Iowa Pre-Game

We Are...2

Re: Iowa Pre-Game

Postby We Are...2 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:58 am

Again, love reading the Iowa pre-game threads. They seem to be getting a "quite" confidence that they will pull this one out. Reason being (and this was mentioned about 100 times).
PSU lost to Pitt last year, got blown-out my MeatChicken and then struggled to beat Indiana. What I find ironic is the fact that they completely missed that during the Indiana game and from there out, PSU was a completely different team. They also failed to mention that this team has started each of the 3 games this season FAST, which is a far cry from how we played last year.
They also like to stand on the fact that it will be our first away game and that we aren't the same team away. I will give you that one, no team is the same away - hence, home field advantage. But to think that PSU will be intimidated by playing at night in Kinnick Stadium, that to me is a stretch.
I just haven't seen any factors that would suggest Iowa can slow down PSU. And there is still speculation that their top RB may not be 100%.
I think we will see how good this PSU team is Sat. night - some of the vanilla plays will go away and we will see how dynamic this offense can be. I am betting on Gesicki having a big game.
What the H... was that? Oh, Barkley!

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:01 pm

Apparently those folks are discounting that PSU did pretty well against Iowa last year and only lost one key starter on O, have reasonably replace starting losses on D and look stronger on special teams.

IMO the only advantage I see Iowa having vs last year is this being a night home game.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:32 pm

We Are...2 wrote: I will give you that one, no team is the same away - hence, home field advantage.

For some reason, I immediately thought of the Captain Obvious commercials when I read that line.

I have read a few previews but haven't seen too much of Iowa in the first three weeks. My brain goes back to some of the less than thrilling games that we have lost to them, but those were from a different time; especially the one where they took a safety. Just typing that pisses me off...

The one statistic that I keep seeing in the previews is Iowa's record against Top Ten teams at home and that they win those games. But I don't see the relevance of a statistic that has nothing to do with either team on the field. Of course, if it support us, I would probably dig it, so...there's that.

My gut feeling is that Iowa may come out a little more jacked than us only because it is a night game at Kinnick. I expect the teams to settle into who they really are after a drive or two each and Penn State should be able to pull away for the eventual victory. My only prediction on the score is that, if it isn't close, I won't make it to the end.

We Are...2

Postby We Are...2 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:55 pm

What's the mindset heading into this game? McSorley can sum it up..."keep the foot on the pedal"

Q: Through three games, what have you learned from self-scouting the offense and where it can improve?

McSorley: It's nothing that you can see on film, but it's more of our mindset. We can definitely improve there, from an all-around standpoint. Having that mindset and that kind of killer instinct that coach Franklin has talked to us about. We've had a couple games where we amped up early, but there's always a point where we have a lull and kind of fall off and we have a couple drives where we're not playing to our best ability. So I think it's having that killer instinct and we can get up earlier on teams and be able to keep pressing on and keep the foot on the pedal.

This team is a reflection of Franklin...one game at a time. Iowa, Iowa...Iowa!

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:11 pm

Pete Fiutak is predicting a 23-20 Iowa win. Iowa can certainly win but I just don't see them holding PSU to less than 3 touchdowns. It kills him that PSU is good again.

We Are...2

Postby We Are...2 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:45 pm

Another tid-bit that let's you know this team is a much different team than last year (at least in the mind-set):

Barkley on what he learned in last year's Iowa game that applies now

"The thing that sticks out to me the most is we really wanted to focus on starting fast. That's when we really hit our groove, but it started in the second half, and Coach Franklin and all the coaches challenged us to start fast and set the tone. We had a big kick return, and then went and scored a touchdown. That really stood out to me and that's something we need to continue to do: Start fast and not be a second half team, and set the tempo for the game."

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:17 pm

Shore Lion wrote:Pete Fiutak is predicting a 23-20 Iowa win. Iowa can certainly win but I just don't see them holding PSU to less than 3 touchdowns. It kills him that PSU is good again.

Haters gonna hate. Such is life.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:18 pm

I have been a little preoccupied this evening helping my son move. I was planning on reading the CFN preview in the morning to see where anti PSU Pete had us. I guess I don't have to now, so thanks for saving me a few minutes, Shore!

We Are...2

Postby We Are...2 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:35 am

Anyone else ready to get this one started? Being the first "true" test for this team...Sat. night can't come fast enough. After Sat. night the anxiety of where this team really stands should be eased. Expectations are running so high...I hope this game shows we are ready to meet them.
We know the weapons are in place - it's all about execution!

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:07 am

I believe this group of young men is doing their best to shake off that image of a slow starting, 4th quarter, team. At least, that is what I am getting from some of the interviews and articles. They have done a decent job of this in the first three games, but it could be argued that they are doing it against far inferior opponents.

I say this because a co-worker (who is a Florida Gator) asked me who we had this weekend. When I told him, "Iowa, away at night" his response was that this could be a trap for us. He added that swapping any one of those factors makes it a game only Nittany Lion fans would want to watch but all three together gives Iowa a chance. I am guessing that this is why many sports personalities and guesser are calling for a closer game that we are expecting.