Sandusky: final twitches

Shore Lion

Re: Sandusky: final twitches

Postby Shore Lion » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:04 am

I believe there was a court document where McQueary alluded to Schiano telling him he'd seen JS with a boy in the shower. Never substantiated but it's in the official record. It's just the gift that keeps on giving.

God, if only the one guy we KNOW actually saw something would have told the cops instead of his father!

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:22 am

I'm not convinced it was due to the Sandusky taint. I think a more likely explanation is a large portion of the Vols fan based looked at his win-loss record as an actual coach, decided he sucked as a choice, and came up with whatever they could to try to stop it from happening.

That's my take, also. I'm sure that like any college campus, UT has its share of snowflakes that are offended by everything. And the others who simply didn't like Schiano as a coach jumped on the snowflake bandwagon because it was there.

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:26 am

Schiano's reputation was hurt by sliding results the last two years of his time at Rutgers. Before then, he had a pretty good run. I thought at the time he was a decent HC (although I wasn't particularly excited by his candidacy for the Penn St job). I think, like most, UT alums used any excuse at their disposal to make this a no go. Either way, hope he gets another shot.

Speaking of coaches back in the day, what's Al Golden up to?
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:35 am

Golden is a position coach with the Detroit Lions. I think their HC (Caldwell) was with PSU when Golden played for them. That's probably how he got the job.

Nat@PSU

Postby Nat@PSU » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:41 am

Tennessee fans didn't want Schiano because they didn't think he was a good enough big name coach to take over their program. Literally NONE of this outrage has anything to do with the moral high ground. If they thought he could win there he would be welcomed with open arms.

Their sanctimony with respect to the Sandusky ties and pretending that this is about moral character is laughable. I'm with JG, I won't be sad to see them toil in mediocrity forever.
- Nat

Let's Go State!!

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:55 am

Their sanctimony with respect to the Sandusky ties and pretending that this is about moral character is laughable

Agree, and that is not a failing unique to Tennessee. A winning coach will be forgiven for almost anything, unless it involves children or results in a prosecution. And even then I think it depends on what the prosecution is for. But, winning washes away a lot of sins.

Man, our society has some seriously screwed up priorities.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:11 am

The disturbing aspect of the Schiano fiasco is a continuation of the social media mob influence - if the well paid, theoretically qualified people in your organization properly vetted a candidate and you instantly rescind a job offer because "cooterluvshooters" and "inbrednproud" and the rest of the social media troll army pitched a fit we are all headed to a dim future.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:29 am

I don't know. The fans pay the bills, right? They go to the games, they buy the merchandise, they watch on TV and provide the ratings that make it all possible to sell advertising. You ignore them at your peril. How many PSU fans felt ignored by the administration after they spent years supporting the team and then got frozen out of their seats by the STEP program. We had a lot of empty seats for a few years over that (the sanctions obviously didn't help either).

The reality is that you will never make 100% of your fan base happy. Someone will always be upset. But, if you cross too many of them, they can take you down. I'd be wary of responding to internet outrage, but I'm not bothered if the people who actually pay for the product are given some voice in the process and decisions.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:48 am

I'm not bothered if the people who actually pay for the product are given some voice in the process and decisions.

But when that happens, it almost always means the product sucks. Do you think Bill Belichick spends 5 minutes a year worrying about what the fans think of his process and decisions? Or Nick Saban? If the product is great, you don't have to listen to the fans, They'll show up. Heck, they'll trample each other to get in.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:51 am

There's a difference between fans / consumers / rationale human beings and social media trolls. I sincerely doubt UT's kneejerk reaction was the result of a scientific poll of alum, donors and season ticket holders.