Sandusky: final twitches

Blue&White

Re: Sandusky: final twitches

Postby Blue&White » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:02 pm

Do they? You think the media is more apt to go after Joe Paterno than Roy Moore? I certainly don't. I think they would love to lead an angry mob of villagers with torches and pitchforks right to Moore's door, but that's not happening. Or, maybe it's more accurate to say that they are leading but the villagers aren't following in outrage.

Why not? Again, is it just the politics around it? Is it because he is accused of molesting a 14 year old girl instead of a 12 year old boy? Is it fatigue from all the accusations coming out about everyone now? I have no idea, but I find it interesting.

Shane

Postby Shane » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:05 pm

Are we sure Moore didn’t tell Joe Paterno? Remember, when in doubt, blame it on the dead guy.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:33 pm

It's Alabama so he wouldn't blame it on Joe. They would likely find a different corpse. Maybe Bear Bryant. Or Auburn Football. ;)

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:43 pm

6 years.

I have no words.

:cry:
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.

Jerry Garcia

Postby Jerry Garcia » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:57 pm

Blue&White wrote:It's Alabama so he wouldn't blame it on Joe. They would likely find a different corpse. Maybe Bear Bryant. Or Auburn Football. ;)

It IS Auburn football's fault. Whatever happened, they were the cause.

Luckiest team in the history of college football. :x

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:26 am

Sandusky is a pedophile. It sounds like Roy Moore is a pedophile. Why does one evoke such outrage and the other is subject to a semi-rational debate as to whether or not he should keep running or not (and I can't believe it's even a debate)? Is it just the political angle of the Moore allegation? Is it because he molested a girl and not a boy? Both? I have no idea, but the difference in reactions is amazing.

I don't find it that amazing. Six months ago, if you had asked 100 people at random "Who is Roy Moore?", you probably would have gotten 100 blank stares. The Moore story only resonates among those in the political media because no one outside of Alabama gives a rat's ass about Roy Moore.

When it comes to media attention, it's all about the person involved, not the alleged crime. If some guy who lives in in a trailer park murders his ex-wife, it's a local story that you never hear about. If OJ Simpson murders his ex-wife, it's the Story of the Century.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:53 am

Yes, I get that. I just assumed that when the person was someone running for the US Senate, it would warrant a similar level of attention as someone who coached a college football team.

Silly me.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:04 am

Silly you, indeed.

If I had to choose between being a U.S. Senator or being the starting 2B for the Boston Red Sox, it would take me about 2 nanoseconds to choose the latter. Hell, if I had to choose between the former and being a used car salesman, I'd at least have to sleep on it.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:01 pm

I just watched the 60 Minutes interview with Olympic gymnast Aly Raisman where she talked about the sexual abuse she suffered by Dr. Nasser, formally of Michigan State and now in jail. What a horror show.

What struck me the most about her interview was the end when she talked about how she appeared at an event on behalf of the women's team and she was basically snubbed by members of the US Gymnastics organization. As if she has nerve to dare complain about being molested when she was a child by a man she implicitly trusted. This scumbag will be in jail for a long, long time but it's amazing he was able to get away with it for as long as he did. It's amazing he was allowed to examine teenage girls without anyone else present for over a decade and no one questioned it.

I'm not sure why this is the moment in time when everyone decided sexually harassing and assaulting people is no longer ok, but given the sheer volume of people coming forward I'd say it's long, long overdue.

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:56 pm

Yeah, really. And it's not just sports. From Washington DC to Hollywood, these cretins are being outed, and its about time.
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.