of that talent has the experience necessary for the leap to elite but man, am I excited to see some of these young guys play.
- Nat

Let's Go State!!