Post-sPitt

pennstate92

Post-sPitt

Postby pennstate92 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:24 pm

A few thoughts and rejoinders to some of the comments in the sPitt game thread.

Franklin's RPO is shotgun only. Running a sweep is much different from the shotgun than when the QB is lined up under center. It's kind of a pick your style and stick with it kind of thing - Franklin is married to the RPO, so you're not likely to see any designed sweeps where the QB's under center and pitches the ball to the RB.

Our linebackers are young, except Cabinda. He's going to have to take the lead out there, coordinate what the Beezers are doing. Another Franklinism is that he loves his secondary and his line...Beezers have always been a second thought to him, especially outside.

First two 'drives' took 12 seconds. Easy to get a bit complacent up 14 in the first half, which this team under this coach has been known to do. Kept waiting for them to get back on the field, took forever, then when they did, they didn't convert on a couple of plays. That skewed perspective a bit...

That to say this: think this team is in a great position as this season plays out. Now is the time to tighten things up, so that when the heart of the season comes calling, they're ready for the challenge.

Finally, I always knew that CJF was a 'rah-rah' guy. Never knew he was this competitive. Loved the "Pitt's no different then Akron" quote (even though the context much different than what most folks made it out to be).
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.

Underlion

Re: Post-sPitt

Postby Underlion » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:08 pm

I forget that when you won't go under center you give up quick. If the D crashes the ends of run blitzes you get forced into throwing or risking a loss. It really is a high risk, high reward offense. Not what fans are used to. A good offense for upsets...not if you are AL or OSU?

Long term it is better it wasn't a blow out. Don't need to get arrogant

Funny, remember Paterno would not do a shotgun for years and now Franklin won't go under center. :lol:

ShoreLion

Postby ShoreLion » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:22 pm

I don't care if they're under center or not but there were far too many times last year and now this year where gaining a yard would make life so much easier and they just don't get it done. Honestly I'm more comfortable watching on 3rd and 5+ versus 3rd and 1. I have very little confidence in the 3rd and 1 run plays.

I seriously doubt linebackers are an "afterthought". But you have to play to your strengths and unfortunately LB is not one of them right now. We will know MUCH more about this time in 2 weeks. I don't see anyone learning a thing from this week's game. Georgia State is easily one of the worst teams in the country. I'll be pissed if they score.

As for the "good as beating Akron" quote, what a bunch of nothing. Franklin should have just kept his mouth shut but still, the reaction around the country is hilarious. It was a lead story on ESPN for a while. All these comments saying it was "classless" Nah, I think classless is punching a woman. I wonder how many of these "outraged" pussies had anything to say about Joe Mixon? Anyway, it's nice to beat Pitt, but I don't yearn for it every year. I truly don't think that most PSU fans feel the need to play Pitt every year. I love that in upcoming years it's Virginia Tech, Auburn and West Virginia. More of that please. PSU-Pitt is not Army-Navy or OSU-Michigan. I like the even-keeled approach that Franklin takes. I'm sure he loved beating Pitt but I agree with him, why act like one game is bigger than others, especially in Week 2?

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:12 am

I don't care about rankings at the current moment but USC jumped PSU in the new rankings. USC is 4th and PSU is 5th. I would put $1000 down that if PSU beat USC in the Rose bowl last year we would be number 4 at the moment. Again, I don't care at the moment but there is zero reason USC should have jumped in front of us

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:16 am

I have been crying about this for years. We MUST have a play where QB stick hands under centers ass, takes the ball on a quick count and pushes his way for 1-2 yards for a first down. I will never understand not having this play in your repertoire.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:48 am

As a Penn State fan I don't like that USC jumped Penn State. But looking at from a neutral standpoint I understand the rationale. Penn State looked a little out of sync at times to beat a below average team. USC beat a top 15 team by a rather large margin.

I also think Franklin needs to apologize to Akron for comparing them to Pitt. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Crowbar on Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:16 am

I agree. I don't think the voters were demoting Penn State. Rather, they just promoted two teams that beat ranked opponents. Considering that Penn State hasn't beaten anyone yet, #5 is a high ranking.

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:24 am

Totally agree. Being anywhere in the top 10 at this point is very nice,but that's it, just nice. It doesn't mean a thing if you don't take care of business. Do that, and things will take care of themselves. PSU is ranked high enough that if the stars align and they're in the conversation at the end they won't get overlooked. That was the problem with last year, they had so far to climb. Not so this year.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:49 am

It was nonsense that we jumped USC last week, it's nonsense that they jumped us this week. But, none of that is as ridiculous as having rankings 2 weeks into the season. I don't care where we are ranked in September and I don't care if USC jumps us after we beat Pitt. Not in September I don't.

We have 10 games on the schedule right now. All I care about is how we do in those 10 games. Everything else will work itself out. That said, it's obviously better to be ranked high early in the season given how last year we beat OSU AND won our conference and still didn't get that playoff shot. That was ridiculous. So, I'm glad the nonsense is in our favor so far this year. But, I still think it has a tendency to work itself out.

We Are...2

Postby We Are...2 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:57 am

Not that it matters- what so Fing Ever...to anyone but the press or the poor "hurt" Pitt fans...but here is a good article explaining Franklin's comments - Post game:
https://www.sbnation.com/college-footba ... penn-state

And yes, PSU was serving Cheese with that whine...
What the H... was that? Oh, Barkley!