Citrus Bowl/Kentucky thread

hbendle

Re: Citrus Bowl/Kentucky thread

Postby hbendle » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:41 pm

That was the right idea, to pitch it to Hamler like that, but... Damn.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:41 pm

A case of too little, too late.

I wished they played like they did in the 4th quarter the whole game.
National Champions 1911, 1912, 1969, 1981, 1982, 1986, 1994

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:45 pm

hbendle wrote:Lost the 3 & out chance. And again. In hindsight the go for it was necessary.

Yeah, going for the FG at the end seemed to kill the momentum.
National Champions 1911, 1912, 1969, 1981, 1982, 1986, 1994

hbendle

Postby hbendle » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:53 pm

Well at least SU beat WVU the other day. That's a postseason win for PSU in my book.

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:03 pm

Special teams was an issue ALL year. Galiano needs to go. He's just not getting it done. I really don't know what to think about Corley. I'd give him another year.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:12 pm

I'd have to think about this some more, but it seems that they had to go for it on 4th and 7.

The upside of a TD at that point was huge. You wouldn't need a 3-and-out. You would just need to keep them off the scoreboard. The downside of not making the 1st-down/TD was not fatal. You would then need a 3-and-out and a TD. As it turned out, they still needed a 3-and-out and a TD to ensure a win. A FG just gave them a tie. And given their kicking game, I'm not sure a FG was a high probability event.
Last edited by psu_dad on Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Klaatu barada nikto

Nat@PSU

Postby Nat@PSU » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:15 pm

This game was a microcosm of the PSU season and had some of pretty much everything in it.

- Trace gets hurt, comes back, makes plays but is just not himself for most of the game

- WR drops continue

- Inconsistent (that's being kind) OL play.

- Lack of quality DT depth becomes an issue.

- ST again looks woefully unprepared and makes mistake after mistake after mistake. If the kicker hits ONE of those two misses we are at worst tied and going into OT.

- Mixed signals around being aggressive. Fake punt call in 1st quarter that hands UK points? Then you don't go for it on 4th and 6? I didn't understand kicking at that point. We had all the momentum. If they stop us they are pinned deep and it's a 1 score game. Either way we needed a stop.

- Inability to contain a power run game. Ketucky both ran the ball and stopped the run. Boom.

Ultimately this game was much like this season: flashes of what makes people optimistic for PSU's future surrounded by mountains of evidence that makes you wonder what the hell Franklin and Co are doing.

Remember when Franklin said we were done being great? I wouldn't mind going back to great. Right now we are only "good".
- Nat

Let's Go State!!

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:21 pm

They lost a lot from last year and it showed this year. We should be a lot better next year. The QB issue will be fun to watch

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:37 pm

psu_dad wrote:I'd have to think about this some more, but it seems that they had to go for it on 4th and 7.

The upside of a TD at that point was huge. You wouldn't need a 3-and-out. You would just need to keep them off the scoreboard. The downside of not making the 1st-down/TD was not fatal. You would then need a 3-and-out and a TD. As it turned out, they still needed a 3-and-out and a TD to ensure a win. A FG just gave them a tie. And given their kicking game, I'm not sure a FG was a high probability event.

That was exactly the reason I thought kicking the FG was mistake at the time that we did it. Too many things had to go right for that to work, including kicking 2 field goals. Given we were 0 - 2 on FG attempts prior to that, I didn't like our odds.

So, the thinking by Franklin was we would kick for 3 - which was not automatic - then get a stop, then move the ball down the field, and then probably kick for another 3. Better to for it on 3 and long at that point in the game.
Is it baseball season yet?

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:45 pm

Yeah not so sure about being better next year. Tommy hasn't really played a lot of QB and he can't stay healthy. Will also depend on how many guys leave early.