Epilogue to the 2018 Penn State Season

Blue&White

Re: Epilogue to the 2018 Penn State Season

Postby Blue&White » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:57 am

He needs to do what he thinks is best for him, but if he's not the featured receiver that's on him. Not on CJF's preference for younger receivers. Him.

I was a big JJ fan. He looks to be an awesome combination of size and speed. He's got a tremendous wingspan and that gives him a huge advantage. He could be Plaxico Burress - a guy who uses his size and height to box out the dback and then outjump everyone for the ball. The problem, however, is he can't consistently make a freaking catch.

If it's in his head, it's in his head. If he thinks he has to move on, then he should. I'm sorry to see him go but if he's leaving because he thinks CJF always favors the younger guy, that's just ridiculous. Catch the ball and watch things improve.
Baseball season!!!!

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:09 pm

Blue&White wrote:He needs to do what he thinks is best for him, but if he's not the featured receiver that's on him. Not on CJF's preference for younger receivers. Him.

I was a big JJ fan. He looks to be an awesome combination of size and speed. He's got a tremendous wingspan and that gives him a huge advantage. He could be Plaxico Burress - a guy who uses his size and height to box out the dback and then outjump everyone for the ball. The problem, however, is he can't consistently make a freaking catch.

If it's in his head, it's in his head. If he thinks he has to move on, then he should. I'm sorry to see him go but if he's leaving because he thinks CJF always favors the younger guy, that's just ridiculous. Catch the ball and watch things improve.

Agreed. Catch the ball...problem solved. Sorry to see him go and will forever remember the great catch he made in traffic to beat Iowa in the closing seconds. Best of luck to JJ.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:26 pm

PSUgrower wrote:
Shore Lion wrote:Sanders was not going to improve his stock with another year of college. I think that's the right move. I'll be interested to see where the linemen get drafted.

As far as Johnson, I don't know. He disappeared in a lot of games. I remember the great catch he made this year against OSU but that's about it. There's a lot of talent at WR so hopefully the new coach can bring them along.

We will agree to disagree on Sanders. He showed flashes at times but the hope is the offense will be a lot better next year. If Sanders is a true NFL player then he would crush people next year in college- See Saquon. PSU is slowly moving to the top of the food chain in college football so they will be losing guys here and there. I am surprised we are losing guys on the DL. I realize they had a good year but some of the dudes declaring for the NFL????From what I hear the DL pool is DEEP this year in the NFL draft.

Backs like Sanders are pretty common. He is not Barkley. Generally RBs have short lifespans in the NFL. He wasn't going to do anything next season that would rocket him to being a first round pick. All he would do is put wear and tear on his body. If he can get a paycheck more power to him.

I was talking more about the offensive lineman that declared. It's not like the line was dominant yet two of them are coming out. I'll be curious to see how they grade out.

Shane

Postby Shane » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:04 pm

Three more transfers:

Brandon Polk
Zech McPherson
Lamont Wade

Wade was former 5 star that was a big one when he verballed, just seemed to struggle a little.

Good luck to all of them.

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:29 pm

Surprised on Wade. But again, he had a lot of opportunities to do his thing and didn't make the most of it. Next man up!

Underlion

Postby Underlion » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:05 pm

Just because they filed doesn't mean they are leaving but seems likely.

Why would they leave?
1) don't like administration
2) don't feel they will get enough playing time because of depth
3) are not competitors

It is disappointing but the spin would be that our recruiting is good.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:47 pm

Pretty clear Polk wasn't going to play next year.

Agree with people who said if JJ wanted to be the primary guy he should have caught more balls. With the emergence of Hamler and Freiemuth and Dotson and Shorter expected to see more snaps and Brown / Slade / QB taking runs how many targets was he going get a game?

Hamler is going to be your return guy and Sutherland looks like Scott's replacement so Wade was going to be special teamer / reserve.

So my guess is this is about PT.

GOing to be an interesting late signing period.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

ShoreLion

Postby ShoreLion » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:35 pm

A lot of schools are experiencing this with the "portal" that now exists. Even OSU and Alabama. Like llama said, it's about playing time. I hate to say this, but the team will be pretty young in a lot of spots again next year. BUT, a lot of teams deal with that and the talent that is coming in is better than it ever has been, at least the quantity of it. So if the coaches can get these guys to play it will be alright. My big worry is Stevens because he hasn't really had that many reps at QB and he can't seem to stay healthy. Although to be fair, Trace didn't have many reps either when he got his shot and I think we can agree that he turned out ok.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:28 am

Lamont Wade announced that he is not going to transfer. That's a good way to start the work week.
Baseball season!!!!

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:23 am

Good news, indeed!
National Champions 1911, 1912, 1969, 1981, 1982, 1986, 1994