Sandusky: final twitches

Blue&White

Re: Sandusky: final twitches

Postby Blue&White » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:28 am

My sense is no industry is immune. The number of women I personally know who are now talking about the bullshit they put up with is staggering. Hollywood and politics are just getting the press attention. And they all say they kept quiet because when it happened they thought no one would believe them, or they would lose their job or something similar.

Hopefully all these people coming forward represents a change in attitude about this behavior.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:11 am

This probably belongs in the Politics thread, but the subject seems more fitting here. Two of the ladies that I work closely with are conservative republicans. I asked them how they could vote for Trump for president after the Billy Bush tapes were released. The one woman retired from the Navy almost 10 years ago after 23 years of service and the other has been a government civilian for the Navy for nearly 30 years, so both have been around a while. The response was that they are basically desensitized to the behavior after having experienced it for so long. I found this hard to accept as a reason, but really am in no position to argue their opinion. And, I am in no way implying the liberal/democrat side is immune to this behavior.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:52 am

During the whole OJ Simpson trial fiasco, I was a pretty young lawyer and spent most of my time in the law library where I was working. I basically took a desk there and that became my "office". There were a number of women, mostly black, who worked in that library and I got to know them pretty well because I spent a lot of time with them.

Anyway, when OJ got off, every single one of them was cheering and thrilled with the outcome. I asked them something like "didn't it bother them that he probably, literally, got away with murder and did they think he didn't kill his wife". One older woman told me, paraphrasing a little bit as this was over 20 years ago, that people get away with murder all the time in this country and that white people have always gotten away with killing black people for decades. They didn't see it as a man getting away with murder. They saw it as a black man beating the system for after killing a white woman and how many innocent black men went to jail or were hung for crimes they never committed.

I disagreed with them but I let the point go. People have their own views and expectations based on their life experiences. It's a pretty good bet that Hillary Clinton never sexually harassed or assaulted anyone, but her husband sure did. Is there any real doubt that Bill Clinton is/was every bit the sexual predator that Donald Trump was accused of being? And, liberals and democrats voted for, and supported, Bill without hesitation. The Monica Lewinsky incident was the least of the things he was accused of. That was problematic because she was so young and he clearly took advantage of her, but no one said it wasn't consensual. Paula Jones, however, told a very different story. And now when it's Trump the same people who supported Clinton - and still supported Clinton - expected conservative women voters to be outraged and walk away from him. Perhaps if they had a credible choice they would have. Alas.....

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:07 am

As I recall, the Jones suit came out during WJ Clinton's run for re-election rather than during his first run; not that this makes any difference in the depth of that claim (which I believe he paid big money for after leaving office - essentially admitting it). I haven't read too much of the Moor stuff, but plan to today if it stays slow. My understanding, which could be wrong, is that the claims include 14-17 year old girls at the time but I am not clear on if it would be considered harassment or assault (again, not that one is acceptable or anything).

There are similarities and there are differences, but you are right in the political affiliation allowing for a pass.

My point about the conservative women, and I still think this, is more that the GOP is they party of rich white men. Obviously, I am oversimplifying it a bit, but that is what I see. I can understand being conservative in nature, regardless of gender, race or religion but I can't figure out how you average, run of the mill woman sees the party and thinks, I want to be part of that. But I suppose that is a different issue...

Jerry Garcia

Postby Jerry Garcia » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:56 pm

Blue&White wrote:During the whole OJ Simpson trial fiasco, I was a pretty young lawyer...

It sucks when when you can no longer get by on looks. :) (couldn't resist, it was teed up right there in front of me.)

My point about the conservative women, and I still think this, is more that the GOP is they party of rich white men. Obviously, I am oversimplifying it a bit, but that is what I see. I can understand being conservative in nature, regardless of gender, race or religion but I can't figure out how you average, run of the mill woman sees the party and thinks, I want to be part of that. But I suppose that is a different issue...

I think, LiV, that you are confusing 'conservative' with 'GOP.' My wife is "conservative in nature," is not enthralled by the GOP in any sense, but faced with the alternative party, votes Republican. I'm going to venture that many blue-state Democrats fail to understand this situation and simply shake their heads in unknowing amazement how anyone could have voted for Trump. Conversely, when I look at the party of the Clintons, Warren, Weiner, Waters, Hank Johnson, Guiterrez, Pelosi, Reid, etc., etc., etc., I also cannot figure out how someone 'wants to be a part of that.' I suppose all of this can be written off to human nature... :|

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:27 pm

Jerry, I understand that we are stuck with the republican and democratic parties, and neither one really represents the majority of its people. I am trying to not confuse conservative with republican but it is obviously not working. I consider myself to be a moderate, which is essentially a man without a country at this point. And I don't see a viable 3rd party that could make a difference because too many of us are beholden to that R or D affiliation.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:52 pm

This probably belongs in the Politics thread

That's OK. If a spammer posts here, the entire thread will disappear a day later.

Mrs psu_dad: Was that necessary?
Me: Busting chops is a guy thing. Like beer and power tools and ginormous TVs.

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:01 pm

My understanding is that Sandusky is still in jail, correct? If so, take the pseudo-political, by my own admission, I don't know what I'm talking about conversations to the toilet, or at least the political thread...whichever smells the least offensive.

Thanks.
The 'I'm not a member of the management, management.'
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.

Jerry Garcia

Postby Jerry Garcia » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:52 am

So Greg Schiano has been blackballed by Tennessee, with the administration pulling his HC offer at the eleventh hour due to Sandusky taint. I have no words, except these: I hope Tennessee never wins another football game, ever.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:00 am

I'm not convinced it was due to the Sandusky taint. I think a more likely explanation is a large portion of the Vols fan based looked at his win-loss record as an actual coach, decided he sucked as a choice, and came up with whatever they could to try to stop it from happening. His one tie to Sandusky was based on a he said/he told someone/they said scenario that was so far removed from actual events the people investigating the actual crimes of Sandusky never took it serious. Maybe that one rumor is what sank Schiano in Tennessee but I'm inclined to doubt it.

Or, put another way: would anyone here have been happy if PSU hired Schiano over Bill O'Brien or James Franklin? I wouldn't have. When his name came up the first time to replace Joe the vast majority of people here - and in the PSU community in general - had a collective view of "no thanks". Not everyone, obviously, but I don't remember reading about any PSU fans being enthused about Schiano. And, that's a guy who has some PSU ties. I can understand why TN fans wanted no part of him, and for reasons that had nothing to do with Sandusky.

All that said, I'm ok if Tennessee never wins another football game again. That doesn't bug me at all.