Sandusky: final twitches

Blue&White

Re: Sandusky: final twitches

Postby Blue&White » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:23 am

The US Olympic Committee has told the remaining board members of USA Gymnastics must all resign by January 31 or they will terminate USAG's status as the sports governing body.

Now there's the rush to judgment we've all come to expect.
Is it baseball season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:50 am

I'm not sure whether it's a rush to judgement or a matter of throwing someone else under the bus to prevent the bus from maybe running you over.
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:02 am

I hadn't seen that the USOC itself had been implicated but maybe that's coming. Most likely they just want to be seen as doing "something".

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:40 am

I don't know that they've been implicated, either, but I saw something a couple of days ago (in the WaPo, I think) about a U.S.
Senator requesting a Congressional investigation of the USOC to see if they were in any way responsible for this mess.

It's probably only a matter of time before the torches & pitchforks crowd turns to them.
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:28 am

Maybe. I think the outrage has been really subdued to this point. Maybe that's what Congress is afraid of. It reminds me of a line from Young Frankenstein: "A riot is an ugly thing, and it's about time we had one".

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:33 am

Or, in the words of Rahm Emanuel: "Never let a serious crisis go to waste".
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:41 pm

Michigan State AD Mark Hollis has now resigned. The body count is getting high.

I wonder what the end game is here for at least MSU? Do they think this house cleaning will somehow protect them from liability? Because it won't. The number of women coming at them now could be in the hundreds. This payouts can easily dwarf what PSU paid out over Sandusky. The sheer number of women who showed up to tell their stories at Nassar's sentencing hearing was staggering, over 150. The state of Michigan may find itself holding the bill for this because I can't imagine MSU can absorb all of it by itself. I'm obviously speculating here, but I can see this getting into hundreds of millions of dollars. The NCAA is the least of their worries, but I'm gad that board member thinks they have bigger things to worry about.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:46 pm

This is obviously not my area of expertise, but I read something recently (forget where) that different states have different laws regarding the state's liability in civil cases against them. The article suggested that MI was a particularly difficult state to sue for big bucks.
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:00 pm

I wonder how that carries to a state owned entity like Michigan State, though. I suspect the state itself is fairly well insulated but if MSU takes on enough liability where she is taking on water, I can't see how the state would not intervene.

I guess there is also a question of if they fight back. If that SI article about how they knew is accurate, I think they are likely screwed. And, if they have the kind of reporting requirements that PA has, some of these people may still be looking at criminal charges.

it's going to be a mess for a while and they will never fully escape it.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:10 pm

Perhaps the secretary of their BOT will have to allot more than "10 minutes" to discuss this topic when preparing the agenda for their next meeting.
Klaatu barada nikto