Epilogue to the 2018 Penn State Season

sameoldlama

Re: Epilogue to the 2018 Penn State Season

Postby sameoldlama » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:26 pm

I think Sanders bigger shortcoming is pass catching - in current NFL I think a back has to be more prepped to be part of pass game

But dang losing 5 lower classman starters stings
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:46 pm

Coming out without his degree is a mistake in my view, but I'm not him or his family. I don't have his responsibilities and have no idea what is in front of him or what people are telling him in terms of his draft placement. But, running backs are generally a dime-a-dozen in the NFL. For every Barkley - who the Giants are using in all facets of their offense and who is an incredibly gifted athlete - there are 2 dozen guys who never last more than 2 years, and are lucky to break the special teams part of the roster. Even a guy like Ezekiel Elliot, who is more of a traditional RB than Barkley, is a huge talent and not typical of what you see in the NFL these days. As Grower has pointed out a few times, it's a QB league now and QBs and WRs are the kings. RBs are just less a part of the offense.

That's the position that Sanders plays and he's good at it. But, I don't view him as elite, and it's not an elite position any longer. I hope he gets his shot and I hope he has a great career, but I think RBs that fit is style are just too common. Hopefully he picks up his degree along the way and has no regrets.
Is it baseball season yet?

Nat@PSU

Postby Nat@PSU » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:10 pm

Honestly this is only a mistake for Miles if he doesn't get drafted, and I can't believe he would make that move and not get drafted.

RB's have a limited # of carries in them, it's just too brutal of a game. He's going while he still has tread in his tires.

If he's in the league for 2-3 years he will have made a killing financially, more than enough to go back and finish his degree.

As frustrating as it is to lose 5 underclassmen starters to the NFL there are a couple of ways to view it:

1. These kids owe us nothing. They have them and their families to take care of and an NFL payday is a life-changing thing.

2. Sending lots of guys to the league is a GREAT thing for PSU recruiting. It means that PSU can develop talent. Blue-chips are definitely looking for that.

3. With regards to Miles, it's a bummer to lose depth, but I'm excited to see what Slade, Brown, Cain and Ford can do. We are STACKED with talent at the RB position. Also, Slade sure flashed a hell of a lot more his frosh year than Miles did.

I have no idea what all these early departures mean for next year. You don't get better by losing experienced talent, unless the guys behind them are WAY more talented. Am I bummed that this could be the difference between a 9-10 or 11-12 win season? Sure, but that shouldn't even cross these kids minds when making a decision. PSU is starting to experience the kinds of things that the Clemson's, OSU's and Bama's of the world do: players leaving for NFL, coaches leaving for promotions, high end recruiting consistently. I'm not 100% confident that Franklin is going to take us to the promised Land (clearly as I'm one of his most vocal critics at times, except for Chris, he dislikes CJF more than me! hahaha), but I'll be damned if there aren't a lot of signs pointing to good stuff.
- Nat

Let's Go State!!

hbendle

Postby hbendle » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:24 pm

I'm a little dismayed too with all the early departures and uncertainty it brings to the next season.
Nat@PSU wrote:2. Sending lots of guys to the league is a GREAT thing for PSU recruiting. It means that PSU can develop talent. Blue-chips are definitely looking for that.

I don't do much of anything in terms of fantasy football, but my dream what-if: form a fantasy league where all your fantasy NFL players have to come from one school only. Compare these fantasy teams, how does PSU fare, which college has the best overall contribution to the NFL?

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:29 pm

Former Penn State commit Justin Fields will take his QB skills to the 'shoe. Fields will transfer from Georgia and will officially become a buckeye after sitting out a year.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:51 pm

I was hoping Fields would have to sit out a year. I read he hired a half decent attorney to fight the year he has to sit out. Glad it didn't happen!

Next year is looking pretty good IMO!

Shane

Postby Shane » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:40 pm

He’s petitioning to not have to sit out a year due to the racist comments at the game last year. We will see how it works out but I will be shocked if he doesn’t win the appeal and is the starter next year. Just sucks that he backed out of his commitment to PSU due to family concerns that it was too far away.

Underlion

Postby Underlion » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:00 pm

To be consistent, he will have to leave OSU if anyone of equal or higher position says something equivalent to him.

I have not educated myself on the event but I'm sure he will be consistent :lol:

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:28 pm

He’s petitioning to not have to sit out a year due to the racist comments at the game last year.

So, his argument is that comments he never heard and were unaware of until they were reported in the press are the reason the rules should be changed for him? If the incident had actually involved him, then, perhaps, I see the argument. But, waving rules because someone was a knucklehead? The world is filled with knuckleheads. Bending the rules as a means of dealing with them seems like not a great idea to me.
Is it baseball season yet?

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:16 am

Lots of good stuff on this thread.

RE: guys leaving early for the draft - we still have a lot in the cupboard + a good bit of 4* and a couple 5* guys coming in and starting practice in January...which is now.

Think we'll be alright as far as depth goes.

Steven Gonzales staying, which will help. Think Menet has to make strides to take his game to the next level - seems like he had a tough time with hand placement and aggressiveness this year. Needs to get some snarl. Bates and Mcgovern...always left me wanting more. Good guys, pretty good linemen...be interesting to see how they fare in the NFL.

Love the potential look for our defense next year. Linebacker U is back! Gonna have some fast, downhill players coming into the rotation - looking forward to watching.

That said: biggest concern is Stevens. 3 years as the understudy - can he take us to the next level?

All I got - g'night!
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.