Citrus Bowl/Kentucky thread

Shore Lion

Re: Citrus Bowl/Kentucky thread

Postby Shore Lion » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:47 pm

I get the second guessing on the 4th down but there were so many tangible things that went wrong. Missing kicks, kicking out of bounds, punt return for TD, drops and missed throws. And the mind numbing stupid penalties.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:26 pm

I agree with that. If they hadn't stumbled through the first three quarters, it wouldn't have come down to a coach's decision.
Klaatu barada nikto

PennState03Chris

Postby PennState03Chris » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:37 pm

Nat covered my points and argument against the 4th down call. Franklin often cites stats for his in-game decisions. I wouldn't mind him tossing those statistics in the trash.

Not sure what next year will bring. Sounds like a number of underclassmen are thinking hard about jumping. Guys like Bates, McGovern, Sanders, Miller, etc.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:03 pm

My other thought on the game is that with Windsor held out due to whatever violation he had, the loss of Cam Brown early in the 2nd half due to the targeting call really came back to bite us. Kentucky pretty much neutralized Shareef Miller almost the entire game. I think he showed up on one play in the 2nd half. And, once they lost Cam Brown, then Miller was pretty much done. Whatever they were doing to keep him out they were able to double up on with no Brown.

Also, did everyone forget that KJ Hamler was there? He caught one stinking ball and I don't think they threw to him more than 3 times. That's a kid you have to get involved in the offense. The inability to utilize him was really frustrating.

Could have/should have/would have - didn't. The story of 2018. And, next year will be interesting because they won't have the legs of Trace McSorley to bail them out. They are going to have to figure out how to run that offense and move it forward without defenses having to worry about the QB pulling the ball down and running for 10 or 20 yards at a clip.
Is it baseball season yet?

Shane

Postby Shane » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:28 pm

Actually Tommy Stevens loves to tuck the ball and run, problem is that he doesn’t hand it off enough and will need to somehow stay healthy while playing when he couldn’t stay health barely playing.

Underlion

Postby Underlion » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:35 pm

This team did not over achieve. I'd estimate the prior teams the whole way thru the dark era overachieved. I still think they should have ended 10-3 or better.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:58 am

My biggest issue with the field goal was after all Trace has done over the past three years, he deserved one final shot to make what could have the most improbable of comebacks. Unfortunately, that was taken from him.

Bottom line is Kentucky played four quarters of football, Penn State played one. Hence, the reason for the outcome we saw.

All you can do now is tip your hat to the Wildcats and say job well done and wish Trace and rest of the Penn State seniors best of luck in their future endeavors.
National Champions 1911, 1912, 1969, 1981, 1982, 1986, 1994

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:22 am

Everybody has just about hit it - one last 4 hour rollercoaster ride only this one ended with a jarring abruptness.

I've been a fairly staunch defender of the coaching staff so I'll just say:

I will rent the U-Haul, get some beers and pick everyone up to drive to Galaino's house and drive him out of town.

Agree 1000% with Crow - dispense with the very logical arguments of why you go for it on 4th and 6 from the 14 (and they are there) ..... Trace was your guy - he as much as anyone symbolizes the fight back to relevance for PSU - you don't take that shot out of his hands. He's your guy CJF.

10 years from now 9-4 or 10-3 won't mean a thing - if you make it every Penn Stater knows exactly what you mean when you say 4th and 6.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:01 am

Trace was your guy - he as much as anyone symbolizes the fight back to relevance for PSU - you don't take that shot out of his hands. He's your guy CJF.

That's twice this year with the game on the line he took the ball from Trace's hands. That's what I found maddening. The last time he handed it off to Sanders -- who was tackled in the backfield.
Is it baseball season yet?

psuro

Postby psuro » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:02 pm

Happy New Year.

Game sucked.