Bowl Game Projection Thread

saturdaysarebetter

Re: Bowl Game Projection Thread

Postby saturdaysarebetter » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:21 pm

Georgia would be hard-pressed to get in with two losses over one-loss conference champions Ohio State or Oklahoma, even though head-to-head they might be better than both.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:46 pm

National Champions 1911, 1912, 1969, 1981, 1982, 1986, 1994

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:58 pm

And once again PSU gets no respect! We barely lost to OSU and MSU. We played Michigan on the road and they kicked our ass. Check out Florida's losses. I hope we make it to a NY6 but who knows.

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:16 am

No respect? Seriously? 12 is pretty good. Florida probably getting a little too much love but that's it. "Barely" losing to a pretty shitty MSU team is not exactly something I'd be hanging my hat on for a higher ranking.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:29 am

I'm with Shane. If we win either the OSU or MSU game - two games we just handed over - we are a 2 loss team, in the top 10, and a NYD bowl isn't in question. Winning fixes all your problems.

Looking forward to see who we play and am probably in the minority in hoping it's Mississippi State and Morehead.
Is it baseball season yet?

hbendle

Postby hbendle » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:39 am

Blue&White wrote: Winning fixes all your problems.

Unless you're UCF.

I'd like to see Georgia, OK and OSU tank their last game. Even after that they still would find an excuse to put anyone but the undefeated team in the playoff.

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:34 pm

Sorry, Florida and Washington shouldn't be ahead of us. Again, PSU doesn't really get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to the polls. When was the last time you sat there is said, wow, I cannot believe that PSU is ranked that high! I think/hope we make a NY6 bowl because of our fanbase that travels.

psuro

Postby psuro » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:02 am

PSUgrower wrote:Sorry, Florida and Washington shouldn't be ahead of us. Again, PSU doesn't really get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to the polls. When was the last time you sat there is said, wow, I cannot believe that PSU is ranked that high! I think/hope we make a NY6 bowl because of our fanbase that travels.

It would not surprise me if the fanbase issue was one of the criteria the committee uses to determine where to slot teams for NY6. PSU has not played in Atlanta since 1966, and there are a fair number of fans within the ATL area that will buy tickets and attend the game.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:57 am

If I had to pick opponents that might "draw eyeballs" - regardless on rank - I'd say LSU or Texas

I don't think Mississippi State is a national interest game

Wouldn't mind seeing two old school rivalries - WVU or Syracuse

I think our ranking is fair - don't really have a signature win - B1? was a two team conference and PSU lost to both. Had PSU won MSU we'd be sitting pretty that didn't happen. So for me - opponent ranking is irrelevant - give me something with name recognition.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:21 am

The ratings are pretty subjective. Who can really say for certainty that we are 12 and UF is 9? We haven't played each other and I don't believe we've played any similar opponents. We are in the mid tier of the top 25 and I think that is probably about right. Maybe we are 10 but, equally, maybe we are 14. A lot of this has to do with brand recognition and size of fan base, too. They tend to rank teams who have large fan bases higher for a lot of reasons, and money is absolutely one of them. But, I don't believe for a second that voters have some kind of anti-PSU bias at this point. We lost a close game against OSU that we should have won, we lost a close game to MSU that shouldn't have been close, much less a loss, and we got our doors blown off by Michigan. 12 seems reasoanble to me.

As for the bowl game, I'd be ok with an old rival we haven't seen in a while too. And, I agree that Mississippi State isn't a big national draw game but I'd still like to see it. Just someone we don't normally play. One thing I hate about all the bowl tie-ins is it takes away the opportunity for a lot of match-ups.
Is it baseball season yet?