Sandusky: final twitches

LioninVa

Re: Sandusky: final twitches

Postby LioninVa » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:46 am

I did not understand he was answering a question at a deposition; maybe I should have paid closer attention to that aspect. I know that the impetus to his involvement early on was crap he posted on a PSU football forum (just a little ironic, maybe) about the shower incident, but I don't know the specifics. I guess it is reasonable to assume that, at some point in the grand jury sequences or after, discussions took place between various coaches. I don't know if that is legal or ethical or not, but it is human nature.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:06 am

Our resident lawyer can parse this out but.....

MM testifying what TB told him is not hearsay
MM testifying what GS told TB is hearsay

And believe I saw the fire started with a SEC beat writer bringing it up when the story of UT having deal in place broke. Based on what I have read UT was aware of it and it was a part of their vetting process and they were satisfied it was not an issue - until the mob showed up.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:39 am

MM testifying what TB told him is not hearsay
MM testifying what GS told TB is hearsay

It's my understanding that the first is hearsay and the second is double hearsay. No, I'm not making that up, but I'm certainly no legal expert.

they were satisfied it was not an issue

It could be that they still feel that way, but they'd just rather not deal with the media and the mob. Not for a guy who no one believes is the next Urban Meyer or Nick Saban, anyways. I imagine they had visions of child molestation questions popping up at Schiano's introductory press conference and they sh!t their collective pants.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:56 am

Dad is correct with the hearsay/double hearsay comment. Neither one of those statements would be admissible as evidence. Typically what happens in a deposition is a question will get asked, an objection will be raised, and both sides will agree to allow the question to be answered with the understanding that a judge may rule on the admissibility of it all later. That changes if a client is asked about something that will have a direct impact on him or her, but this was a question that posed no harm to McQueary. If anything, it helped boost his claim.

As for TN, who knows. I read more stuff last night and I continue to see comments about what a bad choice he was from a football perspective with a lot of commentary about what a control freak he was in Tampa. But I also saw that a few members of that state legislator weighed in with complaints about his alleged ties to Sandusky. Those people control funding and that may have had an impact on the administrations thinking. I suppose they figured that Schiano wasn't worth the headache. He's not that great a hire.

If Urban Meyer was being offered a contract and someone made some far-fetched, unsubstantiated claim about him knowing about Sandusky I suspect the reaction and outcome would have been different.

Tennessee better find someone who is completely squeaky clean because you can bet that national media is going to be all over the background of whomever they announce next. And, if they find something that raises questions, you can bet it will be another feeding frenzy.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:49 am

Typically what happens in a deposition is a question will get asked, an objection will be raised, and both sides will agree to allow the question to be answered with the understanding that a judge may rule on the admissibility of it all later.

I have no major heartburn with depositions being made public, but I'm a little surprised they aren't redacted to eliminate hearsay testimony that puts a third party in an awkward position. Such testimony may not be admissible in a court of law, but it can still be harmful to someone's reputation in the court of public opinion.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:03 am

Typically they are not made public. I'm not clear on why this one was.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

tempe

Postby tempe » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:04 pm

man! front page of the WP - let it rest - let the dead rest.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:07 pm

At Least 14 People at Michigan State Ignored Larry Nassar Complaints For Years

At least eight women voiced concerns about Nassar’s “treatments,” and their complaints reportedly reached the ears of at least 14 MSU officials, including university president Lou Anna Simon. The women and girls who came forward included high school-aged athletes in the Lansing area and Spartans athletes competing in softball and track.

The first alleged assault by Nassar took place in 1992 but MSU officials were not notified. It wasn’t until 1997, when a 16-year-old high school gymnast named Larissa Boyce accused Nassar of abuse, that Michigan State was made aware of his actions. Boyce told the News that her coach instructed her to tell Spartans head gymnastics coach Kathie Klages what happened.

“She just couldn’t believe that was happening,” Boyce told the News. “She said I must be misunderstanding what was going on.”

Klages retired in February as the full extent of Nassar’s crimes began to take shape. Her retirement was announced the same day as a second woman accused Klages of discouraging her from reporting Nassar.
(bold emphasis mine)

Where is the outrage? Where is the NCAA investigation? Where are the sanctions? There were dozens, probably hundreds of girls molested by this scumbag over the past 25 years and no one did squat. And, while MSU denies it, there is evidenced that they f*cking knew. So, why is the NCAA not showing up and showing everyone what's what? Is it because there is no big name like Joe Paterno to take down and tarnish? Is it because it's not a big money sport like football or basketball? Or, is it because the NCAA just makes shit up as they go and won't take the time to get involved because they got beaten up last time? My guess is it's the latter.

I'm not sure the NCAA really should be sticking their nose in here but it really galls me that they aren't.

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:29 pm

Mrs. Spackler is incensed that there is no outrage in the media. Reports yesterday on the "news" had her shouting across rooms to have me change channels to see the next non-outrage report. She though it was the inviolate UM until I explained it was the less inviolate MSU and things could change but were unlikely too because Joe Paterno and the "Success with Honor" ubiquitous slogan wasn't waved in front of the media bull for years at MSU so far as I know. I have know idea what slogan MSU uses to promote themselves but we (PSU alums/supporters/fans) lived in a glass house, one that media loves to throw stones at and did for years, unsuccessfully until the nuclear opportunity appeared. "Prides goes before a fall and a haughty spirit before destruction."

Mrs. Spackler remembers the day back in 2002 when I told her while surfing BWI that a poster commented an event occurred that would take down the football program. I scoffed when I told her and she remembered, we both did in Nov 2011, wow......The shot heard round the world, really.

I doubt anyone ever said events have been occurring for many years that will take down MSU sports,ever. There is no outrage anymore, its business as usual. MSU is meaningless in the scope of news, no one to destroy here. Joe Paterno was news. Taking down a name, a program, a enigma is their sport, their stock in trade.
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:24 pm

Mrs. Spackler is incensed that there is no outrage in the media.

There are calls for MSU's President Simon to resign but it's not, near as I can tell, reached a fever pitch yet. Meanwhile, Joe was tarred and feathered over significantly less than this. I can't believe there is a question as to whether or not she resigns. And, what I really can't believe is that she has a choice in the matter. How is she not fired?

Or, is that pesky due process thing that we've all heard about but so rarely see? If so, I'm actually ok with that. What I'm outraged about is that the same media that was not ok with it in 2011 seems to have little to say about it now.