Epilogue to the 2018 Penn State Season

sameoldlama

Re: Epilogue to the 2018 Penn State Season

Postby sameoldlama » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:12 pm

Yeah I just saw that today - just seems like he was one of those guys whose been playing forever
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

nittwittier

Postby nittwittier » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:36 pm

I know that people are calling (perhaps deservedly) for the head of our ST coach. But what do we think of Limegrover? On the one hand, our RBs have played well. On the other, the offensive line continues to be an area of deficiency despite more experience and some highly recruited kids on our roster. I think next season is going to be defined by the play of the o-line. We have talented weapons (I think Hamler, Dotson, Friermuth and Shorter will put on a show) at our disposal but our inexperienced QBs will need extra protection. If the OL unit doesnt play significantly better, it could be a long year. If they play well, we could have one of the most fun offenses in the country. As we are seeing in the NFL these days, olines are somewhat about talent and a lot about coaching and playing as a unit. Hopefully Limegrover is up to the task.

Jury is still out for me on Rahne. Not quite as good as Moorhead obviously, but hard to blame him for all those drops and McSorely's dip in accuracy. I feel he makes lots of good calls that go unrewarded due to poor execution. However he has also made some real head-scratchers. This was just his first full year and our offense, though inconsistent, did put up points. I think he will be better next year.

I have a tough time with Pry. I know that is an unpopular POV on this board, but I cannot recall a time where the defense primarily won us a big game recently. And the inability to hold leads has taken years off my life. In his defense (no pun intended), the D was barren at certain positions and only now is the roster taking shape. And between the Maryland game and the first half of yesterday's game, there have been flashes of potential dominance. But I expect the defense to take a huge step forward next year. Matos and Parsons will be monsters and there are other very talented players on the roster now. Let's see if Pry can get the most out of them.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:45 pm

David Corley was fired today. Too many WR drops.

Galiano should be next.

As for Pry, the D crapped the bed a few times this year. I'm on the fence on him. I think Rahne gets another year. Also, was McSorley less accurate? Or, did his receivers make better players last year? He had more talent last year and fewer drops. I wonder how much was him taking a step back vs. not having the same play makers around him. He lost a lot of NFL caliber talent between last year and this year. So, I wonder how much of that was a factor vs. an actual drop off.
Baseball season!!!!

Shane

Postby Shane » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:25 pm

Conner McGovern and Shareef Miller have announced that they are going to the NFL. I don't know if those guys are the only two announcing, or if they are the only two that decided to announce today.

Shane

Postby Shane » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:48 pm

Ryan Bates has declared as well.

Shane

Postby Shane » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:27 pm

Kevin Givens now declares. DL gonna be thin.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:41 am

We'd better revoke Shane's posting rights or we won't be able to field a team :lol:

I think this is a deep draft for DL - curious to see how that will impact Miller and Givens vs staying. Hopefully all these guys got some good advice and their decision works out for them but two units that projected to be deep and experienced next year just got a gut punch.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

nittwittier

Postby nittwittier » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:01 pm

Sanders declared also. He's a definite NFL talent but those fumble issues are going to hurt his stock. The lives of RBs are short so I dont blame him for trying to cash in early as possible. I doubt that another year in college would have dramatically changed his prospects either.

I suppose it is a good thing that we have so many draftable players, but we are going to be watching a very young team next year!

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:28 pm

Did Sanders graduate? If so, then agree there is no reason for him to stay. I think he's a late-round pick, though. He's a good running back but he has some problems holding onto the ball and he really isn't that much better than a lot of the RBs coming out. I like the kid, and I wish him the best, but doubt he is higher than even the 4th round and wouldn't be shocked if he's lower.
Baseball season!!!!

Shane

Postby Shane » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:10 pm

I think the staff expected this one and that’s why the big push for two RBs in this class.