Iowa Pre-Game

We Are...2

Re: Iowa Pre-Game

Postby We Are...2 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:13 am

I am getting the same vibe from what I am hearing and reading. My hope is that we go into Sat. night's game and explode early - take the fans out early! That is what fuels Iowa at home - if PSU can get up early, many will start to remember what happened last year.
I really don't want this game to be within 20 points. But more important is to see PSU deal with and overcome playing a good team. This could make or break their mind-set for BigTen play. Indiana is no slouch and having a good game Sat. night might ease the prep for Indiana - that said:
IOWA, IOWA, IOWA...

PS:
When you are in the top 5, you are always on Upset alert! Comes with the ranking...

PPS: I think we will see the 2 QB set for RPO - and they get a big play on the option to Gesicki on a short pass. I have a felling the we will see the RPO be very difficult to defend. Barkley in the flat - hit on the run is dangerous!

PPSS:
Some game week thoughts:
1. Franklin and McSorley both remarked that execution at Tuesday's practice was crisper than expected. Both attributed the improvement to players' extra film study and the team settling into its in-season routine.
2. Barkley believes he's improving every day as a kick returner and that stems from trusting the system and blocks set up ahead of him.
3. Nelson says he is 100 percent and feels better than he did two weeks ago preparing for the Pitt game, when he saw his first game action this season.
What the H... was that? Oh, Barkley!

Underlion

Postby Underlion » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:58 pm

If the X-Spurts don't think we can beat Iowa by more than 7 in Iowa then they shouldn't have us ranked 4 or 5 at this point. First 3 weeks of the season is a beauty contest. All show no go. Time for the GO. If no GO then PSU has a problem with UM and OSU. Time for this team to play up to it capability, the prior 5 have played over their heads.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:23 pm

I agree with you, Underlion. We have been ranked 4 or 5 after each game but when it comes time to predict a winner it is "call me when you beat someone good" or "if you get left out at the end, it because of the creampuff start to the season." As if Penn State is the only team to schedule an easy game or two in September. Sure, Pitt was off this year but we didn't know that when we scheduled them...

Underlion

Postby Underlion » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:30 pm

I hope Pitt played us tough. They gave away the game last week.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:21 pm

WE ARE!

Underlion

Postby Underlion » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:32 pm

Watching the Iowa State-Iowa Game. Iowa State loaded the box and was effective at time. The Iowa QB missed some open receivers long. In the first half Iowa's offense was a mix of runs and short passes. Not much pass pressure by Iowa State. Iowa State had several tackles for loss. Wadley had a good game, seemed like he did better receiving than running.

Offensively State had a lot of yardage passing. Open receivers. State had a big receiver 6'7" that gave Iowa problems. Iowa had trouble picking up the back in coverage.

So Iowa was not loading the box to stop the run and was still leaving receivers open.

Iowa was penalized more than you expect from an Iowa team.

I expect that PSU has a better team in all areas than Iowa State. They did score 38 in regulation.

PennState03Chris

Postby PennState03Chris » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:14 am

This game has me nervous, not because of Iowa, but because of weaknesses we've shown thus far this season.

Would love to see us put it all together and hammer the Hawkeyes. Hope Franklin plays into the pink locker room at Kinnick the same way OB did back in 2012, when he had the kids where pink gloves and pink towels - take a potential negative and turn it into something fun and/or positive.

No idea on the score, but we *should* win this.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:55 pm

Crowbar wrote:WE ARE!

Ok, so you all are going to leave me hanging? :(

Well, on the positive side there will be no Paterno led vanilla offense. Yes, I still have nightmares about 2008. But that was a completely different era. God Bless Joe, but there is a whole new mindset in Happy Valley now.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:00 pm

Here you go, Crowbar...

PENN STATE!!!

That said, I am still caught off guard here in Norfolk when someone says "We Are!!!" to me when I am in WalMart or wherever. I wear school t-shirts so often that I forget I have them on!

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:13 pm

Michigan looks pedestrian against a resurgent Purdue
Maryland looks awful against UCF - MD lost their starting QB in that game

And here's the game to keep an eye on: Okla State losing thus far to TCU - TCU winning the TOP battle, and Ok State's defense is terrible. There's a recipe there for Iowa's success, though our defense is much better than Ok State's.
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.